PDA

View Full Version : A Bills story everyone is overlooking

PromoTheRobot
01-02-2012, 03:48 PM
97 Rock no longer Bills flagship station. (http://www.radio-info.com/news/cumulus-ends-its-play-by-play-deal-with-the-nfl-buffalo-bills)

So 97 Rock/Cumulus Broadcasting walks away from the Bills radio rights. There are only 3 major radio companies in Buffalo: Cumulus, Entercom (which owns WGR), and Townsquare. Townsquare is not a major sports rights player so that leaves Entercom and WHAM/Clear Channel in Rochester, once a Bills flagship station years ago.

But I predict Rogers in Toronto, who owns several AM and FM stations in Toronto including The Fan 590, could wind up being the Bills rights holder. Considering Rogers history with the Bills it's a no-brainer if they want to keep developing their ties to the team. Plus I could see Rogers easily outspending Entercom and Clear Channel.

If Rogers did become the Bills rights holder it would solidify Toronto as part of the Bills market, making it far less likely the Bills would leave for Los Angeles or wherever. Just my take.

PTR

Skooby
01-02-2012, 03:56 PM
Very valid write up, expanding our market sounds great & help us to get to a better place.

Michael82
01-02-2012, 04:10 PM
No chance that Rogers becomes the flagship station. That would really piss off local affiliates. I bet that Entercom works out a deal to become the new flagship station and they put the games on their FM station and WGR finally goes back to being nice to them again, just like they are with the Sabres.

trapezeus
01-02-2012, 04:13 PM
so perhaps bills games won't be broadcast? after 49 unanswered points, is this a bad thing?

PromoTheRobot
01-02-2012, 04:19 PM
No chance that Rogers becomes the flagship station. That would really piss off local affiliates. I bet that Entercom works out a deal to become the new flagship station and they put the games on their FM station and WGR finally goes back to being nice to them again, just like they are with the Sabres.
That's a reason?? A few years back WHAM in Rochester became the Bills flagship station and they had an affiliate in Buffalo. It's not that big a deal.

PTR

Extremebillsfan247
01-02-2012, 04:27 PM
97 Rock no longer Bills flagship station. (http://www.radio-info.com/news/cumulus-ends-its-play-by-play-deal-with-the-nfl-buffalo-bills)

So 97 Rock/Citadel Broadcasting walks away from the Bills radio rights. There are only 3 major radio companies in Buffalo: Cumulus, Entercom (which owns WGR), and Townsquare. Townsquare is not a major sports rights player so that leaves Entercom and WHAM/Clear Channel in Rochester, once a Bills flagship station years ago.

But I predict Rogers in Toronto, who owns several AM and FM stations in Toronto including The Fan 590, could wind up being the Bills rights holder. Considering Rogers history with the Bills it's a no-brainer if they want to keep developing their ties to the team. Plus I could see Rogers easily outspending Entercom and Clear Channel.

If Rogers did become the Bills rights holder it would solidify Toronto as part of the Bills market, making it far less likely the Bills would leave for Los Angeles or wherever. Just my take.

PTRGood write up, and great point. With the new deal for more games in Toronto coming, a Bills flagship station in Toronto would make sense for Rogers Communications for promotion purposes. It could mean more revenue for the Bills in the long term, as Toronto has a bigger media market. JMO

ServoBillieves
01-02-2012, 04:30 PM
This past season I listened to WHAM for my Bills coverage... Let's hope they can keep up or **** the Bills the second they move.

TigerJ
01-02-2012, 04:34 PM
Entercom, with WGR will certainly be interested in broadcast rights. The only question is, I have no idea how deep their pockets are. I don't get any stations that far away. We are on the fringe of being able to hear WHAM. I wonder how having a Canadian flagship station would affect the network in and around New York State. The station that carries the Bills station locally for us has boardcast antennae I can see outside my kitchen window. I hope they can keep carrying it.

PromoTheRobot
01-02-2012, 04:58 PM
Entercom, with WGR will certainly be interested in broadcast rights. The only question is, I have no idea how deep their pockets are. I don't get any stations that far away. We are on the fringe of being able to hear WHAM. I wonder how having a Canadian flagship station would affect the network in and around New York State. The station that carries the Bills station locally for us has boardcast antennae I can see outside my kitchen window. I hope they can keep carrying it.
If Rogers gets the rights it doesn't mean the Bills won't be on a Buffalo radio station. They would be an affiliate like all the other stations on the network. Like I posted earlier, its happened before when a Rochester station was the flagship (WHAM).

PTR

YardRat
01-02-2012, 05:06 PM

**** GR...they always have sucked at sports, and always will.

TigerJ
01-02-2012, 07:39 PM
If Rogers gets the rights it doesn't mean the Bills won't be on a Buffalo radio station. They would be an affiliate like all the other stations on the network. Like I posted earlier, its happened before when a Rochester station was the flagship (WHAM).

PTRI expect that's probably true. I just wondered if there are any potential wrenches in setting up a network of stations on both sides of the border.

The Jokeman
01-02-2012, 07:42 PM
Even though they're more music oriented I wonder if WECK would consider taking a chance since they still cover the Yankees and UB football.

PromoTheRobot
01-02-2012, 08:23 PM
I expect that's probably true. I just wondered if there are any potential wrenches in setting up a network of stations on both sides of the border.
Naw. 590 in Toronto is on the Bills network now. As for WECK getting the Bills, there is absolutely no chance of that happening. No signal, no money.

PTR

DrGraves
01-02-2012, 09:04 PM
hopefully wgr gets it that way i can just leave that station on all day

Fitzpatrick'sbeard
01-02-2012, 09:13 PM
one station that could be home to the Bills

WWKB 1520AM or known as to all old people that live in Buffalo the legendary WKBW1520 or KB 50,000KW TOWER OF POWER!

http://www.forgottenbuffalo.com/wkbwradio/kbgoeskaboomwkbw.html

they are also the radio home to the Bisons

PromoTheRobot
01-02-2012, 09:33 PM
one station that could be home to the Bills

WWKB 1520AM or known as to all old people that live in Buffalo the legendary WKBW1520 or KB 50,000KW TOWER OF POWER!

http://www.forgottenbuffalo.com/wkbwradio/kbgoeskaboomwkbw.html

they are also the radio home to the Bisons

WWKB, WGR and WBEN are all owned by Entercom. It's not like the old days when there was actual competition in broadcasting.

PTR

better days
01-02-2012, 10:13 PM
WWKB, WGR and WBEN are all owned by Entercom. It's not like the old days when there was actual competition in broadcasting.

PTR

Or ANY other industry for that matter. The laws that control Corporation mergers are now a JOKE in this Country, thanks to the Republicans.

Meathead
01-02-2012, 10:35 PM
"... an den dere fitzpatrick drops back ... ee looks aroun dere aye and ees aboot to pass ... ah but ee gets sacked aye an its tird down so dey have to poont ... oh aye my bad dere we gets four downs now aye so ee stays on da field dere."

PromoTheRobot
01-02-2012, 10:47 PM
Or ANY other industry for that matter. The laws that control Corporation mergers are now a JOKE in this Country, thanks to the Republicans.
Eh, Dems can be just as bad. A lot of this deregulation happened under Clinton as well as the Bushes. Both sides are basically the same. They just suck up to different constituencies.

PTR

BillyT92679
01-03-2012, 07:56 AM
I think Entercom takes over.

better days
01-03-2012, 08:00 AM
Eh, Dems can be just as bad. A lot of this deregulation happened under Clinton as well as the Bushes. Both sides are basically the same. They just suck up to different constituencies.

PTR

I agree there is not a whole lot of differences between the two parties today, but the Republicans are responsible for the changes in the laws in regards to mergers/monopolys.

Fitzpatrick'sbeard
01-03-2012, 05:39 PM
John Murphy WIVB Sports director says he won't be back as Buffalo Bills play-by-play announcer, Murphy also said that Mark Kelso won't be back as color analyst. Murphy recruited Kelso to be color analyst.

Murphy made the announcement on tonight's WIVB Sports on the 6 o'clock news

Michael82
01-04-2012, 12:23 AM
John Murphy WIVB Sports director says he won't be back as Buffalo Bills play-by-play announcer, Murphy also said that Mark Kelso won't be back as color analyst. Murphy recruited Kelso to be color analyst.

Murphy made the announcement on tonight's WIVB Sports on the 6 o'clock newsOh God! Please don't make Mike Schopp and the Bulldog or even Howard Simon as the Play-by-play guys.... :puke:

PromoTheRobot
01-06-2012, 07:56 AM
I certainly whiffed on my prediction. FYI didn't Russ Brandon confirm that Murphy and Kelso would remain the broadcast team?

PTR