PDA

View Full Version : Bills sign David Clowney

Philagape
01-04-2012, 06:10 PM
By JOHN WAWROW
AP Sports Writer
BUFFALO, N.Y. (AP) - The agent for receiver David Clowney has told The Associated Press that his client has agreed to sign with the Buffalo Bills.
Brian Mackler confirmed Clowney had signed with the Bills on Wednesday shortly after the receiver posted on his Twitter account a photo of the contract he received from the team.
The Bills were not immediately available for comment.
Clowney has been out of football since being waived by the Carolina Panthers before the start of this past season. He had six catches for 102 yards in 10 games with the Panthers in 2010. Clowney previously spent four seasons with the New York Jets.

YardRat
01-04-2012, 06:18 PM
Whew. Now we can concentrate on something other than WR with our first round draft pick.

ServoBillieves
01-04-2012, 06:24 PM
In other news, my dog vomited on our bed.

Pinkerton Security
01-04-2012, 06:32 PM
speed guy. basically nothing else.

better days
01-04-2012, 07:10 PM

Strange but TRUE, our dog vomited on our bed as well. It must be a sign.

JoeMama
01-04-2012, 07:17 PM
There goes Stevie's contract leverage. WE GOT DAVID CLOWNEY!

bigbub2352
01-04-2012, 08:17 PM
lame

BleedinGreenNC
01-04-2012, 08:26 PM
Pre-season warrior

Jeff1220
01-04-2012, 08:33 PM
He should fit right in w/all the other clowns in this org.

ServoBillieves
01-04-2012, 08:43 PM
speed guy. basically nothing else.

Next Lee Evans... oh wait, someone needs to be able to throw it PAST the first down marker... my bad.

JoeMama
01-04-2012, 08:50 PM
I really think this is a worthless move.

It's a great year for receivers. Why even waste your time with a guy like Clowney. He's not even much of a deep threat, if that's the point.

We have garbage dump depth players already. Easley, Nelson, Jones, Hagan, Roosevelt, Martin, etc etc.

Go get someone good.

TigerJ
01-04-2012, 08:52 PM
Whew. Now we can concentrate on something other than WR with our first round draft pick. Yeah, he's something like 6'6" and runs the 40 in 4.2, doesn't he? Oh, and he's able to leap tall buildings with a single bound.

Romes
01-04-2012, 08:52 PM
Wish the Bills would stop clowning around...

Marvelous
01-04-2012, 09:03 PM
haha! good one. got my attention my old KFFL bills bro...

Johnny Bugmenot
01-04-2012, 09:19 PM
Trade/camp fodder.

more cowbell
01-04-2012, 09:19 PM

Literally just made my night with that comment

YardRat
01-05-2012, 06:06 AM
I really think this is a worthless move.

It's a great year for receivers. Why even waste your time with a guy like Clowney. He's not even much of a deep threat, if that's the point.

We have garbage dump depth players already. Easley, Nelson, Jones, Hagan, Roosevelt, Martin, etc etc.

Go get someone good.

Not fair to lump Nelson in with those other guys. Maybe replace him w/Parrish.

YardRat
01-05-2012, 06:07 AM

Too much peanut butter?

Night Train
01-05-2012, 06:22 AM
Hagan, Clowney and bring Peerless out of mothballs is probably the next move.

Basically telling us Steve Johnson is playing somewhere else next season and the Bills tired of his crap.

Plus they wish to concentrate on the D during the off-season.

Buddo
01-05-2012, 07:09 AM
Hagan, Clowney and bring Peerless out of mothballs is probably the next move.

Basically telling us Steve Johnson is playing somewhere else next season and the Bills tired of his crap.

Plus they wish to concentrate on the D during the off-season.

I think it's no more than a 'look see' move. Aside from Nelson, we got next to nothing from the other young guys last season. Even if we re-sign Stevie, if we are going 4 & 5 wide, we are going to need a better bunch of WRs. I like what Hagan has done so far, and I think he's got a chance to stick tbh, but aside from Johnson (if re-signed) and Nelson, we have nothing of note.
Sure, Easley might turn out fine, but that's a heck of a gamble atm. Similarly, Jones might improve, but again, it's a gamble.

DesertFox24
01-05-2012, 07:13 AM
We all talked about getting a speed WR.

This guy is 6'0 and ran a 4.32 at the combine or something, if he makes the team he could be an excellent decoy and send him on go routes all the time.

Also he was a solid gunner and special teams player for the jets.

Do I think he solves our problem, NO, but it is not a bad signing this point in the season to bring him in and see what he can do.

Two things you can't teach are height and speed. He is 6'0 at the combine which is decent height and a flyer.

Like most of you said he probably does not make the team, but do not hate on the bills for doing something at this point.

Lets see what happens on March 14th.

OpIv37
01-05-2012, 07:16 AM
McKillop and Clowney in the same week?

Championship!

Might as well cancel the 2012 season and name us champions because there is no way anyone else can compete with that!

Ickybaluky
01-05-2012, 08:06 AM
This guy is 6'0 and ran a 4.32 at the combine or something, if he makes the team he could be an excellent decoy and send him on go routes all the time.

The number I have on him at the combine is 4.37. Either way, he is a track guy who can really fly. As a WR he is a deep threat, but not a real polished player. The one route he runs well is a go pattern.

The big knock on Clowney is he doesn't show enough on ST. Mike Tannenbaum specifically said when the Jets cut him they had wanted to see more out of him as a returner. For all his speed, any reserve WR needs to have ST skill.

Mr. Miyagi
01-05-2012, 08:11 AM
Strange but TRUE, our dog vomited on our bed as well. It must be a sign.
Funny cuz my bed vomited on my dog this morning.

OpIv37
01-05-2012, 09:09 AM
The number I have on him at the combine is 4.37. Either way, he is a track guy who can really fly. As a WR he is a deep threat, but not a real polished player. The one route he runs well is a go pattern.

The big knock on Clowney is he doesn't show enough on ST. Mike Tannenbaum specifically said when the Jets cut him they had wanted to see more out of him as a returner. For all his speed, any reserve WR needs to have ST skill.

He's not another one of those guys who has track speed, but not football speed, is he?

A few years ago, the Bills had a WR/KR named Antonio Brown (not the same one who currently plays for the Steelers). He was lightning fast in a straight line, but as soon as he tried to make a cut, his feet would go right out from under him. We don't need another guy like that.

Ickybaluky
01-05-2012, 09:37 AM
He's not another one of those guys who has track speed, but not football speed, is he?

A few years ago, the Bills had a WR/KR named Antonio Brown (not the same one who currently plays for the Steelers). He was lightning fast in a straight line, but as soon as he tried to make a cut, his feet would go right out from under him. We don't need another guy like that.

I wouldn't say that, no. He flies no matter where he is. The guy is fast.

He just isn't polished enough a guy that he can start and be relied on consistently. He is a guy you can bring off the bench who can stretch the field. Guys like that can play a role, but usually have to contribute on ST to stay. From what I have read, that has been his problem. Specifically, that was what Mike Tannenbaum said about him, his ST prowess wasn't good enough to keep him around as a reserve WR.

Bill Cody
01-05-2012, 09:59 AM
Where else in the NFL would a guy named Clowney sign than Buffalo?

justasportsfan
01-05-2012, 10:11 AM
just another guy for Fitz to throw to in the offseason.

stuckincincy
01-05-2012, 11:17 AM
Where else in the NFL would a guy named Clowney sign than Buffalo?

CIN.

Lone Stranger
01-05-2012, 11:35 AM
If the guy is any good why isn't he playing now. He's kicked around for 5 years and nobody wants him. But the Bills do.

Pathetic.

Bill Cody
01-05-2012, 11:48 AM
If the guy is any good why isn't he playing now. He's kicked around for 5 years and nobody wants him.

That's kind of harsh. He's real popular at children's birthday parties.

ServoBillieves
01-05-2012, 12:14 PM

Championship!

Might as well cancel the 2012 season and name us champions because there is no way anyone else can compete with that!

Woah woah woah there Op... Tim Anderson and James Hardy are still out there... someone signs them and POOF that dream is GONE... Slow down my friend.

ThunderGun
01-05-2012, 02:55 PM
Guys....every non-playoff team signs scrubs to "Futures Contracts" this week.

Can we stop pretending that the organization really believes Clowney is starter-material?

SABURZFAN
01-05-2012, 06:34 PM
Trade/camp fodder.

camp fodder was the first thing that came to my mind.

NOT THE DUDE...
01-05-2012, 06:59 PM
guys, its just a depth signing to camp, relax... christ...

Bills Juggernaut
01-05-2012, 07:51 PM
just another guy for Fitz to throw to in the offseason.

Did you forget to add "....over throw/under throw to in the offseason"?

Marvelous
01-06-2012, 10:27 PM

Championship!

rotf...thx MAN I NEEDED A break from my Anti-******ed WR rampaging hate fest..
--Now back to looking for Stevie threads.