• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mr. Miyagi
    Lecter's Little *****

• Sep 2002

Coples scouting report

Correct me if I'm wrong, since I'm no scouting expert. But reading Coples' scouting report reminds me of Maybin.

Coples:

Strengths: Prototypical measurables, including long arms – Flashes the ability to dominate a game and dictate how the offensive line makes their calls – Excellent first-step – Has the ability and power to deliver a crushing club move – Can anchor against the run – Incredible potential – Has some versatility, could play 4-3 DE, 3-4 DE if he bulks up a bit, or kick inside on passing downs, he even stands up on occasion.

Weaknesses: Still a work in progress rushing the passer, needs to diversify his rush movesContent to be blocked at times, should have more production – Can improve his hand use in disengaging from blockersShould get his long arms up when not applying pressure – Needs to keep his pad level more consistent.

Maybin 2009:

Positives: Tall with a frame to add a needed 10-15 pounds of muscle in his upper body. Superior quickness off the snap on wide rushes. Combines speed and length to challenge offensive tackles in passing situations. Very good straight-line speed to chase plays down the line or hustle downfield. Keeps cut blocks off his knees, recovers and maintains balance. Great length and vertical to affect passing lanes. Dropped into zone coverage often, got into his zone in a hurry when decisive. Breaks down in space and can change direction in the backfield to handle cutbacks and misdirection. Improving his hand usage as a pass rusher.

Negatives: A bit thin in the hips and might not grow into a defensive end build. Does not always use his length to get off offensive tackle or tight end blocks. Lacks the strength to bull rush. Runs stiff and upright, looks much better straight-ahead than laterally. Doesn't turn the corner as fast as you'd like because of his inflexible lower body. Needs more pass-rush moves. Always runs straight up the field, allowing tackles to direct him around the pocket. Demoted to backup status during the week of the Rose Bowl for undisclosed reasons.
    I confess I haven't seen a single game of Coples. Tell me I'm crazy.
    Last edited by Mr. Miyagi; 01-03-2012, 12:46 PM.
  • TigerJ
    • Jul 2002

Re: Coples scouting report

There are similarities, but Coples starts out 2 inches taller and about 25 lbs heavier than Maybin. The biggest "if" with Coples in my opinion is his head. Can an NFL coach light a fire under him? It's been done before with other players, but there's never a guarantee.
    I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• mysticsoto
      Too sober for this...
      • Apr 2004

Coples and Maybin are not similar. Coples has incredible potential. His work ethic is really what's in question. If you can find a way to light his fire, you have a fantastic DE. Personally, I think he's more suited for a 4-3.

It's interesting b'cse Ngata work ethic was somewhat questioned when he came out of college and he's been a force. It's hard to know with some people how they will react.

Comment

• nolimit
        Member of the Official Drew Bledsoe Truce!
        • Aug 2003

I say you gamble on this guy...why the f not....we have sucked at drafting for so many years....we are never goin to get ahead by picking safe players.....even safe players don't pan out.

Comment

• scartown
          • Dec 2008

Pass on Coples

Comment

• JCBills
            • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Mr. Miyagi
            Correct me if I'm wrong, since I'm no scouting expert. But reading Coples' scouting report reminds me of Maybin.

Coples:

Maybin 2009:

I confess I haven't seen a single game of Coples. Tell me I'm crazy.
            Can play 3-4 DE if he bulks up. Understand the difference between 3-4 and 4-3. Maybin was 220 lbs. Coples is 280. Read everything you didn't highlight and notice the massive differences. "Can anchor" should be the first one to blow up any Maybin similarities.

You're talking about someone who is 220 having an great first step vs someone at 280 with the same ability, and then bulking up in relation to two completely different positions.
            Last edited by JCBills; 01-03-2012, 01:56 PM.

Comment

• DraftBoy
              Administrator
              • Jul 2002

You're picking and choosing phrases that don't fit when you add the context.

Case in point...

Maybin needed to bulk up to play ANY position in the NFL because he played in college at around 220. Coples would only need to bulk up if he played 34 DE. He's already around 275-280.

This fascination with comparing every defensive line prospect to Aaron Maybin is going from absurb to sick and twisted.
              COMING SOON...
              Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
              We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• ddaryl
                Everything I post is sexual inuendo
                • Jan 2005

Maybin was a sophmore with one year of production. Coples has 4 years with solid production in his last 2.

Coples also comes out of NC Tarheels, a DE producing machine

Comment

• Night Train
                  Retired - On Several Levels
                  • Jul 2005

Explain how a 6-6 280 lb. DE who can anchor against the run is' anything resembling Maybin.
                  Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• mjt328
                    • May 2011

I've been watching gamefilm on the top DE prospects.

Quinton Coples has good size and strength, and simply looks like a pro lineman. The problem is, I just don't see consistent pressure from him.

Courney Upshaw is probably a better fit at outside linebacker in the NFL. But I hate his effort. When the play is away from his side, he basically stands there.

To me, the best DE prospect is Whitney Mercilus. Film doesn't lie. The guy is breathing on the quarterback almost every play. He's only a mid-1st round prospect right now because this was his first year starting in college - so he really came out of nowhere. But don't be suprised if he climbes into the top 10 by April.
                    2013 "My Should Have" Draft
                    Posted During the 2013 Draft
                    1 - (16): Geno Smith, QB, West Virginia
                    2 - (41): Robert Woods, WR, USC
                    2 - (46): Arthur Brown, LB, Kansas State
                    3 - (78): Quinton Patton, WR, Louisiana Tech
                    4 - (105): Barrett Jones, OG, Alabama
                    5 - (143): Brandon Jenkins, LB, Florida State
                    6 - (177): Da'Rick Rogers, WR, Tennessee Tech
                    7 - (222): Tyler Bray, QB, Tennessee

2013 Buddy Nix Draft
                    1 - (16): E.J. Manuel, QB, Florida State
                    2 - (41): Robert Woods, WR, USC
                    2 - (46): Kiko Alonso, LB, Oregon
                    3 - (78): Marquise Goodwin, WR, Texas
                    4 - (105): Duke Williams, FS, Nevada
                    5 - (143): Jonathan Meeks, SS, Clemson
                    6 - (177): Dustin Hopkins, K, Florida State
                    7 - (222): Chris Gragg, TE, Arkansas

Comment

• starrymessenger
                      • Oct 2009

Originally posted by mysticsoto
                      Coples and Maybin are not similar. Coples has incredible potential. His work ethic is really what's in question. If you can find a way to light his fire, you have a fantastic DE. Personally, I think he's more suited for a 4-3.

It's interesting b'cse Ngata work ethic was somewhat questioned when he came out of college and he's been a force. It's hard to know with some people how they will react.
                      I remember having dinner with a Dr from Eugene and a huge U of O fan shortly before the 2006 draft. I asked him about reports that Ngata took plays off etc... He told me no, not at all, that Ngata was a beast that he was always double or triple teamed. I came away feeling pretty good about the guy we were about to draft.

Comment

• starrymessenger
                        • Oct 2009

Originally posted by Night Train
                        Explain how a 6-6 280 lb. DE who can anchor against the run is' anything resembling Maybin.
                        You're right. Coples is the opposite of Maybin. Maybin has nothing except a motor: Coples has everything except a motor. Pass.

Comment

• JCBills
                          • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Night Train
                          By cherrypicking phrases from scouting reports on a player they have never seen play.

People look for reasons to panic. Even positives like quickness were apparenly a reason for concern.

Comment

• kingJofNYC
                            • Sep 2009

I'm staying away from all of these DEs at number 10, don't trust them and we can use help elsewhere.

Coples plays like a dog, sick of hearing about his potential, 4 of his sacks were against complete scrubs.

Look at this way, everyone said Newton had potential to be the best but they didn't know if he would put it together or care enough at the NFL level. They left out the part where he dominated college football and the SEC. He had potential and actually showed it on the field, but the talking heads glossed over it.

Coples has potential and shows ****, he isnt even the best DE in a mediocre ACC conference. He's no Maybin, he has his own unique features that turn me off entirely.
                            Last edited by kingJofNYC; 01-03-2012, 04:52 PM.

Comment

• TacklingDummy
                              Unreachable Douche
                              • Jul 2002

One thing for sure, with the 10th pick in the draft, not many of us are going to happy with whatever selection they make.

Do they go DE or LB or CB or WR or OL? So many needs.

Thank you meaningless wins.
                              Last edited by TacklingDummy; 01-03-2012, 05:01 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X