• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BLeonard
    BoB Sabermetrician
    • Jan 2003

Ticats hire Bills QB Coach Cortez as Head Coach

The 60-year-old Cortez joins the Ticats with an extensive CFL coaching resume that included working as the offensive co-ordinator and assistant head coach with the Calgary Stampeders from 2007 to 2009. Over that span, he worked closely with Burris, the former Stampeders' quarterback who Hamilton acquired last week.
    So, the Bills look to be in the market for a QB Coach... Pending on what happens in Indy, Frank Reich might be available.

-Bill
  • better days
    • Jan 2010

Re: Ticats hire Bills QB Coach Cortez as Head Coach

Originally posted by BLeonard
    http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=384486

So, the Bills look to be in the market for a QB Coach... Pending on what happens in Indy, Frank Reich might be available.

-Bill
    Reich was a great back up QB in Buffalo, but he sure did not do much to coach up the Colts QBs this past year.

Comment

• YardRat
      Well, lookie here...
      • Dec 2004

I'd consider bringing AVP back into the fold. He and Fitz seem to have similar personalities.
      YardRat Wall of Fame
      #56 DARRYL TALLEY
      #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• The Jokeman
        • Dec 2003

Originally posted by YardRat
        I'd consider bringing AVP back into the fold. He and Fitz seem to have similar personalities.
        and lord knows AVP has made Joshua Freeman the QB the Bucs have wanted to lead the franchise. Just say no to former Bills unless they have a proven track record as average to better than average coaches.

Comment

• BLeonard
          BoB Sabermetrician
          • Jan 2003

Originally posted by better days
          Reich was a great back up QB in Buffalo, but he sure did not do much to coach up the Colts QBs this past year.
          That's because, for whatever reason, Reich was not the QB coach in Indy... He was the WR's coach.

I don't think you're gonna be able to "coach" Fitz's accuracy, per se... But, Reich could be an asset in helping Fitz with decision making.

-Bill

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by better days
            What could he have done with those bums?

Comment

• Mahdi
              • Mar 2004

Originally posted by BLeonard
              http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=384486

-Bill
              Throwing INTs counts for 3 points in Canada.

Comment

• ticatfan
                The Meathead of Muslims!
                • Jul 2002

Great news for the cats. He said all along he was going to go to the NFL to work his way back up to the CFL.
                Political correctness ( or cancel culture as it is called today) is a doctrine fostered by a delusional ,illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by MSM which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
                Harry S Truman 1941.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                  • Jul 2002

Sad to see him go.
                  sacrifice1
                  https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• ghz in pittsburgh
                    • Aug 2004

This is from Canada:

................................................................................
                    Based on his previous conduct, Cortez won’t be a touchy-feely coach as is the direction that some CFL teams have gone in their head coaching hires the past two years. He reportedly keeps his distance but that’s OK, too: the past four Grey Cups have been won by three men — John Hufnagel, Marc Trestman (twice) and Wally Buono — who don’t tuck their players in at night.

One criticism in Ticat Nation may be that, at five dozen years of age, Cortez is of a completely different generation and mindset than the people who will wear the uniform. But that’s only as relevant as the coach makes, or lets, it be. His job in Buffalo was to work with a 29-year-old quarterback and that pivot was very effective, and sometimes brilliant, until an unpublicized injury reduced his effectiveness in the latter half of the season. And we will state again: Henry Burris will be completely behind Cortez’s hire. Unless, and until, there are any larger issues that’ll be good enough for his new teammates.

There is no finite proof that George Cortez is a good head coach, because this is his first shot at it. But many teams in this league have sought his services in that capacity, at least two of them this year. And some of the biggest football brains in this country, Buono and Hufnagel among them, are solidly in support of him as a head coach.

Clearly, Cortez won’t make the $400,000 he collected in Buffalo, but it probably isn’t that far off. And he gets control of the entire roster, which jumps to 56 next season with the practice roster increased by three players. The situation is close to Hufnagel’s in Calgary but Hufnagel makes more and doesn’t have a guy in football ops of Obie’s status.
                    ...............................................................................

I don't know how creditable is the assertion of unpublicized injury that I highlighted. I think all of the NFL starting QBs' health was creafully monitored by media. Some may point to London Fletcher's hit on Fitz in that Toronto game. But I will contend that I criticised Fitz's arm strength the game before - the Giants' game -- that actually cost us.

Comment

• PromoTheRobot
                      • Sep 2003

Originally posted by ghz in pittsburgh
                      I don't know how creditable is the assertion of unpublicized injury that I highlighted. I think all of the NFL starting QBs' health was creafully monitored by media. Some may point to London Fletcher's hit on Fitz in that Toronto game. But I will contend that I criticised Fitz's arm strength the game before - the Giants' game -- that actually cost us.
                      Fitz never had a cannon arm but it was pretty obvious to me he was having trouble throwing after that game. But I thought NFL teams were obligated to report injuries? Gotta keep the bookies informed.

PTR
                      10 Commandments of the D
                      1. Never stop Rocking.
                      2. Legalize all drugs.
                      3. Quit your day job.
                      4. All Religion should be taxed.
                      5. Cut down on carbohydrates.
                      6. F**k her gently.
                      7. Never believe what people tell you after a show.
                      8. Always take a spoon full of Metamucil after a heavy day of eating.
                      9. Get at least 9 hours of sleep a day.
                      10. Eatin' ain't cheatin'.

Comment

Working...
                      X