PDA

View Full Version : Gash: I've come back to win a SuperBowl

Mr. Miyagi
06-30-2003, 11:33 PM
"Anything is possible in this game," said Gash, who played for the Bills in 1998 and '99, their last playoff seasons. "I'm just happy they wanted to bring me back. It's on me to let them know they made the right decision. I'm going to get out here and work just as hard as the next man and know everything I need to, in order to be the best I can be."

"I've come back here to win a Super Bowl," he said, his words hitting like one of his blocks. "I had a great time in Baltimore, but as far as playing football, this is the place I enjoy the most. The fans make you feel very welcome. They're great up here and truly excited about football."

http://cbs.sportsline.com/nfl/teams/report/BUF/6456941

I'm licking my chops for the season. :hungry:

The_Philster
07-01-2003, 04:42 AM
:clap: I love having Gash back.

G. Host
07-01-2003, 07:22 AM
Well I am sure Gash or his agent heard how many fans want him back so the situation should be like Spikes where the fans give them extra energy.

Earthquake Enyart
07-01-2003, 07:29 AM
I've always liked Gash.

justasportsfan
07-01-2003, 08:02 AM
I'm excited about our redzone offense. Looks like we'll be punching our blockers through the opposing DL for a TD.

I remember Zach saying Gash was the hardest blocking HB he's faced. I hope Gash has enough in him to actually make Seau want to retire after the first game we meet the fins.

WG
07-01-2003, 10:05 AM
Way too much emphasis on Gash. Crosby will start ahead of Gash on offense. Gash is 34, hasn't done much at all the last few years, and was primarily a STs player. I think he may contribute much on STs, but I think his days as a primary blocking FB are behind him.

Having said that, he may be exactly what we need on STs! A huge impact STs player.

justasportsfan
07-01-2003, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by Wys Guy
Way too much emphasis on Gash.

That's because it's a Gash thread, wys. Start a Crosby thread and I'll say some nice things about him too. :D

No one is saying he's the savior, but you just have to bring out the negatives out of every player we have don't ya?

:sukrpnch:

JefftheBillsfan
07-01-2003, 10:26 AM
Come red zone time, we'll see how old he is. Save him for the red zones and SPTs. I still believe, if used only out of nessesety, he can still be a force. Henry behind Gash. Gash Behing Williams.

ryven
07-01-2003, 10:30 AM
Gash will ruin many teams days.

justasportsfan
07-01-2003, 10:43 AM
I think GW or Gilbride will bring him out just soften up opposing teams' linebackers for Crosby and Henry.

I think Zach's health insurance just went up the day we signed Gash back.

WG
07-01-2003, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by justasportsfan

That's because it's a Gash thread, wys. Start a Crosby thread and I'll say some nice things about him too. :D

No one is saying he's the savior, but you just have to bring out the negatives out of every player we have don't ya?

LOL

Not at all. I just notice that many seem to think he'll be some sort of huge factor for us on offense. Not just this thread, but past ones. I don't think at 34 and after 3 seasons of virtual non-use on O, that he's gonna be much for us at all on O. Again, I think he may be just what we've been missing on STs. Or didn't ya get that far in my post?

The players that are gonna make the difference this season for our team on an individual basis are:

Spikes
Pat Williams
Winfield
Clements
Henry
Moulds
the OL

The rest will contribute as part of the team. I know, I know, where's Drew? He contributed all right last year, but it was more to the opposing Ds than to our own offense. For him to "contribute individually", he'll have to put up more positive in the form of TDs in meaningful games than negative in the way INTs and FUMs in those same meaningful games. That's why he's not an individual impact player.

Of course, if you measure him by his positive big plays only and ignore everything else, I can see why everyone thinks he's all that. ;)

As to Gash, again, if he makes an impact, it'll be on STs, which I can certainly see him making based on his STs play last year. But that's what he played last year, STs primarily. NOT FB. So for those folks looking for him to make an impact on O, they'll be disappointed IMO. I'll be looking for him to be a force on STs where we have a huge intensity and leadership issue!

What's so negative about that? I think he can do a LOT more for our STs than he could ever do for our O given the talent all around on O.

BillsOwnAll
07-01-2003, 11:09 AM
Gash is a GREAT blocker. with himm now i think TH will get 200 more yards off his blocks.

WG
07-01-2003, 11:11 AM

Actually, no! I see no negatives with many of the players on our team.

If Drew, Fletcher, Posey, Gash, Kelsay, Denney, Jones define "every player we have", then I'm guilty. I just look at the facts, truth, and reality.

For Drew, you and others see a QB who's perfect w/ tons of yards, attempts, and completions.

I see a QB who in 7 of our most meaningful 9 games put up only 9 TDs vice 18 personal TOs. You dismiss those TOs as not his fault, while I say they mattered more than the paltry 1 TD/game that he put up.

For Fletcher, you see a MLB who is among the best. I see a MLB backer who lacked E-W speed, got run over or "brushed aside" by the ball carrier too often for my own liking or the good of the team, and a highly overrated MLB.

For Posey, you see a LB who's all but a shoe-in to get more sacks this season than last. I see an OLB who still has to prove himself after posting only one even remotely solid season in 6 seasons played and on a completely different defense than he'll be playing on this year.

For Gash you see a FB who you think will contribute on O; I see a 34-year-old FB who's washed up as a FB and his contributions indicate as much in that department; nevertheless, I also see one who may help boost our STs back into prominence.

On Kelsay, you and others see a "bonafide first or second rounder"; I hear the same thing I heard about Denney being said about Kelsay. I read that Kelsay couldn't get around the best in college, yet, I'm supposed to assume he won't struggle v. pro OTs??

On Denney, you and others see what TD said he was last year. I see a bust! I see a former 2nd rounder who got the least playing time at a position for which we were sorely lacking anything more than below average starters. I also saw undrafted FAs getting more playing time than Denney! Why?

On Jones, I see a DE for which we were fed a lot of hype who is now being rumored to be considering retirement amidst no good news of his injury recovery! Apparently you and others see something different, eh.

;)

Those are the players that I am not "all rosy" about and for the reasons stated. I could join the Ostrich Club, stick my fingers in my ears, and run around saying that all of those players are "the franchise", but that wouldn't change anything now, would it!

:D

I have no problems w/ the rest of our team, and in fact may not have problems this season w/ Drew if he can not muff up the 8 of the 10 most important games on our schedule like he did last year.

I may have no problems w/ Fletcher if he doesn't consistently miss tackles and can move E-W like a decent MLB is supposed to be able to.

I may have no problems w/ Posey if he plays more like last year than all of his other 5 seasons combined.

Denney is a bust and I'll put that in writing. Kelsay will be nothing more than average on good days, and I'll put that in writing too. He'll have proven to be a wasted 2nd round pick when it all shakes out and I expect him to see about the same amount of playing time that Denney saw last year; no real starts and relief duty only as one of our weakest DEs on a team missing a starting DE. Jones will either retire or be cut due to health concerns IMO.

Gash I will say will help revamp the STs and make us proud there once again, but contribute hardly anything at all on O.

WG
07-01-2003, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by JefftheBillsfan
Come red zone time, we'll see how old he is. Save him for the red zones and SPTs. I still believe, if used only out of nessesety, he can still be a force. Henry behind Gash. Gash Behing Williams.

Look for Crosby to fill that role. Crosby is 8 years younger and the same size! Crosby's the man this year in the FB role.

BillsOwnAll
07-01-2003, 11:13 AM
well said wys well said.....

WG
07-01-2003, 11:15 AM
BTW, here are the players on our team that I consider to be amongst the best in the league overall at their positions:

RB: Henry
WR: Moulds
OL: Williams
OL: Jennings
TE: Moore
CB: Winfield
CB: Clements
LB: Spikes
DT: Williams

That's 9 players of 22 starters that I cannot possibly think more highly of!!!

BillsOwnAll
07-01-2003, 11:17 AM
clements is good but there are btter than him.

WG
07-01-2003, 11:23 AM
IMO Clements is better than Winfield. Winfield may play the run a bit better, but Clements is very clearly the better cover CB and his run defense skills are excellent. Actually, if Winfield didn't play the run so well and hit like a pissed off banshee, then he'd be average. His coverage skills are not good enough, IMO, to boost his status to anything beyond average.

I think we'll see Thomas emerge as the single best coverage CB on the team this year, but again, I'm not expecting him to even remotely approach the skills the AW or NC have against the run. Those are on the rare side indeed, particularly for a tandem.

There are better coverage CBs in the league than AW/NC. But few of them are the package corners that those two are. They can do it all. I'm very excited and interested to see how they do w/ a formidable front 7 ahead of them!!

G. Host
07-01-2003, 11:28 AM
BTW, here are the players on our team that I consider to be amongst the best in the league overall at their positions:

RB: Henry
WR: Moulds
OL: Williams
OL: Jennings
TE: Moore
CB: Winfield
CB: Clements
LB: Spikes
DT: Williams

That's 9 players of 22 starters that I cannot possibly think more highly of!!!

No Moorman? I thought he deserved to be in probowl last year.

Disagree on Jennings (think Price would do better job) & Henry (ball on the ground and not great game breaking speed).

Moore and Crosby did not have enough opprotunities last year but Drew's short range game to territary receivers is severely lacking. Ben Coates, the TE most mentioned about how well Drew throws to throw to, was a primary target from Drew when he was with Patriots.

WG
07-01-2003, 11:47 AM
Host,

Yeah, actually, I forgot Moorman. That's what I get for exhibiting selective memory for what portions of our team were good last year. LOL

Include Moorman.

Interesting points otherwise too.

Let's hope that Henry's fumbles were "rookie" mistakes. It's reasonable that they were. This year will tell. But if he had had a reasonable number of carries last year, he would have finished 2nd in the league behind Ricky Williams. And if Fiedler hadn't gone down, perhaps Williams would have had fewer yards as well since he wouldn't have been the Fin's sole source of offensive production and Henry may possibly have led the league. Who knows. He'll do just fine this year however.

As to his fumbles, the truth be told, they weren't an impact for us other than in the Denver game. In our 8 losses, only one of them cost us, the Denver Fumble. The only other two fumbles he had in losses were in the Jets game where he had one and in the G.B. game where he had 1 too. Neither fumble resulted in drastic changes in field position, or lost us, or gained the Jets or Pack points. Drew pitched 2 INTs in the Jets game both leading to 14 Jet points, and Drew had 4 TOs in the Pack game, 1 costing us 7, another leading the Pack to 7 in a 10-0 game.

So while Henry has to manage that, he will. Besides, at some point, we have to ask ourselves how many FUMs are acceptible given the offensive production otherwise. Henry finished 6th in the league in TDs produced and likely would have finished in 2nd if he had been used as he should have been.

I'm expecting a great season outta Henry this year:

1,800 rushing
500 receiving
18 rushing TDs

If he does that and gives us a dominating ground game, then it'll be easier to overlook 8 lost fumbles, especially if only 1 of them impacts the outcome of a game. RBs w/ those kinds of numbers don't come along but every couple of decades for a team!

WG
07-01-2003, 11:51 AM
It's actually interesting when you contrast that w/ Drew. If Drew's 19 TOs had been spread out such that they were over say 12-14 games, then they wouldn't have been so bad. But the reality of the situation is that 18 of the 19 occurred in 7 of our 8 losses and in the most important games of the season.

That, while many do it, is extremely difficult to overlook! But again, contrast that w/ Henry's fumbles, and it's clear that Henry's fumbles were only a fraction of the the consequence of Drew's INTs and Fumbles!

Yet, Henry takes the heat over Drew nonetheless! I'll stand up for Travis until I die on that one!

WG
07-01-2003, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by G. Host
Moore and Crosby did not have enough opprotunities last year but Drew's short range game to territary receivers is severely lacking. Ben Coates, the TE most mentioned about how well Drew throws to throw to, was a primary target from Drew when he was with Patriots.

BTW, Coates played over the middle often and even long down the field, but rarely short.

On Drew, those are some pretty significant shortcomings for a QB, and frankly, that's his problem. When the deep game is taken away due to a quick or unexpected pass rush, Drew isn't good enough to overcome that situation. That's exactly why I don't consider him very good. He's extremely one-dimensional.

He throws the 20-yard out w/ the best of them, and then the deep ball. But the problem w/ the deep ball is that they don't always hit the right guys, and they're riskier than a good, solid, fundamental passing game. After that, I'd place him below average in his other skills. That was the problem last year; when his deep game was taken away, he floundered. As well, if we didn't score on deep throws, then we couldn't punch it in to the EZ! It led to LOTS of yardage, attempts, and even completions, but didn't bode well inside the 20! There was no longer any deep game there!

So for those who favor highlight reels, 1 big positive play to 2 negative ones, and who don't like a team built on those things that win championships, such as a strong rushing and great D, which compliment each other way more than deep throws on big plays do and defense do, then Drew is their kind of QB.

But for those who favor winning games and winning v. those types of teams who aren't going to allow themselves to get beaten by the big play offense and teams who tighten it up in the red zone, which is most teams, then Drew is terminally problematic!

My fear, and a very viable one, is that in this offense we're supposedly implementing, Drew may struggle given the exact flaws in his play that you've outlined. He's below average in the short passing game which is where teams that have won the SB over the years have excelled offensively in their passing games.

So as I see it, it basically boils down to excitement v. winning. But for me excitement is winning, so thus the open and overbal disappointment.

BillsNYC
07-01-2003, 12:18 PM
i brought my gash jersey out of retirement for the NYCBBB draft party!!!

WG
07-01-2003, 12:36 PM
Did you ever find your Ted Washington thong?

justasportsfan
07-01-2003, 12:48 PM
There are two major comtributions I think Gash can still bring to this team

1. Major class experience and leadership both on the field and locker room.

2. More pass protection for Drew who has been known to be more dangerous when given time and blow the game away when rushed.

no. 2 scares me because although the team leads us to believe that we are going to a more running/smashmouth football with the aquisition of above average blockers, it could very well be a diversion/decption to throwing the ball just as much since Gilbride sustem is not known to be a running system.

If the blocking worksfor our pass protection, I'm all for it but I'd rather we play the way we did the fins at buffalo. Run first to open up the passing game.

MDFINFAN
07-01-2003, 04:06 PM
I'm excited about our redzone offense. Looks like we'll be punching our blockers through the opposing DL for a TD.

I remember Zach saying Gash was the hardest blocking HB he's faced. I hope Gash has enough in him to actually make Seau want to retire after the first game we meet the fins.

Stop the wishful thinking Justa, Balt. came to Miami last year and was sent home spanked, Gash had his tail between his legs also..all our LB's survived. It didn't take much, Gash has seen better days. Chesters healthy this year and can actually push off, something he couldn't do too much of last year..the only hole you guys will be punching through, will be gash through his Guards real end, and the buck stops there. Period.

ublinkwescore
07-01-2003, 04:21 PM
Don't feed the trolls.

The_Philster
07-01-2003, 05:25 PM
Did you ever find your Ted Washington thong?

:eek: I don't even wanna think of that. :scared:

venis2k1
07-02-2003, 01:05 AM
Denney is a bust and I'll put that in writing. Kelsay will be nothing more than average on good days, and I'll put that in writing too. He'll have proven to be a wasted 2nd round pick when it all shakes out and I expect him to see about the same amount of playing time that Denney saw last year; no real starts and relief duty only as one of our weakest DEs on a team missing a starting DE. Jones will either retire or be cut due to health concerns IMO.

so denny is gonna bust and not play, Kelsay wont start a game this year(denny didnt last year) and Jones wont make the team.......SOMEONE has to play DE!!! Ive heared good things about Denny this offseason(although ill belive it when i see it.) Cant say much about Kelsay, havent seen him play much in college, and jones has ALOT to prove. But im praying that at least one of them can contribute.

Tatonka
07-02-2003, 07:43 AM
wys, you make me laugh..

denny cant improve.. and kelsay is doomed before he starts because of a draft report you read.. probably the same ones that said terrell davis was worthy of nothing more than a 6th round pick. jones is done (i wasnt aware that you had your medical degree and had a chance to check his knee out.)

all of those are total assumptions..

just like:
mike williams is so good - even though he was probably the 4th or 5th best on our line last year, which was not all that great, and got owned plenty by speed rushers.

kevin thomas - you have seen him play three games, and are ready to determine that the kid is gonna be a better cover corner than wini or clements.. absurd and total speculation

travis henry - you said he fumbles are most likely a "rookie mistakes".. funny how he is still allowed to have rookie mistakes, even in his second year..

it is all speculation.. and your predictions are no better than anyone elses..

WG
07-02-2003, 10:22 AM
There are two major comtributions I think Gash can still bring to this team

1. Major class experience and leadership both on the field and locker room.

2. More pass protection for Drew who has been known to be more dangerous when given time and blow the game away when rushed.

no. 2 scares me because although the team leads us to believe that we are going to a more running/smashmouth football with the aquisition of above average blockers, it could very well be a diversion/decption to throwing the ball just as much since Gilbride sustem is not known to be a running system.

If the blocking worksfor our pass protection, I'm all for it but I'd rather we play the way we did the fins at buffalo. Run first to open up the passing game.

And what are they going to do w/ Crosby?

He's faster, younger, and better! Yes, #2 will occur, but not from Gash primarily, but from Crosby.

justasportsfan
07-02-2003, 10:30 AM

And what are they going to do w/ Crosby?

He's faster, younger, and better! Yes, #2 will occur, but not from Gash primarily, but from Crosby.

I didn't say anything about Gash's playing time. I only stated what he bring's to the team. You don't have to play to be a great presence in the locker room or in the sidelines. Didn't you read Missbuffalo's thread about Van Pelt?

WG
07-02-2003, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by MDFINFAN

Stop the wishful thinking Justa, Balt. came to Miami last year and was sent home spanked, Gash had his tail between his legs also..all our LB's survived. It didn't take much, Gash has seen better days. Chesters healthy this year and can actually push off, something he couldn't do too much of last year..the only hole you guys will be punching through, will be gash through his Guards real end, and the buck stops there. Period.

Well, w/ TD signing all these players beplagued w/ injuries, most of them had one or two really good seasons years ago, so fans here automatically assume that they'll be 110%, play like they did when they were in their primes, and match the best season of their careers. LOL

No matter how you slice it however, the Bills are underrated heading into this season and you can definitely count on the Fins and Bills slugging it out for the division title IMO. I see the Pats at .500 or even a game or two below that. Their schedule is horrendous w/ likely only two teams, Houston and Jax who most likely won't be .500 or better. They simply don't have the horses on O to bail out their D when better teams whup up on them.

The Jets will have too much "readjusting" to do w/ key losses, mostly Morton and Coles.

It'll come down to the Fins & Bills and likely injuries will be a key factor for one of the two teams. The only thing injury-wise that could doom us is OL injuries. We can sustain injuries to any other position halfway decently except for the OL IMO, at least w/ the OL depth we presently have. When Pucillo is your 2nd backup, a 7th rounder in his second year w/ no experience, I don't care how they hype him right now, he won't be able to do the job sufficiently w/ Drew at QB. If Brown were the QB, then perhaps it would suffice. But I won't trust that any QB that isn't mobile can be efficient if we have OL injuries.

WG
07-02-2003, 10:33 AM

I didn't say anything about Gash's playing time. I only stated what he bring's to the team. You don't have to play to be a great presence in the locker room or in the sidelines. Didn't you read Missbuffalo's thread about Van Pelt?

Well, using simple logic here, it's gonna be awfully difficult for him to "pass block" for Drew from the bench, wouldn't ya say?

Or are there some new rules we haven't been informed of yet!

LOL

WG
07-02-2003, 10:38 AM
I see the Pats at .500 or even a game or two below that. Their schedule is horrendous w/ likely only two teams, Houston and Jax who most likely won't be .500 or better. They simply don't have the horses on O to bail out their D when better teams whup up on them.

In fact, check out their schedule:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/teamsched?team=nwe

Honestly, I wouldn't at all be surprised to see the Pats start out 3-6 or worse!

IMO of their first 9 games, the following teams will be better than the Pats barring significant injuries:

Us, Philly, Titans, Jets, Giants, Fins, and Denver

That's 7 of 9 teams, and of those 7 games 4 are on the road!

Cleveland in Foxborough is about the only gimme on the schedule and that's not really even a gimme. Heck, they may very well be 1-6 heading into that game!

venis2k1
07-02-2003, 10:50 AM
the browns made the playoffs last year, and they are a better team this year, i wouldnt put that down as a gimme. The nice thing about the pats schedule is if they can stay .500 through the first half of the season, they got a great chance at making the playoffs. after their bye they got Dallas, Houston, Indy, and Jacksonville, miami in Dec. thats pretty easy.

ryven
07-02-2003, 11:54 AM
I like crosby he did a great job blocking for henry last year but gash has alot to show crosby so I am goneing to say we are to see alot of gash this year.

justasportsfan
07-02-2003, 12:34 PM

Well, using simple logic here, it's gonna be awfully difficult for him to "pass block" for Drew from the bench, wouldn't ya say?

Or are there some new rules we haven't been informed of yet!

LOL

I'm not saying he'll be in there most of the time, but you wanna bet he'll be in there for pass blocking situations? :D He may not last as long as he did in the past that's why you pace players like that so they can still contribute quality time.

I doubt our coaches are stupid enough to keep him in there if he can't last long. Then again, let his performance speak for itself when the season starts rather than make us believe that your opinions about him are right and final.

You have been wrong in the past too you know ;)

justasportsfan
07-02-2003, 12:47 PM

If you left it at age, then I will give you that, but since you bring out what he didn't do when he was a raven doesn't mean he'll bust in another team. Are you familiar with Nails and Ricky Williams?

Remember, Gash has Crosby to alternate with which means, he could come out fresh from the sidelines just to bust on your Junior (how did you put it)"seen better days" Seau. Wait a minute my, bad Seau's better days are still ahead of him because he plays for the fins now. :abe: <---- Seau :lol:

WG
07-02-2003, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by venis2k1
the browns made the playoffs last year, and they are a better team this year, i wouldnt put that down as a gimme. The nice thing about the pats schedule is if they can stay .500 through the first half of the season, they got a great chance at making the playoffs. after their bye they got Dallas, Houston, Indy, and Jacksonville, miami in Dec. thats pretty easy.

I hear ya on Cleveland venis, but they're in the same boat as N.E., good D, questionable O, Pats are at home. I figured if there was a gimme, that was it. I agree w/ you however.

As to the rest, yeah, "if"! That's a huge "if" however! I don't think they can do it, essentially b/c as I've said, I think most of those teams are better than N.E. As well, playing those teams back-to-back-to-back all those games has got to take it's toll.

At least we start out w/ 4 tough games, followed by 8 easier ones, then have 4 more tough ones to round out the year. That at least gives us a break. The Pats play 9 straight games all against teams that may make the playoffs this year and 5 that did last year.

I just don't see N.E. emerging any better than 4-5 on a good streak, worse otherwise. If that happens, there's no way they're gonna take 6 of their last 7 to finish 10-6, and I doubt they'd win more than 4 of their remaining 7 given such a start.

I've been saying it all along, the Pats will bring up the basement this year in the AFCE easily. 8-8 tops. I'd say they're a below average team overall w/ a way above average schedule.

MDFINFAN
07-02-2003, 02:43 PM
Wait a minute my, bad Seau's better days are still ahead of him because he plays for the fins now. :abe: &lt;---- Seau :lol:

You got that part right away. Even frest Gash is not as hard as he used to be, if you're familiar with our Dyer, that's what Gash use to be, Dyer maybe available for you guys, if Obafemi Ayanbadejo works out, if you guys get him, then I would say you have hard noised FB, but Gash won't scare me, no more than Seau will scare you. :priest:

MDFINFAN
07-02-2003, 02:56 PM

Well, w/ TD signing all these players beplagued w/ injuries, most of them had one or two really good seasons years ago, so fans here automatically assume that they'll be 110%, play like they did when they were in their primes, and match the best season of their careers. LOL

No matter how you slice it however, the Bills are underrated heading into this season and you can definitely count on the Fins and Bills slugging it out for the division title IMO. I see the Pats at .500 or even a game or two below that. Their schedule is horrendous w/ likely only two teams, Houston and Jax who most likely won't be .500 or better. They simply don't have the horses on O to bail out their D when better teams whup up on them.

The Jets will have too much &quot;readjusting&quot; to do w/ key losses, mostly Morton and Coles.

It'll come down to the Fins &amp; Bills and likely injuries will be a key factor for one of the two teams. The only thing injury-wise that could doom us is OL injuries. We can sustain injuries to any other position halfway decently except for the OL IMO, at least w/ the OL depth we presently have. When Pucillo is your 2nd backup, a 7th rounder in his second year w/ no experience, I don't care how they hype him right now, he won't be able to do the job sufficiently w/ Drew at QB. If Brown were the QB, then perhaps it would suffice. But I won't trust that any QB that isn't mobile can be efficient if we have OL injuries.

I hear you, I think you guys might start off slow because, like the Jets, you will have some adjusting to do, but this may work out to your advantage, because you might come together at the right time and start pushing for the Division title like the Jets did last year, I think that why I'm more weary of the Bills than any other divisional rivals, I wish we could play both our games against you in the first 6 weeks, before you start to jell. If I read your FO correctly, your non mobile QB is why you're trying to up your running game, to keep him from getting too many hits. If your running game improves over last year then Drew will be on fire in the passing game. I still don't put anything pass the pats and Jets, their are divisional rivals and know our teams as well as any one. In those type games, it usually doesn't matter what the records are, each team is only given a 50/50 chance of winning. Other teams if they have losing records, you could give your team a 70/30 chance of winning.

justasportsfan
07-02-2003, 03:06 PM

You got that part right away. Even frest Gash is not as hard as he used to be, if you're familiar with our Dyer, that's what Gash use to be, Dyer maybe available for you guys, if Obafemi Ayanbadejo works out, if you guys get him, then I would say you have hard noised FB, but Gash won't scare me, no more than Seau will scare you. :priest:

Of course, why am I not surprised. seau is already a probowler because he plays for the fins.

Mark Royals scares me more than Seau. :lol:

MDFINFAN
07-02-2003, 03:15 PM

Of course, why am I not surprised. seau is already a probowler because he plays for the fins.

Mark Royals scares me more than Seau. :lol:

You guys keep forgetting, Seau was a pro bowler last year..
He probably won't make playing with the fins, because we won't ask him to do as much, just squash the Bills every once and awhile, put ya'll back in ya place and move on to the next game..

Will you guys please knock M. Royals out of the 1st game and force us to get another putter for the year, please.

justasportsfan
07-02-2003, 03:19 PM

You guys keep forgetting, Seau was a pro bowler last year..
He probably won't make playing with the fins, because we won't ask him to do as much, just squash the Bills every once and awhile, put ya'll back in ya place and move on to the next game..

Will you guys please knock M. Royals out of the 1st game and force us to get another putter for the year, please.

Seau got his probowl out of popularity. If he wasn't a fin , you'd be agreeing with me.

MDFINFAN
07-02-2003, 04:35 PM

Seau got his probowl out of popularity. If he wasn't a fin , you'd be agreeing with me.

Justa, even with Seau being hurt last year, go check his numbers with Spikes, you've been to the phins board, and I know you know the facts, Please stop with the maddness...Seau is not the same as he was 6 years ago, but the bottom line is, is he better than what we had there, you got to answer in the affirmative..Is Gash better than what you had at FB?

justasportsfan
07-02-2003, 05:39 PM

Justa, even with Seau being hurt last year, go check his numbers with Spikes, you've been to the phins board, and I know you know the facts, Please stop with the maddness...Seau is not the same as he was 6 years ago, but the bottom line is, is he better than what we had there, you got to answer in the affirmative..Is Gash better than what you had at FB?

That remains to be seen.

Sure Seau is an upgrade but not automatically a success. Yes, I've been to the fin board and you finfans have Sam Adams a big fat bust in your books. Not trying to redirect the subject at hand just trying to relate the same logic you put on Seau and Gash.

All of them supposedly have seen their best days. I guess we'll see who makes a bigger impact when season starts.

WG
07-02-2003, 09:14 PM
I'd take Seau over Posey on the SS any day of the week, at least for a year or two.

I hear you, I think you guys might start off slow because, like the Jets, you will have some adjusting to do, but this may work out to your advantage, because you might come together at the right time and start pushing for the Division title like the Jets did last year, I think that why I'm more weary of the Bills than any other divisional rivals, I wish we could play both our games against you in the first 6 weeks, before you start to jell. If I read your FO correctly, your non mobile QB is why you're trying to up your running game, to keep him from getting too many hits. If your running game improves over last year then Drew will be on fire in the passing game. I still don't put anything pass the pats and Jets, their are divisional rivals and know our teams as well as any one. In those type games, it usually doesn't matter what the records are, each team is only given a 50/50 chance of winning. Other teams if they have losing records, you could give your team a 70/30 chance of winning.

There will be some gelling, but it'll only be necessary on the DL. Spikes is veteran and good enough to need only a game or two. The secondary will be virtually the same as it was last season as will be 2 of 4 spots on the DL. Adams is a plug, so there's not much "getting used to" needed there. He takes up space but doesn't move really quickly.

On O, our OL will be the same as will one WR spot, the RB spot, and QB. All we have changing is #2 WR, TE, and FB. All three of which played significantly last year, so there should be no adjustments needed beyond preseason for the O.

As to why we're trying to up our running game, it's likely b/c of fan pressure and the fact that once teams figured out what we were doing last year, namely after the first 6 games, they pegged Bledsoe and our offensive passing production was right down there w/ the worst few teams in the league. Bledsoe only averaged 1 TD coupled w/ 1 INT per game in the last 10 games. That'd be a season of 16/16 if that trend continues this year!!

As well, 3 of those 10 TDs were in 1 game v. Miami, leaving only 7 others in 9 games! We lost the K.C. game due to a completely unnecessary and idiotic gamble by Bledsoe, we lost several other games on the merits of negative big plays as well. In the 6 games where Drew did put up 14 TDs, all teams except for Houston had 18th or worse ranked passing Ds.

Gilbride took a lot of heat as did the fact that Henry wasn't used more when he was running very, very well in games. And no, we weren't behind to any extent that it made that unwise, much to the contrary of what we're all spoon fed by the media.

Bledsoe is here to sell tix. IMO that's his biggest asset. I understand that, but if we're gonna win games, then someone has to recognize, as I'm thinking TD/GW may have, that they can hype Drew all they want to sell tix, but when it's time to pay the bill, we need a strong running game predicated and in compliment to a solid D.

Drew would be better w/ a solid rushing game insofar as he'd hopefully be much more efficient due to opponents not being able to pressure him as much. They'll still get to him on obvious passing downs, and as Bills fans, we still have to hope he doesn't make too many bumbling INTs to lose us games at very key moments. But that will be highly mitigated if we run more and make the rushing game the focal point of our O.

While Drew may be on fire under those circumstances, he won't come close to putting up the kind of yardage, attempt, and completion numbers that he did last year. It also won't result in nearly 200 yards passing per TD produced either. He should be much more efficient being able to cut that down to every 125 to 150 which is a lot more near league average.

That will be the tale of our season. If Drew ends up throwing the ball in too many games, too often, then we won't be as good as we can be. If Henry on the other hand, gets the carries he should have gotten last year, then we'll be our best in conjunction w/ a solid D which will feed off of a stellar rushing game.

I know many fans want Drew to be the centerpiece to this team and its O, but if we're gonna win, the opposite has to happen!

MDFINFAN
07-02-2003, 11:03 PM

That remains to be seen.

Sure Seau is an upgrade but not automatically a success. Yes, I've been to the fin board and you finfans have Sam Adams a big fat bust in your books. Not trying to redirect the subject at hand just trying to relate the same logic you put on Seau and Gash.

All of them supposedly have seen their best days. I guess we'll see who makes a bigger impact when season starts.

Justa, I know you know better, listen to what you're saying, an upgrade is not automatic success. Using that logic why did your FO go out and get Adams, Spikes, and Poisey? They expect success. Hell, read the posts here, everyone of you expect your D to be much better, especially up the middle, do you expect Ricky to run up the gust with a lot of success on your D? I was not one of those who blash Adams much, I do think he gets too big and becomes less effective in the 4th qtr...he was like that against Miami last year and Ricky was able to gain 97, if we had ran him more, I'm sure he would have broken a 100. I agree with you bottom line, that it remains to be seen. Remember success just doesn't happen by itself, but by seer determination and prepartation, and Seau is motivated and determine to show the Chargers and media they're dead wrong about his abilities. Sam should be the same way. If ADams, Spikes, and Poisey dosen't make a difference in your D, I think you, me, and the sports world will be in shock. All I'm saying is it may take a couple of games.

MDFINFAN
07-02-2003, 11:14 PM
I'd take Seau over Posey on the SS any day of the week, at least for a year or two.
There will be some gelling, but it'll only be necessary on the DL. Spikes is veteran and good enough to need only a game or two. The secondary will be virtually the same as it was last season as will be 2 of 4 spots on the DL. Adams is a plug, so there's not much &quot;getting used to&quot; needed there. He takes up space but doesn't move really quickly.

On O, our OL will be the same as will one WR spot, the RB spot, and QB. All we have changing is #2 WR, TE, and FB. All three of which played significantly last year, so there should be no adjustments needed beyond preseason for the O.

As to why we're trying to up our running game, it's likely b/c of fan pressure and the fact that once teams figured out what we were doing last year, namely after the first 6 games, they pegged Bledsoe and our offensive passing production was right down there w/ the worst few teams in the league. Bledsoe only averaged 1 TD coupled w/ 1 INT per game in the last 10 games. That'd be a season of 16/16 if that trend continues this year!!

As well, 3 of those 10 TDs were in 1 game v. Miami, leaving only 7 others in 9 games! We lost the K.C. game due to a completely unnecessary and idiotic gamble by Bledsoe, we lost several other games on the merits of negative big plays as well. In the 6 games where Drew did put up 14 TDs, all teams except for Houston had 18th or worse ranked passing Ds.

Gilbride took a lot of heat as did the fact that Henry wasn't used more when he was running very, very well in games. And no, we weren't behind to any extent that it made that unwise, much to the contrary of what we're all spoon fed by the media.

Bledsoe is here to sell tix. IMO that's his biggest asset. I understand that, but if we're gonna win games, then someone has to recognize, as I'm thinking TD/GW may have, that they can hype Drew all they want to sell tix, but when it's time to pay the bill, we need a strong running game predicated and in compliment to a solid D.

Drew would be better w/ a solid rushing game insofar as he'd hopefully be much more efficient due to opponents not being able to pressure him as much. They'll still get to him on obvious passing downs, and as Bills fans, we still have to hope he doesn't make too many bumbling INTs to lose us games at very key moments. But that will be highly mitigated if we run more and make the rushing game the focal point of our O.

While Drew may be on fire under those circumstances, he won't come close to putting up the kind of yardage, attempt, and completion numbers that he did last year. It also won't result in nearly 200 yards passing per TD produced either. He should be much more efficient being able to cut that down to every 125 to 150 which is a lot more near league average.

That will be the tale of our season. If Drew ends up throwing the ball in too many games, too often, then we won't be as good as we can be. If Henry on the other hand, gets the carries he should have gotten last year, then we'll be our best in conjunction w/ a solid D which will feed off of a stellar rushing game.

I know many fans want Drew to be the centerpiece to this team and its O, but if we're gonna win, the opposite has to happen!

I agree, but a good running game sets up the passing game. Drew is like Dan when it comes to play action, but the fact that you can run good, makes a team have to respect even the ugliest play action and with Drew's arm he doesn't need much time. I think Drew is better than you give him credit for. He does more than sell tickets. Teams can't put 8 men in the box, because they respect Drew..His present's along give both your running game some room to breath as well as give you air power. You OC did throw too much last year and didn't use Henry alot, but I still think Henry got a lot of yards because teams prepared to play a passing O..thus they slowed you down a lot in that area, but Henry got most of his yards during this time also. He was an afterthought for most D Corr. last year, this year he'll be a part of their planning. Lets see how he does. Teams won't have to worry as much about your TE, FB and #2 WR in the passing game until they prove themselves. Moulds should give the #2 WR some room to make plays, lets see if Josh can take advantage of it. Can Gash catch consistently out of the backfield, An unknown to me, he hasn't had to do it in most of his situations, your new TE is a bit a mystery as well, and these were Drew's weapons. Some games will require the pass, when the run just not going. This is when people will see if the changes pan out. But overall on paper you seen to be more balanced.

justasportsfan
07-03-2003, 08:31 AM
Wys would rather have Fiedler over Drew , MD. :D

MDFINFAN
07-03-2003, 11:41 AM
Wys would rather have Fiedler over Drew , MD. :D

Boy when Wys sees that Justa, you're gonna get it.:help: