• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • blackonyx89
    HI I AM A FREAKING LIONS FAN
    • Mar 2005

Settle this for me BZ peeps!

My brother said that Payton Manning would've gotten a Super Bowl without Bill Polian's help and I said no , he came in and brought in a number of players that put Indy over the top. He had done that in Buffalo and made the Carolina Panthers a decent team during his tenure. It wasn't all about Payton as great as he is.

Payton may have a lot of power to have gotten Polian fired, but Polian was and is an excellent GM, No question and Ralph Wilson was smart, he would hire him, but but we all know that's not the case, because he didn't want to address the Bills defense during the Super Bowl run and Bill was not happy with that and got fired and Ralph's a control freak and doesn't want people in his organization to question him if he's wrong. Bill might have a bad attitude, but he's good at his job!

Payton wouldn't have won a Super Bowl if it weren't for Bill. You can't diss what Bill has done over the years and if they had a category for GM to go in the NFL's Hall of Fame, Bill would absolutely go in there.
    Let's Go Bills, make it happen!!!
  • clumping platelets

Re: Settle this for me BZ peeps!

Peyton could not have won without the players around him. Bill Polian and Tony Dungy built that team.

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
      • Jul 2002

Manning would have won without him.

Comment

• PTI
        Banned
        • Jan 2011

The new theory on Polian and his son being canned is that Bill was passing much of the day to day down to his son, and the owner was not completely comfortable with that happening.

Bill did draft good players. I mean, he took Manning over Leaf and it was controversial, and he took Edgerrin James over Ricky Williams with the #4 overall pick, it was really questionable,, and was the right call.

Comment

• NOT THE DUDE...
          Hall of Fame Zoner
          • Jan 2010

its so simple, yet many gms dont know the only 2 steps it takes to win.

1- competent qb play
          2- outside elite pass rush

thats his formula and it always will win...

everything else is just being an avg gm. put any top 10 qb and any top 5 de pass rusher on any team and they will win more than they lose. even if the rest of the players are average.
          Last edited by NOT THE DUDE...; 01-03-2012, 08:58 AM.

Comment

• MattyNH
            • Nov 2011

It's unknowable. Peyton is one of the best QB's of all time so assuming the Colts got Manning without Polian it is reasonable to assume they would have been in contention a few times. Teams have won Super Bowls without Polian as GM, actually Polian for all the accolades has 1 whole SB win to his credit, as many as Peyton Manning.

I think this season showed how great Peyton is, he is the single most important player any team has in the NFL.

Polian's drafting the last 5 years has been atrocious, I'm not bashing him but it is true, Manning has been winning games in spite of that.
            Last edited by MattyNH; 01-03-2012, 09:27 AM.

Comment

• ServoBillieves
              The Voice of Reason
              • Jul 2007

I know it's a message board and spelling isn't a huge issue, but why the hell if you are going to start a thread would you spell it "payton", Not evem that, but the unknowable words that come out...

That being said, Polian accomplished a lot with Indy, and the man knows how to run a team. The players around Peyton Manning were drafted and specifically picked to HELP Peyton run a strategic , no huddle and deceptive offense. No time to fix packages, RB's who could run the screen or make a move out to slot receiver. Without Peyton, Caldwell had no

This firing purely comes down to who wanted to draft Luck and the man who put Wayne, Garcon, Harrison, Clark, et cetera in the news. Pretty sad that one of the best GM's of all time has ONE bad season and is canned.
              Bye Bye Brady...

Comment

• blackonyx89
                HI I AM A FREAKING LIONS FAN
                • Mar 2005

Originally posted by ServoBillieves
                I know it's a message board and spelling isn't a huge issue, but why the hell if you are going to start a thread would you spell it "payton", Not evem that, but the unknowable words that come out...

That being said, Polian accomplished a lot with Indy, and the man knows how to run a team. The players around Peyton Manning were drafted and specifically picked to HELP Peyton run a strategic , no huddle and deceptive offense. No time to fix packages, RB's who could run the screen or make a move out to slot receiver. Without Peyton, Caldwell had no

This firing purely comes down to who wanted to draft Luck and the man who put Wayne, Garcon, Harrison, Clark, et cetera in the news. Pretty sad that one of the best GM's of all time has ONE bad season and is canned.

Sorry about the spelling on Peyton there. BTW, you misspelled, even. There's no m in even, just sayin.'

Let's Go Bills, make it happen!!!

Comment

• Night Train
                  Retired - On Several Levels
                  • Jul 2005

Sometimes I wonder if Manning won that SB in spite of the teams makeup.

The Indy D had some speed but was so small and could be pounded by an effective running game. They gave up lots of yardage and points over the years, many times exiting the playoffs earlier than expected.

JMO. It reminds me of the early Elway Denver teams, where he literally carried them further than the actual team talent level, just because he was so freakin' awesome. Later the D and running game improved and he won 2 SB's back to back.

I think Manning was shorted many season in his surrounding cast.
                  Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• imbondz
                    Democrats are people too
                    • Jan 2003

Originally posted by clumping platelets
                    Peyton could not have won without the players around him. Bill Polian and Tony Dungy built that team.
                    that's not what a lot of people here say. a QB defines the team, not the surrounding cast.
                    My faith doesn’t make me perfect, it makes me forgiven.

Comment

• trapezeus
                      Legendary Zoner
                      • Oct 2004

Peyton kind of showed it was all him. when his teams were more talented he struggled in the big game. but whent he teams were more or less put on his shoulders, it was all him. even in the superbowl they lost, Polian took the blame for having such a teerrible line all season. and elite blitzing team like the saints overcame that.

As for Bill, he kind of slowly transitioned power over to Chris starting in 2006 based on the most recent articles. my family is tangently connected to the polians and one thing you heard a lot before the lockout was that Bill wanted to just stay on through that process and see that through and then retire shortly after.

So based on that, Chris seems to get a lot of blame for the last couple blown drafts. he fired some of the scouts, he made a lot of the decisions. Irsay was left with, Bill probably leaving and getting stuck with Chris who is taking a lot of the heat.

One thing about teams who fire bill polian? It doesn't usually end well for the team who let him go. There are a couple residual years of averageness, and then a steep fall off. Good luck colts.

Comment

• TacklingDummy
                        Unreachable Douche
                        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by blackonyx89
                        My brother said that Payton Manning would've gotten a Super Bowl without Bill Polian's help and I said no , he came in and brought in a number of players that put Indy over the top. He had done that in Buffalo and made the Carolina Panthers a decent team during his tenure. It wasn't all about Payton as great as he is.
                        I agree with your brother. Polin was blessed to have been able to draft Manning. It's the 2nd time in his career he got real lucky.

Maybe they would have won more Super Bowls without Polian.
                        Last edited by TacklingDummy; 01-03-2012, 11:02 AM.

Comment

Working...
                        X