PDA

View Full Version : We don't have the luxury of benching our most talented players

Skooby
01-01-2012, 03:24 PM
Chan benching Stevie lowered our chances of winning, pretty F-in stupid for a coach hanging on to a job.

Mr. Pink
01-01-2012, 03:25 PM
Either Chan knows that his job isn't in jeopardy or he plans on quitting. Either way, he wouldn't care what he did. Then again, we've all seen 2 years worth of him not caring what he does on Sundays so why change now?!?

Still hoping he quits because I don't think Ralph has the guts to fire him.

Novacane
01-01-2012, 03:26 PM
He's not hanging on to his job.

imbondz
01-01-2012, 03:26 PM
if Chan said before the game, if you get a penalty for celebrating, you'll be benched the rest of the game. then he had to do it, otherwise, it was ridiculous all around

mrbojanglezs
01-01-2012, 03:27 PM
hanging on to a job? LOL you guys are clueless. Chan is 100% safe

kingJofNYC
Steve's a dumb ****, if that's what it takes to get a point across so be it. It was harmless, but in the NFL it's a penalty and he ****ing knows that by now. Cost his team with his selfishness. Grow up or sit down.

Novacane
if Chan said before the game, if you get a penalty for celebrating, you'll be benched the rest of the game. then he had to do it, otherwise, it was ridiculous all around

What if he told him after the Jets game that he's getting benched if it happens again?

Mr. Pink
01-01-2012, 03:29 PM
hanging on to a job? LOL you guys are clueless. Chan is 100% safe

And so are us fans safe of not having to worry about playoff football then!

I'm excited, are you?

Buddo
01-01-2012, 03:34 PM
It's either a team game, or it isn't.
Gailey did something to reinforce the idea that it is a team game, after Stevie did something that was all about him.
Good for Gailey.

Billz_fan
01-01-2012, 03:35 PM
New Poll idea, how many different threads about this will be made in the next 2 days :D

clumping platelets
01-01-2012, 03:47 PM
:popcorn:

clumping platelets
01-01-2012, 03:47 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPHo72HjzYc

Tribute to Stevie :D

Skooby
01-01-2012, 04:00 PM
New Poll idea, how many different threads about this will be made in the next 2 days :D

Pretty simple concept that we have no depth.

The Natrix
01-01-2012, 04:15 PM

haha, you know there is going to be the guys who start almost identical threads on Monday, without even reading the others first.

And another maybe one or two tonight.

I'd put the over/under at 3.

Lone Stranger
01-01-2012, 04:18 PM
Benching Johnson was a no-brainer. The guy's an egomaniac who never learns ala Chad Ocho. I can't believe anyone is questioning the benching.

YardRat
01-01-2012, 04:28 PM
No, we don't have the luxury of continuing to coddle players that cost us games via dropped passes or stupid, immature penalties.

This is on Stevie's own shoulders, and nobody else's.

TigerJ
01-01-2012, 07:57 PM
I figure if you're going to take a stand that could cost you a game now, but might stop future celebration penalties that might cost you games in the future, the ideal time to do it is in a game where there is no material benefit to winning.

The only things Buffalo would have accomplished by winning today were: A. costing NE home field advantage al the way through the playoffs and B. dropping a spot or two in the draft order.

I can live with NE having home field advantage. They aren't going to win the Super Bowl in any case.

Borosai
01-01-2012, 08:03 PM
Gailey was right in this case.

PromoTheRobot
01-01-2012, 08:09 PM
What if he told him after the Jets game that he's getting benched if it happens again?

Actually Chan did tell the players right after the Jets game.

PTR

ThunderGun
01-01-2012, 08:26 PM
because losing this game hurt us, how exactly? We weren't going to make the playoffs, and now we'll have an earlier draft pick (which we'll probably blow on another rb). We had nothing to play for anyway, so Chan may as well be a man of his word.

Chan said earlier in the year that anybody who drew a penalty for celebration would get benched for the game. He had to bench Stevie.

Now...it shouldn't have been a penalty in the first place, but that's what happens when you play the patriots.

Skooby
01-01-2012, 09:30 PM
Field the best team available & win the game. Stevie might of changed the game & the Pats didn't sit Wes or Gronko, F-in stupid Bills.

Guys, we suck & the coaches are playing games with Fitz' best target, pretty dumb if you want to win.

Chan: I'll show Stevie we can lose by sitting him, lol.

Stupid M-F, he better be fired by Monday night.

ThunderGun
01-01-2012, 09:35 PM
Field the best team available & win the game. Stevie might of changed the game & the Pats didn't sit Wes or Gronko, F-in stupid Bills

"might of"?

Skooby
01-01-2012, 09:52 PM
"might of"?

He would of, it's the straw that broke Chan's back. Chan just has to go, Stupid F.

Cleve
01-01-2012, 09:56 PM
I'm fine with a coach disciplining the players - but fine him or something like that- discipline him in a way that doesn't potentially effect the outcome of the game negatively for your team.

Gailey should have never boxed himself in a corner like that so that he was forced TO do that or lose all authority over the team. There was a reason nobody else hired this guy as head coach during all those years he was inactive. We're seeing those reasons - first year 4-12, now the team melting down to 6-10 and in complete disarray, stupid public declarations, ad nauseum.

Skooby
01-01-2012, 10:00 PM
I'm fine with a coach disciplining the players - but fine him or something like that- discipline him in a way that doesn't potentially effect the outcome of the game negatively for your team.

Gailey should have never boxed himself in a corner like that so that he was forced TO do that or lose all authority over the team. There was a reason nobody else hired this guy as head coach during all those years he was inactive. We're seeing those reasons - first year 4-12, now the team melting down to 6-10 and in complete disarray, stupid public declarations, ad nauseum.

Huge F-up to sit a player that literally tilts the game towards you, what was he thinking ?

Cleve
01-01-2012, 10:09 PM
Huge F-up to sit a player that literally tilts the game towards you, what was he thinking ?

He was trapped by his own words. It was dumb - he defeated himself. He shouldn't make such idiotic public statements and put his reputation on the line.

There were numerous other options for disciplining Johnson besides benching him in the last game of the season, and very possibly allowing the Patriots to win by doing so.

Bill Cody
01-01-2012, 10:24 PM
He was trapped by his own words. It was dumb - he defeated himself. He shouldn't make such idiotic public statements and put his reputation on the line.

There were numerous other options for disciplining Johnson besides benching him in the last game of the season, and very possibly allowing the Patriots to win by doing so.

A thousand times NO. These players don't care about fines, they're making too much money. A benching gets a players attention. And with a young team it's necessary to send a message to the others that team comes first. I'm fine with it. Besides, Stevie playing or not wasn't the reason the Pats scored 49 unansered. Why is this about what Chan did? Stevie is the imbecile.

Skooby
01-01-2012, 10:25 PM
A thousand times NO. These players don't care about fines, they're making too much money. A benching gets a players attention. And with a young team it's necessary to send a message to the others that team comes first. I'm fine with it. Besides, Stevie playing or not wasn't the reason the Pats scored 49 unansered. Why is this about what Chan did? Stevie is the imbecile.

Lucky Haggan stepped up with the rest of our talented WR core, it worked out quite well (for NE). Kraft and Bellick probably laughed all the way to home field advantage.

Bill Cody
01-01-2012, 10:32 PM
Lucky Haggan stepped up with the rest of our talented WR core, it worked out quite well (for NE). Kraft and Bellick probably laughed all the way to home field advantage.

You are seriously delusional if you think Johnson changes that outcome. It boggles the mind that you want a team culture that allows selfishness to thrive. I would guarantee you if Johnson was a Patriot BB would have done the same thing. Losing sucks. But losing is worse when you don't play as a team. It simply cannot be tolerated. This was a premeditated act of idiocy by Stevie.

Marvelous
01-02-2012, 12:16 AM
Chan benching Stevie lowered our chances of winning, pretty F-in stupid for a coach hanging on to a job.

-Hey bro, this isn't an attack on you, but your horrible P.O.V.

-Chan had to bench him because he has to have control of the team. Even players coaches, like Chan must maintain control. This is coaching 101.

-But thread starter aside---
-This caused heated debate in my house today because WE NEEDED HIM BAD!
WR is such a team need. Look who our #2 was. you kidding me! I'm mad@ Stevie Johnson for needing attention so bad that he hurt the team AGAIN & This time i do believe it cost us the game. Because we we're on fire in 1st quarter. & I really needed & wanted my SWEEP!
---Maybe Chan could benched him for a quarter, but imo Stevie might have been rude in lockeroom about being "outta here", which ive rumored more then once.

--WR is a major offseason need. Not a 1st round need, but 2 need o be drafted and one of em needs to be 2nd or 3rd orund.. Free Agency is a huge WR importance to us. We neeed capable guys who can just move chains with hands. We dont neeed a homerun.. Although we'd love a Brandon Loyd, or Mike Wallace type. But Fitz needs a clutch guy more then a star right now.. Clutch like the tall Gator udfa WR Nelson, who was on fire in 1st quarter o' season..
---1ST orund still needs to be skilled ONLY until we are worthy to play & gamble with sexy picks...OT & DE are #1,,,and,,LB,WR,CB are #2---TE=NOWAY! although im getting old and starting to forget Metzelaars & even that half a seaosn Riemersma gave us w/ Fluite.... Too early for my draft insight/bickering..

--Bottom line, i blame Stevie, not Chan! Sucks cause we needed him & imo it cost us tosays game....

BillsFever21
01-02-2012, 12:31 AM
In the grand scheme of things who really cares if Johnson was benched? Chan sucks but he warned the team before the game and Johnson still did it. He had no choice but to bench him.

It's not like this game had playoff implications for us. It was another meaningless game that we've grown accustomed to. Even if Stevie wouldn't have been benched we still would've lost anyway.

We were on fire in the first quarter but be serious about it. Do you really think we would've kept up even close to that pace? Not a chance. Brady has his offense moving at the start of the second quarter and they still would've won.

If we couldn't hold onto a 21 point lead even without Johnson then we didn't deserve to win or wouldn't have won with him the entire game. Hagan played pretty good in his place anyway.

Jan Reimers
01-02-2012, 04:41 AM
Neither do we have the luxury of allowing an idiot to continually hurt the team with his unthinking, incomprehensible stupidity.

He deserved to be benched, particularly in light of the entire team being warned, after the Jets' game, that there would be consequences for such actions.

I think Stevie should be fined, then re-signed. He's a moron, but he's the best receiver we have.

At some point, he will probably grow up.

mush69
01-02-2012, 04:57 AM
Neither do we have the luxury of allowing an idiot to continually hurt the team with his unthinking, incomprehensible stupidity.

He deserved to be benched, particularly in light of the entire team being warned, after the Jets' game, that there would be consequences for such actions.

I think Stevie should be fined, then re-signed. He's a moron, but he's the best receiver we have.

At some point, he will probably grow up.

I'm not willing to wait that long! Get the *******ing guy outta the locker room right now! Your season is over Steve and your services are no longer needed this year. End of story and Chan takes the heat but stands by his descision.

Skooby
01-02-2012, 06:47 AM
Chan set himself up with the I'm going to sit anyone who celebrates, who do you think this was directed towards?? Haggan??

It's Stevie stays or Chan goes, I prefer Stevie.

BillsFever21
01-02-2012, 07:41 AM
Chan set himself up with the I'm going to sit anyone who celebrates, who do you think this was directed towards?? Haggan??

It's Stevie stays or Chan goes, I prefer Stevie.

There is a big difference between celebrating on pure emotion with your teammates along with spiking the ball after scoring a TD and drawing attention to yourself with them type of antics that only penalize and hurt your team.

Them type of celebrations are only to draw attention to yourself and get on Sportscenter. They only hurt your team when you give them a 15 yard penalty in the process. When you're a losing team you have no business acting like a ****** after scoring a TD let alone if you are a winning team.

Skooby
01-02-2012, 08:11 AM
There is a big difference between celebrating on pure emotion with your teammates along with spiking the ball after scoring a TD and drawing attention to yourself with them type of antics that only penalize and hurt your team.

Them type of celebrations are only to draw attention to yourself and get on Sportscenter. They only hurt your team when you give them a 15 yard penalty in the process. When you're a losing team you have no business acting like a ****** after scoring a TD let alone if you are a winning team.

Dude, he flashed Happy New Years 2012 on a T-shirt.

YardRat
01-02-2012, 08:18 AM

And he's a dumbass for planning it, and pulling it off in the end zone after a TD.

'Media whore'. Not a team player, obviously.

He needs to get over that, and should've grown out of it completely this season after the Jets debacle.

Skooby
01-02-2012, 08:20 AM
And he's a dumbass for planning it, and pulling it off in the end zone after a TD.

'Media whore'. Not a team player, obviously.

He needs to get over that, and should've grown out of it completely this season after the Jets debacle.

If his undershirt said NIKE / REEBOK instead of a league approved logo, would he then also be in the same spot?

Fixxxer
01-02-2012, 08:29 AM

And if you noticed, the WRs stepped up to the challenge of not having Steve on the field. Even Martin could catch the ball. Hagan had a productive day and only Naaman dropped a ball.
Had they dropped every single ball thrown to them the benching wouldn't have worked. We didn't lose this game because of bad WR play.

I hope Steve can focus and realize what is most important for his carreer. We need to re-sign him.

BillsFever21
01-02-2012, 09:04 AM
I don't care what his shirt said. It could've said **** Patriots on it and it wouldn't have mattered. The issue is that it was planned and he knew it was going to draw a penalty. It also isn't even close to the first time he's had foolish penalties like that.

I have no problem with celebrating after a TD but when it's something that you know will get you a penalty and hurt your team then that's where you have to draw the line. He could've went on the sideline and lifted up his jersey to show the shirt or whatever other antics he wants to draw attention to himself if he wanted to but not on the field of play where he knows it will draw a penalty.

Great players get their attention and noticed by being a dominant player on the field. Players that aren't up to that level that want attention needs to draw attention to themselves in that kind of way.

better days
01-02-2012, 09:20 AM
As a Bucs fan, I can tell you an undisciplined team does not win. I was a fan of the Bucs HC Raheem Morris last year, he is a "players coach". The problem is the players in that locker room all view him as a friend & not the boss.

A HC MUST maintain discipline or a team will not win. The Bucs were like a rudderless ship this year because the HC did not/could not maintain discipline. The players all went in the direction they wanted to go during the game instead of following the game plan.

Rhonde Barber the future HOF Buc CB & team leader said as much before the last game. Raheem MUST be fired & the Bucs will need to hire a disciplinarian to restore discipline on that team.

Chan did the right thing sitting Stevie when he pulled that crap. As much as I am a fan of Stevie, if he does not learn his leason from this, I don't want the Bills to resign him.

And for those that want Chan fired, I would like to remind you that the Redskins have finished 6-10 two years in a row under Shannahan, & they don't appear to be in any better shape going into next year than the Bills do.

Shannahan is a coach many on this board wanted the Bills to get as their HC, & Snyder the owner of the Skins did everything he could to help Shannahan get the players he wanted.

It is not easy to fix a team that has been broken as long as the Bills have been, it takes TIME, but I think Buddy & Chan are on the right track. If Stevie must go, then I am for getting a WR EARLY in the draft.

kishoph
01-02-2012, 09:26 AM
It's simple, if Chan tells the team, if you're going to cost the team by being penalized for celebrating, you're going to sit the rest of the game at least, you don't go and ignore what your Head Coach says and do it anyway. It has nothing to do with why he was called for it, Chan said that he didn't agree with the call, that it wasn't called before, but still he has to stand by his rules, or why even bother making any. What Stevie did was harmless, not near as insulting as what Hernandez pulled, but he drew the flag. Chan did what he had to do, in the GDT, I called for him to be benched right after it happened, but I did say for the rest of the half. Chan did the right thing, hopefully Stevie will learn.

YardRat
01-02-2012, 03:37 PM
And if you noticed, the WRs stepped up to the challenge of not having Steve on the field. Even Martin could catch the ball. Hagan had a productive day and only Naaman dropped a ball.
Had they dropped every single ball thrown to them the benching wouldn't have worked. We didn't lose this game because of bad WR play.

I hope Steve can focus and realize what is most important for his carreer. We need to re-sign him.

Spiller had stone hands more than a couple times.

better days
01-02-2012, 03:43 PM
Spiller had stone hands more than a couple times.

The Bills did not lose that game because of Spiller.

Skooby
01-02-2012, 07:24 PM
The Bills did not lose that game because of Spiller.

We also didn't win with Stevie down.

The Jokeman
01-02-2012, 07:29 PM
I don't care that we lost yesterday because the game was meaningless however if Gailey were to do that with a playoff spot on the line I'd fire him on the spot. Discipline is fine perhaps sit him for the first half but for the entire game was foolish. I just hope it doesn't leave Stevie a bad taste in his mouth when looking a free agent contracts when has decide to stay here or sign with a team like Cleveland or Chicago.