PDA

View Full Version : Keenan Winslow

BADTHINGSMAN
07-01-2003, 01:42 AM
TE from the Miami canes. He had a very nice year for the Canes. 58grabs-726yards-12.5ypc-7TD's.. Sure he is no Shockey. With Dave Moore getting older. Is Winslow worth a 1st or 2nd round? If so would you select him? I think Winslow is a JR this year. I might be wrong. But im usually not.. :cheers:

mypoorfriendme
07-01-2003, 03:06 AM
well you are in this case, but because hes name is kellen, not keenan. but yeah, id say hes defenitly worth a first round he dominated the fiesta bowl way more than mcgahee did hate to say it. but the only problem is he'll be long gone before the bills have their pick at 32 :snicker:

The_Philster
07-01-2003, 04:48 AM
He comes from good bloodlines...considering his name is Kellen Winslow Jr.

Tatonka
07-01-2003, 07:17 AM
he is every bit as good as shockey was in college.

TedMock
07-01-2003, 08:35 AM
I think he's a better ballplayer than Shockey.

R. Rich
07-01-2003, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by TedMock

Same here. Shockey is a good player, but this guy has the potential to be much better than Shockey. Just like Portis, if he had stayed, would've had a hard time fighting off Gore and McGahee, same with Shockey. Winslow would've pushed him for playing time. The thing I like about him is that he plays well in big games. Even though Ohio State beat the 'Canes, they couldn't stop Winslow at all!

WG
07-01-2003, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by mypoorfriendme
well you are in this case, but because hes name is kellen, not keenan. but yeah, id say hes defenitly worth a first round he dominated the fiesta bowl way more than mcgahee did hate to say it. but the only problem is he'll be long gone before the bills have their pick at 32 :snicker:

LOL mpfm!!

If he's like Kellen, he won't be that great a blocker, but he'd be a stellar receiving TE, the best in fact. I still think that KW is the best receiving TE to play the game ever. Gonzalez may surpass him w/ some more seasons, but for now, I'd rank KW ahead of TG. As well, KW was behind John Jefferson and Charlie Joiner whereas K.C.'s primary receiver is TG. I'm not sure how TG would do behind Moulds/Reed, eh.

JefftheBillsfan
07-01-2003, 10:22 AM
No way Kellen slips out of the top 5 IMO. He is a better package than Shockey.

ryven
07-01-2003, 10:27 AM
anyone know the weight and height im looking but cant find anything on him

WG
07-01-2003, 11:35 AM
I gotta disagree w/ ya there JtBf.

Shockey's a better package. Don't be giving KW Jr. KW Sr.'s status quite yet.

ryven,

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/roster?teamId=2390&sort=positionId

Shockey's 6'5"/252
Winslow's 6'5"/233

Again, supportive of the notion that Winslow's utility lies solely in his ability to catch. No 233 lb. TE is gonna be a solid blocker in the NFL.

Shockey can block quite well in fact. Throw in that he caught 900 yards worth of balls as a rookie, and that's pretty impressive. I'd easily take Shockey over Winslow.

Again, it's easy to project Kellen Winslow Sr.'s career over onto Kellen Winslow Jr.'s career w/o Jr. even having taken a snap in the NFL, but it would be highly unlikely for Jr. to repeat Sr.'s career. Not saying it wouldn't happen, but it's just unlikely, that's all. Meanwhile, I dare say that Shockey posted the most yards ever for a rookie TE. IDK for sure, but it's unusual for WRs to post 1,000 as rookies and JS posted 894 as a rookie TE. That's extremely unusual and falls into the "special" category for sure.

BTW, ryven, where did you get that user name?

Sounds like something Professor Frink would say! LOL

Glaven!

JefftheBillsfan
07-01-2003, 11:40 AM
Maybe Im wrong, Ive only seen him play every now and then, but he may not be a great blocker, but neither is Shockey. From just a couple games, I thought Winslow was superior in that aspect of the game.

TigerJ
07-01-2003, 11:41 AM
At 233 he's pretty light to be sure. But with a 6'5" frame he should be able to carry more weight. If Miami wants to help him out as far as pro potential, they ought to be encouraging him to add some solid muscle, as well as stressing blocking technique. There's no reason he couldn't be 245 by the draft next year, and eventually play at 260. If he does it right, that won't take away from his speed and athleticism as a receiver.

WG
07-01-2003, 11:56 AM
Well, Kellen Winslow Sr. wasn't a good blocker either. S.D. was my favorite AFC team back then and I followed them bigtime. KW was pretty much strictly a receiving TE. As such, to date, he was the best receiving TE to ever have played the game. But a blocker he was not.

Shockey isn't the best blocker, but he blocked well for the most part this year on the Giants when called upon to do so.

Either way, when you look at KW Sr., and then consider KW Jr's weight, 233, even if he gains 15 lbs., he's still not in the mode of a blocking TE at 6'5"/248. Dave Moore is an excellent blocking TE and he's 6'2"/250. Much stockier, lower.

KW Jr. will have to fit into the right system. We need a blocking TE, not a receiving one. Besides, we're gonna have other pressing needs. We'll need to finally find a DE worth a turd, even if Irons or another fills the current role. Some depth there would be nice for a change. As well, we'll have to start considering replacements for Adams and Williams. I can also see us drafting a LB, OL, or S too. But we can't afford to take guys like KW Jr. regardless of how good a receiving TE he'll be.

R. Rich
07-01-2003, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by Wys Guy
Well, Kellen Winslow Sr. wasn't a good blocker either. S.D. was my favorite AFC team back then and I followed them bigtime. KW was pretty much strictly a receiving TE. As such, to date, he was the best receiving TE to ever have played the game. But a blocker he was not.

Shockey isn't the best blocker, but he blocked well for the most part this year on the Giants when called upon to do so.

Either way, when you look at KW Sr., and then consider KW Jr's weight, 233, even if he gains 15 lbs., he's still not in the mode of a blocking TE at 6'5"/248. Dave Moore is an excellent blocking TE and he's 6'2"/250. Much stockier, lower.

KW Jr. will have to fit into the right system. We need a blocking TE, not a receiving one. Besides, we're gonna have other pressing needs. We'll need to finally find a DE worth a turd, even if Irons or another fills the current role. Some depth there would be nice for a change. As well, we'll have to start considering replacements for Adams and Williams. I can also see us drafting a LB, OL, or S too. But we can't afford to take guys like KW Jr. regardless of how good a receiving TE he'll be.

Before we speculate on what he can and can't do as a pro, maybe we should let him continue to develop as a college player? Just a thought.

WG
07-01-2003, 12:35 PM
Good idea...

LOL

All I'm saying is that w/ so many other pressing needs, a receiving TE who doesn't even fit our system should be our last concern!

This risk of taking McG over a much needed plug-n-play ready Joseph at DT is enough huge risks for our #1 draft picks. I'm ready for a solid draft that makes more sense. Not another that speculates on injured players in positions we don't need, players who already even before entering the NFL have a prolonged injury history w/ only one season of solid performance and then only v. sketchy teams.

SoCalBillsFan
07-01-2003, 01:40 PM
Shockey is pretty rediculously good, it's way to early to say Winslow can be that good. I'd love to get winslow though. Hopefully he'l still be there at the final pick of round 1 :D

ryven
07-01-2003, 02:06 PM
I was trying to play online games but I had to find a unique name so this came into thought some how and boom I use it with most of my online activity

eyedog
07-01-2003, 03:13 PM
Winslow is in his junior season this upcoming fall. He will probably come out in the 2004 draft. We will have no shot at drafting him, unless our pick is somewhere in the top -10, and nobody wants that. He will be an excellent pro player who will continue to fill out and become a better blocker. He will be a big time weapon for some team and will be in the pro bowl before long imo.

mypoorfriendme
07-01-2003, 04:09 PM
for next years draft, within the next couple years we are going to need to address some needs for the future, especially at DT and QB so by the time adams, PW, and drew retire, there will be someone in ready to fill in their place. this is why i think we should have picked up rien long in this draft instead of mcgee because we coud give him a couple years to get back to full health and grow as a player. maybe a safety next year if PP or izell dont work out. but at DE, LB, CB, RB we have plenty of youth. im going to stop talking now, i dont know what im saying

Demon
07-01-2003, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by TedMock

I totally agree. It's hard to say which player will have more TD's or whatever, Shockey is very awsome for short yardage while Winslow is a game breaker. I would definetly compare him to a Tony Gonzalez in the NFL. Shockey is very good, and maybe he will average more TD's per season then Winslow but in the open field i'd reather have Winslow who can make the 40 yard gain and let short passes to a FB or have McGahee or Henry run in the touchdown.

With next years draft having several really solid Defensive Lineman/QB's and WR's, Winslow will most likey be taken in the 15-20 range.

I could defintly see Winslow in Buffalo next year though!

Dozerdog
07-01-2003, 08:43 PM
Hopefully he doesn't have Shockey's 10 cent head

R. Rich
07-01-2003, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by Demon

With next years draft having several really solid Defensive Lineman/QB's and WR's, Winslow will most likey be taken in the 15-20 range.

Yeah, but if we're picking 32nd next year.......

Demon
07-01-2003, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by R. Rich

Yeah, but if we're picking 32nd next year.......

We could always move up. hehe

ryven
07-02-2003, 11:25 AM
If winslow could add 20 pounds I think he would do great in the nfl.

marshall
07-02-2003, 12:41 PM
He is definately worthy or a 1st round pick. Not every 1nce in awhile does a great athletic TE come out of college. I think he has the potential to be better than his dad. I wish him the best in chicago :D

BADTHINGSMAN
07-02-2003, 03:04 PM
Hey remember the Bills have Tom Donahoe.. Dont count anything out with him behind the wheel..

MDFINFAN
07-02-2003, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by SoCalBillsFan
Shockey is pretty rediculously good, it's way to early to say Winslow can be that good. I'd love to get winslow though. Hopefully he'l still be there at the final pick of round 1 :D

Shockey is an extremely confident player, which is why he's so good, Winslow is just as good, he'll be a senior this year and if you'd watch the canes last year, u would have seen Winlow making the same dominate catches, shockley made before him..Most players don't come out with the attitude Shockey had and don't do as well, but I think winslow will be in that same mode. He learned from a great 1st rounder, so it probably more than a hush, that he will try to exceed him.

mypoorfriendme
07-02-2003, 04:44 PM
hopefully hell suffer from a career threatening injury, or for some reason he just quits playing football all together. that way hell be available for us whenever it is we pick, AND tonahoe will love him