PDA

View Full Version : HA HA NY Jets Santonio Holmes Quit

paladin warrior
01-01-2012, 11:07 PM
Do you think Bills need him ( Santonio Holmes)

Teammate: Jets WR Holmes quit during loss to Dolphins

More Columns > (http://www.nfl.com/news/author?id=)

<!-- start left column --><!-- start page:applyDecorator --> A season full of public-relation nightmares for Santonio Holmes (http://www.billszone.com/players/santonioholmes/profile?id=HOL657297) ended with another blow to the New York Jets (http://www.billszone.com/teams/newyorkjets/profile?team=NYJ) captain's image.

Unlock HQ Video (http://www.nfl.com/widgets/videos/downloader?template=basic-html&confirm=true&icampaign=VG_Player_Link_HQ_DL)HQ video delivered by Akamai

Holmes wasn't on the field Sunday for the final two minutes of the Jets' 19-17 loss to the Miami Dolphins (http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2012010100/2011/REG17/jets@dolphins) -- a loss that ended New York's playoff hopes -- and running back LaDainian Tomlinson (http://www.billszone.com/players/ladainiantomlinson/profile?id=TOM683150) said afterward that the receiver was benched for behavior issues.
"There were guys in the huddle not happy with Santonio's demeanor throughout the game and in the two-minute drill," Tomlinson said, according to ESPNNewYork.com (http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/7411183/new-york-jets-santonio-holmes-benched-argument-huddle). "And they said something to him about it."
A curt Holmes addressed the media after the game and said "it was a coach's call" to sit him while the Jets tried to rally late in the fourth quarter.
"Patrick (Turner) came in and tapped me on the shoulder and told me to come out," Holmes said.
Turner caught a 10-yard touchdown pass to make it 19-17, but the Dolphins then ran out the clock, ending the Jets' season. Holmes was targeted only once Sunday and didn't have a catch for the first time in his 88 NFL games.
"It's tough for guys to follow a captain that kind of behaves in that manner," Tomlinson said, according to The Associated Press. "You've got to lead by example, and you've got to play your tail off until the last play."
Jets coach Rex Ryan told reporters that he didn't bench Holmes.
"I looked out there, and I was wondering why he wasn't out there myself," Ryan said. "I didn't bench Santonio. You'll have to ask him."
A source with knowledge of the decision-making process told The Star Ledger (http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2012/01/receiver_santonio_holmes_bench.html) that the decision to bench Holmes was made by offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer because he had run out of options with a player whom one Jet called a quitter.
<table width="265" align="right"> <tbody><tr> <td>

</td> </tr> </tbody></table> "He quit," the player said. "It's happened for the past two to three weeks. It's happened all season."
Multiple players told the newspaper that Holmes was "moping" throughout the game, and the problems came to a head when the receiver and a teammate began arguing in a huddle during the fourth quarter.
"The worst thing that can happen, the worst thing, is when your teammates start to question your passion for the game," Tomlinson said, according to The Star Ledger. "That's the worst thing. And I think in that huddle, that's what you saw. When guys looked in his eyes, and he didn't have that fire in his eyes, guys were turned off about that."
Holmes was asked at the end of his news conference if he wanted to play for the Jets next season -- Holmes signed a five-year, $50 million deal last offseason with $24 million guaranteed -- but he declined to answer the question.

BillsFever21
01-02-2012, 12:43 AM
Holmes has a rotten personality and I'm not surprised by it one bit. That's why Pittsburgh got rid of him even after playing good football for them and making the great catch to win them the Super Bowl. He has serious character issues.

When he was a rookie I went to a Steelers training camp with a friend of mine who worked for a radio station. We had VIP/Media passes to go onto the sideline and watch instead of the stands.

After practice was over they sent Holmes and Woodley down to sign autographs for the people with VIP/Media passes. Woodley was more then a stand up guy during the autograph session but all everyone talked about was how rude Holmes was.

When everyone went up to get their autograph he wouldn't even smile or give any type of a response for the most part when he was asked how he was doing. He clearly didn't want to be there and had a disrespectful attitude. It didn't surprise me when he started getting in trouble and the Steelers got fed up with his attitude and off-field issues.

mush69
01-02-2012, 04:42 AM
Just another example of the undeserving few who have a talent that we pay to watch. Holmes and Stevie can both get the ******* out!

EricStratton
01-02-2012, 06:13 AM
Along with Holmes quitting on the team and arguing in the huddle it was telling how Rex threw his coordinator under the bus and admitted he has nothing to do with how the offense is run in NY.

BleedinGreenNC
01-02-2012, 09:46 AM
Along with Holmes quitting on the team and arguing in the huddle it was telling how Rex threw his coordinator under the bus and admitted he has nothing to do with how the offense is run in NY.

Shotty is gone, thank god! He threw him under the bus because he has let him slide for the entire season.

EricStratton
01-02-2012, 09:52 AM
Shotty is gone, thank god! He threw him under the bus because he has let him slide for the entire season.

But isn't it Rex's job to keep Santonio under control?

better days
01-02-2012, 09:57 AM

Some players are NOT team players & can not be controlled by anyone. That is the reason the Steelers let him go for next to nothing.

The Steelers are all about TEAM players.

Cleve
01-02-2012, 11:09 AM
The Steelers are all about TEAM players.

That's really true. Put aside the date-rape idiocy from 2 years back which drew a lot of unwanted attention to the QB - but since then even Big Ben has done his best to be low key and under the radar. He just puts in one tough, gritty solid performance after another. And guess what - they're in yet another post-season. Gotta give em props for consistency - they haven't had a losing season since Roethilsberger joined the team.

They haven't had a losing record in the last 8 seasons, and been in the playoffs 6 out of 8 seasons. That's a damn solid organization.

BleedinGreenNC
01-02-2012, 11:10 AM

It is, but he is a grown man, he should know how to control himself

Extremebillsfan247
01-02-2012, 11:34 AM
I don't want this team going out to get a player with a reputation for quitting on his team. The Bills need better players than that. JMO

Cleve
01-02-2012, 11:41 AM
I don't want this team going out to get a player with a reputation for quitting on his team. The Bills need better players than that. JMO

Yeah, the last thing this team needs is locker room poison on top of all the other woes.

paladin warrior
01-02-2012, 12:34 PM
Shotty is gone, thank god! He threw him under the bus because he has let him slide for the entire season. Hey BleedinGreenNC
where is HendersonD06 and Maybins Revenge ?? Pls tell them come over in the billszone. fan.. I would like make him a chat biggger double loser and make them angry and mad from at our bills fan talking trash at them. Why Hendersondo6 and maybins revenge did not showed up while jets were lost game on that day . I bet Both are crying and calling mommy.. Tell them COME ON U coward

BleedinGreenNC
01-02-2012, 08:17 PM
Hey BleedinGreenNC
where is HendersonD06 and Maybins Revenge ?? Pls tell them come over in the billszone. fan.. I would like make him a chat biggger double loser and make them angry and mad from at our bills fan talking trash at them. Why Hendersondo6 and maybins revenge did not showed up while jets were lost game on that day . I bet Both are crying and calling mommy.. Tell them COME ON U coward

I really havent ran across them on any other boards, unless they go by a different name, i have the same name on all of the forums i am on. Like i said before, i am here win or lose, although i am not in the best of moods considering the complete meltdown my team is having, i will be cordial.

better days
01-02-2012, 10:22 PM
I really havent ran across them on any other boards, unless they go by a different name, i have the same name on all of the forums i am on. Like i said before, i am here win or lose, although i am not in the best of moods considering the complete meltdown my team is having, i will be cordial.

Well, you also have the BEST avatar of any opposing teams fans, it RIVALS Hurkeys.