• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Night Train
    Retired - On Several Levels
    • Jul 2005

Draft/FA Focus Should Still Be The D

Our D should have a new DC (probably the key move of the upcoming off-season) and a fair turnover of starters, if they ever wish to stay in games. Primarily in the Front 7.

If it's a question of which unit to fix first, it's without question the D. Can't keep giving up 450-550 yards every week and expect the O to rally from behind in the 2nd half of games. By then, it's Fitz throwing the ball with the running game completely abandoned and we all saw how well that worked from November on.

I realize the SJ thing is dominating the thinking of many, including Ralph...but when building a team, you solidify the D first to keep you in games,then move on to the offense.

I'd love to see a new QB ( Yet I think the draft class is weak after Luck,RG III ) but Ralph would rather justify the panic move to extend Fitz by ordering a WR drafted high. That's my fear.

Then the D will continue to suffer and the team will never be able to hold what few leads they'll have in games with the D getting torched.
    Last edited by Night Train; 01-02-2012, 07:22 AM.
    Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit
  • DynaPaul
    • Sep 2003

Re: Draft/FA Focus Should Still Be The D

Absolutely. I'd be happy if they spent every single pick on D and O lineman. We can't afford any more luxury AKA "best player on the board" picks. We need to solidify the lines for good and get a couple of LBs.

Comment

• Johnny Bugmenot
      Will not tolerate vandalism.
      • Apr 2006

Yes, because that worked SO well last year... oh, wait, the new draftees ended up making the team WORSE!

Comment

• DesertFox24
        • Jul 2005

Originally posted by Johnny Bugmenot
        Yes, because that worked SO well last year... oh, wait, the new draftees ended up making the team WORSE!
        LOL

I am going to go on a limb and say that Dareus Williams Sheppard and Rodgers turn out to be pretty darn good and get a lot better after this offseason.

Every expert out there says it takes 3 off seasons to covert from a 43 to a 34. It is pretty obvious that we need more linebackers for this defense.

Hopefully buddy Nix drafts linebackers and OL.

Comment

• YardRat
          Well, lookie here...
          • Dec 2004

I don't think Ralph is going to tell anybody who to draft.

I agree with the premise of the op, though...regardless of what happens with Stevie the defense is still the most glaring weakness on the team, along with OT.

Build a better defense, and an o-line, and fill in the skill positions when you can.
          YardRat Wall of Fame
          #56 DARRYL TALLEY
          #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• DesertFox24
            • Jul 2005

Originally posted by YardRat
            I don't think Ralph is going to tell anybody who to draft.

I agree with the premise of the op, though...regardless of what happens with Stevie the defense is still the most glaring weakness on the team, along with OT.

Build a better defense, and an o-line, and fill in the skill positions when you can.
            I want a top 5 defense that is what will win us games.

Look at sanchez he makes Fitz look like Aaron Rodgers, but he has a great defense and that makes them a much better team.

Comment

• Jan Reimers
              Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
              • May 2003

I also think we should go primarily D in the draft. I think a pass rushing DE and a pass rushing OLB are essential, and I'd like to see a CB and perhaps a second OLB.

In addition, though, I'd like to add a WR to complement (or possibly replace - although I hope not) Stevie, and an O-lineman, at least for depth.
              Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• ThunderGun
                • Dec 2011

Good post.

I do think we need another WR, and some OLinemen, but the Defense should be our main focus (unless we have a shot at an elite qb prospect....which we wont).

We have so many holes to fill....it shouldn't be too difficult to get some players in the draft who will improve our team. Let's just hope we don't draft another rb....

Comment

• Ickybaluky
                  • Jul 2003

I think they need to upgrade at WR pretty badly as well. If you are going to run the spread offense, you needs WR who run good routes and have good hands. Early in the season, when he had WR he built some chemistry with, Fitzpatrick played pretty well. Now he is playing with guys who aren't precise in their routes and aren't as dependable.

Comment

• cookie G
                    • Mar 2003

Originally posted by DesertFox24

Every expert out there says it takes 3 off seasons to covert from a 43 to a 34. It is pretty obvious that we need more linebackers for this defense.
                    Wade Phillips did it in 1, and without his best player for most of the year.

This D goes no where unless you bring in a real defensive mind.

That's not Edwards, and that's not Buddy.

Comment

• NOT THE DUDE...
                      Hall of Fame Zoner
                      • Jan 2010

getting pass rushers and a real defensive mind is what we need.

Comment

• Philagape
                        WIN NOW
                        • Jul 2002

Pass-rushing OLB is overwhelmingly the No. 1 need.

If one insists a draft pick HAS to be a certain position. Which I don't.
                        "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
                        2004 BZ Big Money League Champion

Comment

• Philagape
                          WIN NOW
                          • Jul 2002

This whole "we tried that before and failed" argument is moot for any topic here because they've tried everything and failed.
                          BPA, reaching for need, offense, defense, skill players, linemen, you name it ... none of it has worked. It all comes down to simply getting the right players. You do that, and any strategy will work.
                          "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
                          2004 BZ Big Money League Champion

Comment

• X-Era
                            What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
                            • Feb 2005

Bart Scott may get cut by the Jets. He's a guy I'd like to add to the mix. I like his nasty attitude. He's old but can still play.

Comment

• MikeInRoch
                              • Sep 2003

Worse? By what measure exactly?
                              "'Clean up your room.', 'Stand up straight.', 'Pick up your feet.', 'Take it like a man.', 'Be nice to your sister.', 'Don't mix beer and wine, ever.'. Oh yeah, 'Don't drive on the railroad track.'"

"Eh, Phil. That's one I happen to agree with."

Comment

Working...
                              X