PDA

View Full Version : Draft/FA Focus Should Still Be The D

Night Train
01-02-2012, 07:21 AM
Our D should have a new DC (probably the key move of the upcoming off-season) and a fair turnover of starters, if they ever wish to stay in games. Primarily in the Front 7.

If it's a question of which unit to fix first, it's without question the D. Can't keep giving up 450-550 yards every week and expect the O to rally from behind in the 2nd half of games. By then, it's Fitz throwing the ball with the running game completely abandoned and we all saw how well that worked from November on.

I realize the SJ thing is dominating the thinking of many, including Ralph...but when building a team, you solidify the D first to keep you in games,then move on to the offense.

I'd love to see a new QB ( Yet I think the draft class is weak after Luck,RG III ) but Ralph would rather justify the panic move to extend Fitz by ordering a WR drafted high. That's my fear.

Then the D will continue to suffer and the team will never be able to hold what few leads they'll have in games with the D getting torched.

DynaPaul
01-02-2012, 07:26 AM
Absolutely. I'd be happy if they spent every single pick on D and O lineman. We can't afford any more luxury AKA "best player on the board" picks. We need to solidify the lines for good and get a couple of LBs.

Johnny Bugmenot
01-02-2012, 07:55 AM
Yes, because that worked SO well last year... oh, wait, the new draftees ended up making the team WORSE!

DesertFox24
01-02-2012, 07:59 AM
Yes, because that worked SO well last year... oh, wait, the new draftees ended up making the team WORSE!

LOL

I am going to go on a limb and say that Dareus Williams Sheppard and Rodgers turn out to be pretty darn good and get a lot better after this offseason.

Every expert out there says it takes 3 off seasons to covert from a 43 to a 34. It is pretty obvious that we need more linebackers for this defense.

Hopefully buddy Nix drafts linebackers and OL.

YardRat
01-02-2012, 08:00 AM
I don't think Ralph is going to tell anybody who to draft.

I agree with the premise of the op, though...regardless of what happens with Stevie the defense is still the most glaring weakness on the team, along with OT.

Build a better defense, and an o-line, and fill in the skill positions when you can.

DesertFox24
01-02-2012, 08:01 AM
I don't think Ralph is going to tell anybody who to draft.

I agree with the premise of the op, though...regardless of what happens with Stevie the defense is still the most glaring weakness on the team, along with OT.

Build a better defense, and an o-line, and fill in the skill positions when you can.

I want a top 5 defense that is what will win us games.

Look at sanchez he makes Fitz look like Aaron Rodgers, but he has a great defense and that makes them a much better team.

Jan Reimers
01-02-2012, 10:04 AM
I also think we should go primarily D in the draft. I think a pass rushing DE and a pass rushing OLB are essential, and I'd like to see a CB and perhaps a second OLB.

In addition, though, I'd like to add a WR to complement (or possibly replace - although I hope not) Stevie, and an O-lineman, at least for depth.

ThunderGun
01-02-2012, 10:13 AM
Good post.

I do think we need another WR, and some OLinemen, but the Defense should be our main focus (unless we have a shot at an elite qb prospect....which we wont).

We have so many holes to fill....it shouldn't be too difficult to get some players in the draft who will improve our team. Let's just hope we don't draft another rb....

Ickybaluky
01-02-2012, 10:24 AM
I think they need to upgrade at WR pretty badly as well. If you are going to run the spread offense, you needs WR who run good routes and have good hands. Early in the season, when he had WR he built some chemistry with, Fitzpatrick played pretty well. Now he is playing with guys who aren't precise in their routes and aren't as dependable.

cookie G
01-02-2012, 10:40 AM
Every expert out there says it takes 3 off seasons to covert from a 43 to a 34. It is pretty obvious that we need more linebackers for this defense.

Wade Phillips did it in 1, and without his best player for most of the year.

This D goes no where unless you bring in a real defensive mind.

That's not Edwards, and that's not Buddy.

NOT THE DUDE...
01-02-2012, 01:09 PM
getting pass rushers and a real defensive mind is what we need.

Philagape
01-02-2012, 01:43 PM
Pass-rushing OLB is overwhelmingly the No. 1 need.

If one insists a draft pick HAS to be a certain position. Which I don't.

Philagape
01-02-2012, 01:46 PM

This whole "we tried that before and failed" argument is moot for any topic here because they've tried everything and failed.
BPA, reaching for need, offense, defense, skill players, linemen, you name it ... none of it has worked. It all comes down to simply getting the right players. You do that, and any strategy will work.

X-Era
01-02-2012, 01:58 PM
Bart Scott may get cut by the Jets. He's a guy I'd like to add to the mix. I like his nasty attitude. He's old but can still play.

MikeInRoch
01-02-2012, 03:03 PM

Worse? By what measure exactly?

MikeInRoch
01-02-2012, 03:07 PM
Offensive yards ranking: 14
Defensive yards given up ranking: 26

Offensive points ranking: 14
Defensive points given up ranking: 30

I think that sums up the "which side of the ball needs attention" argument pretty well.

Ickybaluky
01-02-2012, 03:49 PM
Bart Scott may get cut by the Jets. He's a guy I'd like to add to the mix. I like his nasty attitude. He's old but can still play.

Scott has $4M in guaranteed salary next year, from re-doing his contract last year. He has already said he isn't taking a paycut, and he gets that money whether he gets cut or not. I doubt they release him.

Scott's role was reduced this year for the Jets. He only played in their base sets, coming off the field when they went to nickel or dime packages. He wasn't happy about that, but that is the player he is right now.

SABURZFAN
01-02-2012, 03:57 PM
i'd like to see them draft somebody who can contribute to the team right away.

Night Train
01-02-2012, 06:37 PM
OLB with a rush is indeed a good idea, or a DE. Outside of Dareus and a healthy Kyle Williams, we have no other keepers on the DL They struggle to get off blocks. Front 7 improvement is key.

better days
01-02-2012, 06:41 PM

NO, they did NOT! Dareus for one will be a FORCE for YEARS to come as a Bill.

The Jokeman
01-02-2012, 07:16 PM
I also think we should go primarily D in the draft. I think a pass rushing DE and a pass rushing OLB are essential, and I'd like to see a CB and perhaps a second OLB.

In addition, though, I'd like to add a WR to complement (or possibly replace - although I hope not) Stevie, and an O-lineman, at least for depth.
I think a veteran C is a smart move given Eric Wood's inability to remain healthy. I'm also not sold on Hairston as a starting LT and think we might let Bell walk so while it's not a screaming need I could see going LT with pick #10 if there's no standouts at pass rush/WR are available.