PDA

View Full Version : When we evaluate a QB, do we look at potential, wins/losses, or a combo of both?

imbondz
01-02-2012, 06:07 PM
I'm just as frustrated as everyone with our team. I understand that the QB position is THE main position, and without an elite thrower, you're not going far. HOWEVER, currently there are 6 QBs in the NFL with SuperBowl rings. 6/32 teams. That equals 18% of teams in the league have a SB winning QB leading their team. Currently 1 of those QBs is injured. So 5/32.

So when we talk about QBs being good enough, are we just talking about their potential, or are we looking at their stats/win/losses? Are we looking at if they've won a SB before? Or are we looking into the future of what might be?

What QBs are better than Fitz?

Brady
Rothlesberger
Manning 1
Manning 2
Brees
Rodgers

Obviously, those QB's are better than Fitz. Those are the only ones in the NFL w/ SB rings.

I'll add the following QBs EVEN THO they've never won a SB, or even been to the SB, or even sniffed a SB as better than Fitz:

Rivers (absolutely)
Vick (maybe)
Shaub (maybe)
C. Newton (maybe) too soon to tell
Alex Smith (maybe) 1 good year
Romo (maybe)
Sam Bradford (?????)

The following QBs I would say Fitz is equal to or better:

Flacco - What if the Bills had the Ravens D this year?
Dalton - too soon to tell. What if the Bills had the Bengals D this year?

Fitz is better than:

Sanchez
Moore
McCoy
Freeman
Hasselback
the rest?

Since only 6 QBs in the league have won SBs, are you saying that if Rivers, Vick, Shaub, Newton, Smith, Romo, Bradford, or whoever was a BUFFALO Bill, we'd win a SuperBowl...even tho they've never won a SB with their team?

If winning a SB is the only thing that matters, how is Fitz any different than Rivers, Vick, Shaub, Romo, or any of the 27 QBs in the NFL who have not won a SB?

so what is the criteria of evaluating a QB for our team?

PTI
01-02-2012, 06:32 PM
Sanchez,Freeman and Hassleback (who went to a Super Bowl) are all without a doubt better than Fitz.

imbondz
01-02-2012, 06:54 PM
so you would trade Fitz for Hasselback right now?

The Jokeman
01-02-2012, 07:11 PM
so you would trade Fitz for Hasselback right now?
Not me, Hasselbeck is likely going to be backing up Jake Locker or possibly the team that takes RG3 (possibly Cleveland? under GM Holmgren?). As let's not forget that 2011 was the first season that Fitz was a starting QB from start to finish. I say next year is his make or break year so draft a QB in the mid rounds to possibly to groom as a replacement and keep Tyler Thigpen for the veteran backup/spot starter if the rookie shows nothing. Then take a QB in Round 1 of the 2013. As again build the franchise before the franchise QB I always say and think this offense needs keep Stevie Johnson and find someone that can be a consistant thread. As to me Scott Chandler is more of a redzone threat and David Nelson is a 3rd down/big slot threat. The D needs a pass rusher on the front seven before we can think of being a wild card candidate regardless of who we have at QB.

zone
01-02-2012, 07:22 PM
Sanchez,Freeman and Hassleback (who went to a Super Bowl) are all without a doubt better than Fitz.
Put down whatever you are smoking because not one of them is better than Fitz.

TigerJ
01-02-2012, 07:25 PM
Comparing Fitz to other QBs is difficult because he's had such a "Dr. Jekyl and Mr. Hyde" sort of season. During the first part of the season, he seemed to be one of the top QBs in the league. During the losing streak his play declined remarkably, and in the last two or three games of the losing streak his play was arguably the worst in the league. Then in the final game we had that microcosm of the whole season. Fitz was on target in the first quarter. His passes had zip. It was like "He's back!" Then boom, he was awful again. I remember seing a fflare pass go right to the dirt. He wasn't rushed particularly. The pass wasn't tipped. He just threw it in the ground.

I personally don't regard the Super Bowl win, or wins and losses in general as great criteria for evaluating QBs. I would look at things like consistency in completion percentage, yards per attempt, and intangibles like how he is regarded by teammates. I'm sure there are more areas that could be evaluated too.

Skooby
01-02-2012, 07:25 PM
Put down whatever you are smoking because not one of them is better than Fitz.

Where do folks even come up with this stuff ?? LOL.

Philagape
01-02-2012, 07:38 PM
Obviously, it's a case-by-case thing.
You can't just make W-L an automatic QB stat because there are many other reasons teams can win or lose games. This isn't tennis.
Sanchez's career W-L is probably really good. Tebow fanboys point to Denver's winning streak this year, which shows nothing except their shallow analytical skills.
Brad Johnson and Trent Dilfer and Jeff Hostetler won SBs, too.

The only way to evaluate any QB is how he plays. You analyze the quality of his passes and quality of his decisions. You go beyond the stats and find the facts that are most relevant to his play alone, which is pretty difficult without actual observation. You determine not how many games his team has won, but how and how much he helps his team win games.

EDS
01-02-2012, 08:03 PM
In addition tO the SB winning QBs, stafford, Rivers, Romo, Ryan and Schaub are without a doubt better. In addition, every gm in the game would take any number of young QBs in the league over Fitz, including Newton, Dalton, Freeman, Flacco and Bradford.

I'm just as frustrated as everyone with our team. I understand that the QB position is THE main position, and without an elite thrower, you're not going far. HOWEVER, currently there are 6 QBs in the NFL with SuperBowl rings. 6/32 teams. That equals 18% of teams in the league have a SB winning QB leading their team. Currently 1 of those QBs is injured. So 5/32.

So when we talk about QBs being good enough, are we just talking about their potential, or are we looking at their stats/win/losses? Are we looking at if they've won a SB before? Or are we looking into the future of what might be?

What QBs are better than Fitz?

Brady
Rothlesberger
Manning 1
Manning 2
Brees
Rodgers

Obviously, those QB's are better than Fitz. Those are the only ones in the NFL w/ SB rings.

I'll add the following QBs EVEN THO they've never won a SB, or even been to the SB, or even sniffed a SB as better than Fitz:

Rivers (absolutely)
Vick (maybe)
Shaub (maybe)
C. Newton (maybe) too soon to tell
Alex Smith (maybe) 1 good year
Romo (maybe)
Sam Bradford (?????)

The following QBs I would say Fitz is equal to or better:

Flacco - What if the Bills had the Ravens D this year?
Dalton - too soon to tell. What if the Bills had the Bengals D this year?

Fitz is better than:

Sanchez
Moore
McCoy
Freeman
Hasselback
the rest?

Since only 6 QBs in the league have won SBs, are you saying that if Rivers, Vick, Shaub, Newton, Smith, Romo, Bradford, or whoever was a BUFFALO Bill, we'd win a SuperBowl...even tho they've never won a SB with their team?

If winning a SB is the only thing that matters, how is Fitz any different than Rivers, Vick, Shaub, Romo, or any of the 27 QBs in the NFL who have not won a SB?

so what is the criteria of evaluating a QB for our team?

imbondz
01-02-2012, 08:55 PM
Obviously, it's a case-by-case thing.
You can't just make W-L an automatic QB stat because there are many other reasons teams can win or lose games. This isn't tennis.
Sanchez's career W-L is probably really good. Tebow fanboys point to Denver's winning streak this year, which shows nothing except their shallow analytical skills.
Brad Johnson and Trent Dilfer and Jeff Hostetler won SBs, too.

The only way to evaluate any QB is how he plays. You analyze the quality of his passes and quality of his decisions. You go beyond the stats and find the facts that are most relevant to his play alone, which is pretty difficult without actual observation. You determine not how many games his team has won, but how and how much he helps his team win games.

so you would be happy if we got a Dan Marino? One of the greatest of all time.

or would you prefer a Trent Dilfer?

BertSquirtgum
01-02-2012, 09:03 PM
I would compare fitzputrid to rick mirer. they both stink.

mjt328
01-02-2012, 11:17 PM
Quarterback is the most important position in the NFL.

I mentioned in another post that 73 percent of Super Bowls have been won by a current or future Hall of Fame quarterback. Having an ELITE talent is the ONLY way to go.

I believe a team should NEVER be satisfied at the position until they believe they can't do any better.

So...
Can we do better than Fitz?

OpIv37
01-02-2012, 11:22 PM
I'm all but convinced that the only tool the Bills use to evaluate a QB is how little money he'll accept.

imbondz
01-02-2012, 11:58 PM
Quarterback is the most important position in the NFL.

I mentioned in another post that 73 percent of Super Bowls have been won by a current or future Hall of Fame quarterback. Having an ELITE talent is the ONLY way to go.

I believe a team should NEVER be satisfied at the position until they believe they can't do any better.

So...
Can we do better than Fitz?

if we can't draft an elite QB cuz they're all gone when its our turn, and no free agent QBs are out there that we're willing to pay or that want to come here, then yes, Fitz is the best option right now.

imbondz
01-03-2012, 12:00 AM
I'm not sold that Fitz couldn't become a great QB if he had more talent around him. Would Brady be an Elite QB on our current team?

Philagape
01-03-2012, 01:04 AM
so you would be happy if we got a Dan Marino? One of the greatest of all time.

or would you prefer a Trent Dilfer?

I gave my criteria, and I don't think anyone in his right mind would think Dilfer meets it more than Marino.

Philagape
01-03-2012, 01:12 AM
I'm not sold that Fitz couldn't become a great QB if he had more talent around him. Would Brady be an Elite QB on our current team?

You can say about almost any QB that he would have better numbers with a better team around him.
But that says nothing about the QB. What makes a QB great is what he alone does.

mjt328
01-03-2012, 07:06 AM
if we can't draft an elite QB cuz they're all gone when its our turn, and no free agent QBs are out there that we're willing to pay or that want to come here, then yes, Fitz is the best option right now.

Unfortunately, I agree.

But what I would really like to see out of the Bills this offseason is some effort.

I want to hear (out of the mouths of Buddy Nix and Chan Gailey) that we at least TRIED to make an offer for the #1 pick and Andrew Luck.
I want to hear that we explored the options on trading up for a chance to grab Robert Griffin III.

If teams won't trade, or they want way too much...fine. But I'm getting tired of the years passing by with Buffalo satisfied fielding a mediocre option at quarterback.