PDA

View Full Version : Draft philosophy - Nix

psubills62
01-03-2012, 11:02 AM
Last year I did an analysis of team drafts where Buddy Nix was a significant contributor. I'm planning on doing it again (updated with last year's draft), but now that I'm seeing a lot of draft threads, I thought I'd go ahead and just mention a few things that I expect to see.

There are two position groups that I've noticed Nix place a strong emphasis on: defensive backs and defensive line. The former group is emphasized in terms of both quality and quantity (lots of them and drafted early). The defensive linemen are drafted early, but don't come in large numbers.

One position group is emphasized in terms of quantity, but very de-emphasized when it comes to quality: offensive line. Nix tends to draft a lot of OL, but later in the draft. If I remember correctly, in 6-7 drafts with San Diego, there were maybe two offensive linemen drafted in the first three rounds - Marcus McNeill (2nd round), and a center (3rd round).

Most of the other positions were hit or miss - some drafted early, some drafted late, average numbers.

When coming up with mock drafts, I think people should consider these things. I'd also rank our team needs as follows:

Tier 1: WR, OLB, ILB, TE
Tier 2: CB, OT, QB, DE
Tier 3: S, OG, DT, RB

Of course, those position needs will change slightly depending on if we switch to a 4-3 (DE moves to Tier 1, rest stay same).

Considering everything, I'd say the most likely first round picks for specific positions are WR, OLB, and CB. I'd also guess that there is 0.1% chance we go with an OT (for full disclosure, I'd love to have a first round OT).

Anyway, just wanted to remind people of Nix's tendencies while thinking about the draft.

jamze132
01-03-2012, 11:05 AM
I would say that we either draft a DE, LB, or WR in RD1.

ddaryl
01-03-2012, 11:22 AM
a pass rushing DE would be just as important as a pass rushing OLB.

I would add DE to tier 1 options

psubills62
01-03-2012, 10:00 PM
Very possible. Depends on if we switch to a 4-3 - or if we stay with the 3-4, depends on how they view the DE position. We obviously need a starter there, but we have bodies who can manage.

Nix places such an emphasis on CB's that I think we'll draft one early. I think he actually said after the last draft that they'd like to take at least one every year because they're just that important.

tampabay25690
01-03-2012, 10:07 PM

Anyone of the 3 is cool with me

ThunderGun
01-03-2012, 10:30 PM
Best post i've read since joining Billszone.

Awesome job. I've been wondering about Nix's draft tendencies (but too lazy to do the research).
So without doing the research, it kinda seems to me that he favors players from the SEC. At least the last couple of years. Have you noticed anything like that?

psubills62
01-03-2012, 11:46 PM
Best post i've read since joining Billszone.

Awesome job. I've been wondering about Nix's draft tendencies (but too lazy to do the research).
So without doing the research, it kinda seems to me that he favors players from the SEC. At least the last couple of years. Have you noticed anything like that?
Good to have you on board. I will say that I didn't pay attention to specific schools when looking at this information, so I have no input there. Last year definitely seemed to be a southern school bias.

Here's the post/thread I'm referring to: http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?t=199778

Bert102176
01-03-2012, 11:46 PM
IMO from 1 to 10 ther are no D players worth being picked there not till around pick 12 should a D player be takin

Bert102176
01-03-2012, 11:48 PM
except for Morris Claiborne CB

psubills62
01-03-2012, 11:50 PM
IMO from 1 to 10 ther are no D players worth being picked there not till around pick 12 should a D player be takin
I guess that's an opinion. If Nix and Whaley and co. really like a defensive guy, not sure they'll be concerned if they take him at 10 and you think he's only worth a 12. Not really a huge difference between those slots.

psubills62
01-03-2012, 11:50 PM
except for Morris Claiborne CB
If Claiborne is there at our pick (I don't expect him to be), I would almost guarantee he's the guy. Nix loves him some first round CB's.

Bert102176
01-04-2012, 12:24 AM
If Claiborne is there at our pick (I don't expect him to be), I would almost guarantee he's the guy. Nix loves him some first round CB's.

nah he will be gone top 6

kingJofNYC
01-04-2012, 02:08 AM
Ingram, K.Wright, Claiborne, Blackmon, DeCastro, or best LT available

One of them will be there at 10

Night Train
01-04-2012, 04:46 AM
Priorities for this upcoming draft in any order.

DE, OLB, DE , OLB - sense a pattern ?

If we ever expect to compete, we need to rush the passer and stop the run first. D keeps you in games and currently, ours does not.

Dareus & K. Williams stay in the middle. Run the 4-3 and find the outside guys. Rotate Barnett and Sheppard at MLB.

You can find WR's in UFA to replace SJ. Keep Hagan and sign another.

NOT THE DUDE...
01-04-2012, 05:16 AM
UPSHAW, COPLES OR BUST...