PDA

View Full Version : WGR550 big announcement planned for tomorrow at studios

Fitzpatrick'sbeard
01-03-2012, 10:24 PM
Brian Koziol who is host of the Sabres Post game show just before the end of the Post Game hinted that there's going to be a big announcement tomorrow at the WGR550 studios so be shure to tune in. Wouldn't say what it's all about. I was hoping that Bull Frog and Soap were getting fired.

The Buffalo Bills and Entercom Communications are expected to announce that the team's radio broadcasts will return to WGR 550.

After Cumulus Media announced Monday that it was out of the bidding for the Bills' radio rights, Entercom seemed like the logical place for the games to land. Entercom owns WGR -- the all-sports station that also carries Buffalo Sabres games -- along with WBEN, KISS 98.5, Star 102.5 FM, WKBW 1520 and AM 1400.

Broadcasting sources confirmed Tuesday that WGR will carry the Bills in 2012. The announcement may come as soon as Wednesday.

http://blogs.buffalonews.com/billboard/2012/01/bills-games-moving-to-wgr-550.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+typepad%2Fbuffalonews%2Fbillboard+%28BillBoard%29

mrbojanglezs
01-03-2012, 10:31 PM
ya....its obvious they got the bills games.....

Bet everyone can't wait to hear schopp do the play by play HAHAHAHA

TigerJ
01-03-2012, 10:44 PM
WGR will no doubt hire John Murphy and Mark Kelso to do their broadcasts. They are not a bad radio duo for a small market. Kelso isn't the most exciting radio personality, but he gives some pretty good insights sometimes.

THE END OF ALL DAYS
01-03-2012, 10:51 PM
will WHAM still have the rochester market?

Michael82
01-04-2012, 12:21 AM
will WHAM still have the rochester market?

Nope...WHAM dropped out yesterday. It's going to be on one of the Entercom Rochester stations...I'm guessing either WCMF or WROC 950AM.

mikemac2001
01-04-2012, 12:46 AM
Nope...WHAM dropped out yesterday. It's going to be on one of the Entercom Rochester stations...I'm guessing either WCMF or WROC 950AM.

i miss 1180 with van miller...i guess nothing else will feel right ever!

good old van

NOT THE DUDE...
01-04-2012, 12:57 AM
kelso, i always remember him getting smashed by ottis anderson with that forearm in superbowl 25

Meathead
01-04-2012, 06:09 AM
http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110809221103/thewolfweb/images/6/64/Gazoo.jpg

Jeff1220
01-04-2012, 06:11 AM
Crap! I guess I won't be listening to games on my Iheartradio app anymore :(

Johnny Bugmenot
01-04-2012, 07:30 AM
You're probably right, although WHAM wasn't one of the stations covered under the Cumulus agreement so they may not be out of the running yet (they were listed in the PR writeup, but that was a mistake-- they're not a Cumulus station). It depends on what some of the other markets do.

If Clear Channel puts the games on their stations in Syracuse and Binghamton, there's a realistic shot that WHAM (also a Clear Channel station) stays in the Bills network.

If not (for instance, if Galaxy Communications, which has a sports station in the Syracuse market, picks up the Bills games), then it will probably stick with Entercom, likely WCMF because of its much better signal than that little stick they call WROC.

Cleve
01-04-2012, 07:59 AM

good old van

Yep, I miss Van - he was the VOICE of Bills. Now we get Kelso going "Murph Murph Murph Murph Murph" like he's in love with him or something. LOL I don't even like listening to the game on the radio - I'll just DVR it and get highlights on my cellphone if I can't be home to watch rather than endure the radio-cast.

OpIv37
01-04-2012, 08:18 AM

good old van

Van was great but age just caught up with him. Toward the end of his career, he was so confused that he was calling players by the name of the guy who wore the same number 5-10 years earlier. I think he even referred to Moulds as Lofton one time. His brain apparently never left the early 90's.

If only the team was so lucky....

doug45
01-04-2012, 08:23 AM

Wham is in big trouble these days , just last week they dropped some of the most popular expensive national shows for cheaper local ones and now the Bills. What a fall from the top. This is what happens when out of town money people buy things they have no idea about!!

Cleve
01-04-2012, 08:35 AM
Wham is in big trouble these days , just last week they dropped some of the most popular expensive national shows for cheaper local ones and now the Bills. What a fall from the top. This is what happens when out of town money people buy things they have no idea about!!

What shows did WHAM drop now? Their morning show sort of went down the tubes when they canned Beth Adams - now it's just Chet Walker - kind of boring.

I think of it as the Mormon Station anyways once the morning news show ends - 5 or 6 hours in a row of veiled Mormonism - first Glenn Beck, then Bob Loonsberry. Can't they sandwich a Presbyterian in there somewhere? LOL Needless to say, I stopped listening a long time ago to WHAM in the morning and daytime - listen to Bob Mathews at 6 when I'm driving - that's about it.

THRILLHO
01-04-2012, 09:05 AM
What shows did WHAM drop now? Their morning show sort of went down the tubes when they canned Beth Adams - now it's just Chet Walker - kind of boring.

I think of it as the Mormon Station anyways once the morning news show ends - 5 or 6 hours in a row of veiled Mormonism - first Glenn Beck, then Bob Loonsberry. Can't they sandwich a Presbyterian in there somewhere? LOL Needless to say, I stopped listening a long time ago to WHAM in the morning and daytime - listen to Bob Mathews at 6 when I'm driving - that's about it.

Why'd they fire her? I remember listening intently every morning to hear if my school was closed.

PromoTheRobot
01-04-2012, 09:41 AM
Why'd they fire her? I remember listening intently every morning to hear if my school was closed.

Budget cutbacks. They need to pay for those executive bonuses somehow.

PTR

Night Train
01-04-2012, 10:12 AM
Yep, I miss Van - he was the VOICE of Bills. Now we get Kelso going "Murph Murph Murph Murph Murph" like he's in love with him or something. LOL I don't even like listening to the game on the radio - I'll just DVR it and get highlights on my cellphone if I can't be home to watch rather than endure the radio-cast.

Kelso can be a blantant homer, little question but he's not half as bad as many of these TV crews that called our games this season.

Don Criqui is a Buffalo born guy but he must have screwed up the players uniform numbers a good 15 times this past week. Other crews,especially the CBS ones, are very poor and sound like they're borderline blind. Marv Albert should have retired 10 years ago.

Everyone deserves a mulligan during the broadcasts but it's gotten very bad the last few years.

Meathead
01-04-2012, 10:50 AM
i didnt even care that van miller was mixing up player names. he coulda been busting out in old flapper tunes and i wouldnt of cared as long as he kept doing the games

streetkings01
01-04-2012, 01:04 PM
kelso, i always remember him getting smashed by ottis anderson with that forearm in superbowl 25You mean the upper cut?

Mski
01-04-2012, 01:17 PM
My guess is with John Murphy saying he's not doing the play by play anymore, its likely to be Koziol

doug45
01-04-2012, 08:58 PM

Glen Beck to the middle of the night
Bob Lonsberry from 11 - 2 to 9 -1
Mike Savage GONE
Bills GONE

Johnny Bugmenot
01-04-2012, 09:05 PM
Glen Beck to the middle of the night
Bob Lonsberry from 11 - 2 to 9 -1
Mike Savage GONE
Bills GONE
So basically, other than the Bills, the only show gone is a syndicated late-night host (who Beck moved to replace). It could be a lot worse. Believe it or not, local shows are usually quite a bit more expensive than syndicated ones (although Limbaugh is an exception)-- one station paying a host's salary instead of the pooled resources of hundreds of stations. There's a reason it's Beck moving to late-night instead of Lonsberry-- they need a return on their investment so they put him in daytime instead of the evening, when nobody listens to radio. Savage is on the decline anyway.

Fitzpatrick'sbeard
01-04-2012, 10:40 PM
My guess is with John Murphy saying he's not doing the play by play anymore, its likely to be Koziol

Murphy tonight on WIVB took back what he said on last night's WIVB Sports

" My friends,

Last night I said that I wasn't going to do the Bills games next season, with 97 Rock not renewing the contract I thought I was out of a job. But the Buffalo Bills CEO Russ Brandon assured me that wasn't the case, so I'm back as the play-by-play announcer of the Bills and Mark (Kelso) will be right alongside of me and we both congratulate WGR550 and Entercom communications for landing the Buffalo Bills and hope all the Buffalo Bills fans listen to when the preseason starts ~ John Murphy

YardRat
01-05-2012, 06:01 AM
Good news for Coach Sal, although I really dislike GR55.

The stars are re-aligning to the early 90's...we're going back to the big game, ladies and gents.

Cleve
01-05-2012, 06:17 AM
Murphy tonight on WIVB took back what he said on last night's WIVB Sports

" My friends,

Last night I said that I wasn't going to do the Bills games next season, with 97 Rock not renewing the contract I thought I was out of a job. But the Buffalo Bills CEO Russ Brandon assured me that wasn't the case, so I'm back as the play-by-play announcer of the Bills and Mark (Kelso) will be right alongside of me and we both congratulate WGR550 and Entercom communications for landing the Buffalo Bills and hope all the Buffalo Bills fans listen to when the preseason starts ~ John Murphy

Oh goodie - we'll get another year of Kelso yammering "Murph Murph Murph Murph Murph" in adoration, like a parrot.

Michael82
01-05-2012, 12:03 PM
I guess I was right, except it's going to be on BOTH stations. :up:

Fitzpatrick'sbeard
01-05-2012, 03:44 PM
On January 4, 2012 the Buffalo Bills announced a new multi-year radio broadcasting partnership with Entercom Communications to broadcast all Bills football games on WGR (550 AM) in Buffalo beginning with the 2012 season. The Buffalo Bills Radio Network will also be heard on Entercom’s WCMF (96.5 FM) and WROC (950 AM) in Rochester plus another 19 stations throughout the New York State region.
Entercom’s WBEN had previously been the flagship station of the Bills from 1979-1989 and again from 1994-1997.
WGR (550 AM) will air Buffalo Bills football games beginning with the Bills first preseason game in 2012. The schedule of games will be announced at a later date.

John Murphy will continue to handle the play-by-play duties with the color commentary coming from former Bills defensive back Mark Kelso.
Murphy, the sports director at WIVB-TV in Buffalo, is entering his 25th season as part of the broadcast team and ninth as the play-by-play voice of the Bills.
Kelso enters his seventh season as the color analyst for the Buffalo Bills Radio Network. Known for his intelligence and savvy on the field, Kelso will look to bring those same intangibles to the Bills broadcast team.
Kelso enjoyed an eight-year NFL career with Buffalo (1986-1993) and served as the starting free safety for the final seven seasons of his career.

Twenty-two stations will air the Buffalo Bills games in 2012:
A complete listing will be posted closer to the start of the 2012 season.
CALL LETTERS
FREQUENCY
CITY
WGR 550 AM Buffalo
WCMF 96.5 FM Rochester
WROC 950 AM Rochester

http://www.buffalobills.com/media-center/radio-network-listing.html

I beleive 107.7 has to be one also when Empire was still around they started WNSA and it could be heard all the way to the Finger Lakes. The transmitter is located in Wethersfield, New York