• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BLeonard
    BoB Sabermetrician
    • Jan 2003

Bengals' ticket problem isn't shortage of fans, it's the owner

Thought this was an interesting read: http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/1...-its-the-owner

They gave away tickets to Sunday's finale against Baltimore -- among the most important regular-season games in franchise history -- because they couldn't sell them. Because people around here didn't want to go. The announced attendance at Paul Brown Stadium this season has hovered around 42,000, less than two-thirds capacity, but that's tickets sold, not fannies in seats. Thousands of paying customers have been staying away each week, and not to watch it on television. Every game but one has been blacked out locally, the exception being Pittsburgh's visit Nov. 13, when Steelers fans filled the place.
    I think this is relevant to the Bills because I read that a lot of people seem to think that if Bills fans refuse to buy tickets (because of them being an inferior product) that the team will move. My question is, if this is true, why are the Bengals never talked about as a possible team to move, due to lack of fan support?

It'll be interesting if things don't get turned around soon... There might be an article similar to this written about Ralph Wilson.

-Bill
  • Johnny Bugmenot
    Will not tolerate vandalism.
    • Apr 2006

Re: Bengals' ticket problem isn't shortage of fans, it's the owner

Mainly because Mike Brown is not in imminent danger of dying of old age (he's 74, but believed to be in good health, and his father died when he was 83, so genetically speaking, he probably still has about a decade left). Brown has no desire to sell the Bengals; it was a gift from his father. He threatened to move the Bengals back when he first got the team, but that was only a ploy to get a new stadium, and back then there weren't any clear-cut relocation options as there are now (maybe Baltimore). He has that new stadium now. If, for some unforeseen circumstance, Brown has some freak heart attack between now and then, you'll probably see them added to the relocation chatter. However, people know Mike Brown is a stubborn man and difficult to work with, so I don't see negotiators trying to deal with him. Even having him move his shamble of a team would be a hard sell to LA fans with him still in management.

The other issue is that Brown has relatives in the organization. There are people named Peter and Paul Brown in high management positions (don't know if they're Mike's brothers, sons, nephews, or what) that would likely be quick in line to inherit the team. So, even if Mike dies, there is probably still a succession plan in place. Not so with Ralph, whose most likely successor (daughter Linda) is already dead.

Comment

• trapezeus
      Legendary Zoner
      • Oct 2004

and that new stadium is bankrupting cincinnati. it's one of the worst deals ever. i forget the details, but it's pathetic from the last article i read on it maybe a year or two ago. i'll see if i can find that article agian.

Comment

• SABURZFAN
        short bus extraordinaire
        • Jul 2002

Brown is just as bad as The Old Fart.
        Originally posted by yordad
        Christ, you are the queerest person in the history of Bills fanhood. I swear to god I would stomp you.

Comment

• YardRat
          Well, lookie here...
          • Dec 2004

YardRat Wall of Fame
          #56 DARRYL TALLEY
          #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Johnny Bugmenot
            Will not tolerate vandalism.
            • Apr 2006

I don't see those other four counties having to cover Medicaid out of their budgets, though. I wonder how much of an investment could be made without that millstone around the neck...

Comment

• YardRat
              Well, lookie here...
              • Dec 2004

Kind of amazing that Erie Cty NY's budget is 1 billion $ more than Hamilton Cty, OH.
              YardRat Wall of Fame
              #56 DARRYL TALLEY
              #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

Working...
              X