PDA

View Full Version : Can Merriman play 4-3 DE?

BidsJr
01-02-2012, 03:11 PM
Obviously this doesn't matter if his leg falls off, but hypothetically?

Jan Reimers
01-02-2012, 03:15 PM
I don't know, but if healthy, why can't he play OLB?

BidsJr
01-02-2012, 03:17 PM
I don't know, but if healthy, why can't he play OLB?

Because in the 4-3 he would mostly be a cover LB, and I don't think he has that skillset. But maybe I am wrong. I dunno.

EDS
01-02-2012, 03:18 PM
He presumably could play a John Abraham type role. Obviously Merriman shouldn't b counted on and he should only be viewed as a situational pass rusher. I county's will stay healthy even if he played waterboy.

YardRat
01-02-2012, 03:18 PM
No...he's a LBer, let's not continue to play guys out of position.

These moves should mean the return of Carrington and Johnson to DE full-time where they belong, and please don't consider playing Batten or Moats at DE unless one of them gains a full second on a 10-yard burst and becomes a speed/situational pass rusher..

streetkings01
01-02-2012, 03:19 PM
I said it before and i'll say it again.......Merriman needs to play the same role for us that Maybin played for the Jets this season. Carrington and Kelsay need to be in on run downs while Merriman comes in on obvious passing situations.

streetkings01
01-02-2012, 03:21 PM
Why wouldn't Merriman be able to play DE in a 4-3? In the Chiefs game he had his hand on the ground for a few plays before he got hurt. He's 6'4 265lbs..........I think he should be able to play with his hand on the ground as a situation pass rusher only tho.

djjimkelly
01-02-2012, 03:22 PM
Obviously this doesn't matter if his leg falls off, but hypothetically?

NO and why would u want that

we are a ****ing 3-4 team

Novacane
01-02-2012, 03:24 PM
It won't matter what he can play after week 3.

better days
01-02-2012, 03:25 PM

I think it is very likely Wanny switches the Bills back to more of a 4-3 team, but maybe he will still go 3-4 at times.

BidsJr
01-02-2012, 03:26 PM

Because we just hired a 4-3 DC maybe?

djjimkelly
01-02-2012, 03:36 PM
I think it is very likely Wanny switches the Bills back to more of a 4-3 team, but maybe he will still go 3-4 at times.

everyone seems to forget the bills traditionally are a 3-4 team we lost our way for almost ten years.

trust me its here to stay

in fact i could make an argument that 5 of the 7 front 7 positions are a lock for 2012

a healthy merrimen would make it 6 however im not banking on it

but edwards dareus williams thats a very solid 3-4 D line

and i like our 2 inside backers were just missing the outside guys

we in fact have more 3-4 pieces 2 years in then 4-3 pieces

djjimkelly
01-02-2012, 03:37 PM
Because we just hired a 4-3 DC maybe?

as the LB coach and im sure if it is wanny im sure his 35 years of coaching hes familiar with a 3-4 scheme

our personal is 3-4 at this point

djjimkelly
01-02-2012, 03:39 PM
and god ****ing help us if we go back to 4-3

we have more 3-4 personal at this point of starting caliber

but what do i know

kishoph
01-02-2012, 03:58 PM

but what do i know

With the LB's we currently have (excluding Merriman), I wouldn't say we have 3-4 personnel (maybe on paper we do). Chan said today that it's something they'll look over. I think Wanny's going to want to go with the 4-3, but who knows what weight that will carry. I'm sure we'll see some kind of hybrid, but I'm gonna guess that the base will be a 4-3. The draft will play a part in this also.

Ickybaluky
01-02-2012, 04:01 PM
Based on his history, Merriman is a poor bet no matter what role he plays. He can't stay healthy. It has been on thing after another since 2007. Even if he somehow manages to stay on the field, he will never be the same guy again. He was terrific before his injuries hit, but that was 5 years ago.

The only reason Merriman is coming back next year is because he has $3M in guaranteed salary coming next year. The only way he makes much more than that is if he reaches incentives, so they are going to give him another shot. If it weren't for the guaranteed money, he would probably be gone.

The Bills can't rely on Merriman, because he hasn't been reliable. The lights went out 5 years ago on his career. He is done as a player who can have any real impact on a game.

Raptor
01-02-2012, 06:09 PM
Without a doubt he can play it. Its the position he played in college. He's a DE in a 4-3

Crisis
01-02-2012, 06:27 PM
No, but then again I never thought I'd see Spencer Johnson playing 3-4 OLB

Mahdi
01-02-2012, 06:32 PM

These moves should mean the return of Carrington and Johnson to DE full-time where they belong, and please don't consider playing Batten or Moats at DE unless one of them gains a full second on a 10-yard burst and becomes a speed/situational pass rusher..
Johnson at DE? Why do that to ourselves?

Raptor
01-02-2012, 07:09 PM

If you keep him at LB in a 4-3 you would be playing him out of position

TigerJ
01-02-2012, 07:35 PM
If he's rushing the passer, I'm not sure that it makes that big a difference whether he puts his hand down or not. If you put him in a 4-3, I assume you're going to have a clear cut middle linebacker and then smaller faster cover (outside) linebackers on on either side of your middle linebacker in addition to Merriman.

NOT THE DUDE...
01-02-2012, 07:42 PM
yes he can play 43 de. for me though, he cant be counted on, nix needs to draft two rde's or at least 1 that will start next year. whether its coples or upshaw, idk. i think kelsay and carrington have lde locked down. our dts are fine, and all we have as a legit pass rusher from the blind side is merriman. its a huge hole. i personally would draft coples or upshaw, whoever i thought was better.

superbills
01-02-2012, 08:20 PM
The title should have stopped at "Can Merriman Play?" I wouldn't count on this guy to make it out of training camp in one piece, let alone filling a starting roster spot on opening day.

YardRat
01-02-2012, 08:36 PM
Johnson at DE? Why do that to ourselves?

Although I've criticized Edwards for attempting to fit Johnson/Carrington at OLB this past season, it may actually prove beneficial in the long run implementing some zone blitzing schemes, especially if they see any time in a 43 at DE.

RedEyE
01-03-2012, 07:06 AM
Doesn't matter. You bring him to camp and let him compete. Even if he doesn't make the team his presence alone should raise the level of competition.

ddaryl
01-03-2012, 03:04 PM
At this point in his career he may be better suited for a 4-3 DE position.

He holds containment well, he has lost a step but isn't a complete sloth either. He isn't great in coverage and probably will never have the speed necessary to excel at OLB going forward whether a 3-4 OLB or a 4-3 LB.

Bert102176
01-04-2012, 04:18 PM
screw Merrimen cut his ass loose he is wortheless did great in a preseason game then disapeared then he got hurt as he always gets hurt.

NOT THE DUDE...
01-04-2012, 07:52 PM
screw Merrimen cut his ass loose he is wortheless did great in a preseason game then disapeared then he got hurt as he always gets hurt.

it doesnt hurt to give him another chance. but i agree, we shouldnt count on him, we need to draft a replacement! coples or upshaw

better days
01-04-2012, 07:54 PM
Doesn't matter. You bring him to camp and let him compete. Even if he doesn't make the team his presence alone should raise the level of competition.

And he may recruit another player or two to come to Buffalo as well.

BillsFever21
01-04-2012, 10:39 PM
Merriman is finished. Even if there there was an act of god and the stars were aligned the right way and he stayed healthy for an entire season he still wouldn't be anywhere close to the impact player he was years ago.

He hasn't done anything in four years. Some of you need to get over the past. He doesn't offer much of anything anymore and you definitely can't count on him as your starter.

He had a hell of a run for several years until he got busted for juicing and then the injuries took their toll after that. After 1.5 years in Buffalo you have yet to see the "Lights Out" dance of his. That should tell you all that you need to know. He made out on millions from our incompetent front office though.

BertSquirtgum
01-04-2012, 11:09 PM

not anymore.

Bill Cody
01-05-2012, 09:55 AM
Lights out on Merriman

k-oneputt
01-05-2012, 10:21 AM
If 4-3, then Coples is the guy. Of course he will probably get picked right in front of us.
Merriman's role will be situational pass rusher for as long as he can stay healthy.

DraftBoy
01-05-2012, 10:55 AM
Merriman cant play 43 DE because he can't get off blocks he doesnt use his hands well enough and relies on speed and athletic ability. Just isn't a good fit.

JCBills
01-05-2012, 12:44 PM

but what do i know

We have no starting caliber 3-4 OLBs, the hardest piece to find. We barely even have what could be considered a good backup there.

Really, it would just be a minor adjustment.

OpIv37
01-05-2012, 01:02 PM

but what do i know

Not really.

The morons in the FO never completed the transition. While George Edwards was definitely a bad coordinator, there was a reason why he played a hybrid 3-4/4-3 all season: he did not have the personnel to run either one properly.

We're about 2-3 guys away from a true 3-4 if we want to do it right, but we have so many lingering 4-3 guys on our roster that we're only 3 or 4 guys away from being right back to a 4-3.

It's really a difference of 1-2 players.