PDA

View Full Version : This MSG situation is ENRAGING

THATHURMANATOR
01-08-2012, 01:40 PM
I am completely stuck since Fios is not available and Trees are blocking Direct TV signals

I am more pissed at MSG. They already ****ed Dish Network subscribers and now Time Warner.

I hope to God the Sabres cut ties with these *******s after their contract is up if not sooner....

:thurm2:

TheGhostofJimKelly
01-09-2012, 05:30 AM
I heard that Comcast owns MSG, which means they are in absolutely no hurry to get a deal done with one of their competitors in TW. I think this is going to last a bit. Add that to the fact that they raised the price 56%.

DMBcrew36
01-09-2012, 05:57 AM
I've been watching online. I went to my parents for the game Saturday night because they have directv. There's a bar on Delaware near my house I might have to visit Tuesday to watch.

THATHURMANATOR
01-09-2012, 08:51 AM
The online feeds suck balls. I want them on my nice flatscreen.

OpIv37
01-09-2012, 08:59 AM
The online feeds suck balls. I want them on my nice flatscreen.

again, welcome to my world.

Cleve
01-09-2012, 10:12 AM
I'm sick of hearing 53%.

First, we don't know that it's an accurate number - but even if it's true maybe that's phased over 5 or 6 years of built in price automatic price increases per year?

Second, In other words, HOW MUCH EXTRA in dollars will it cost TW per subscriber per month???

This info has never been revealed.

Just to keep in perspective, Dish Network's Choice package for $60 a month offers the HD with DVR and MSG. My TW was over $100 a month and no longer offers MSG.

If TW is paying MSG $0.50 per subscriber, and MSG asks for $0.75, that's a FIFTY PERCENT INCREASE - but it's only $0.25 per customer. Hardly enough to break the bank.

TW should be providing MORE information.

trapezeus
01-09-2012, 10:47 AM
two things.

1. msg kind comes off as human for taking these games off tv, no?
2. if you own apple tv, you have the NHL app for your flatscreen. So all you have to do is get the nhl subscription for $20a month and watch the game that way. I am aware of blackout rules, but you could just register with your zipcode in a different town and pay your buddy to make the payment and be the address. that way, your blackout zone wouldn't be the buffalo games.

just a thought to get around it thurm.

THATHURMANATOR
01-09-2012, 11:47 AM
two things.

1. msg kind comes off as human for taking these games off tv, no?
2. if you own apple tv, you have the NHL app for your flatscreen. So all you have to do is get the nhl subscription for $20a month and watch the game that way. I am aware of blackout rules, but you could just register with your zipcode in a different town and pay your buddy to make the payment and be the address. that way, your blackout zone wouldn't be the buffalo games.

just a thought to get around it thurm.
All good thoughts. I will think about this if it drags out.

I don't have apple TV though.

OpIv37
01-09-2012, 11:49 AM
All good thoughts. I will think about this if it drags out.

I don't have apple TV though.

The app is also available for PS3 and if you have a laptop with an HDMI out, you can stream through that to your flat screen as well.

And Apple TV is only $99 anyway, so it's not like it's a huge investment.

Mski
01-09-2012, 11:52 AM
you can get the NHL ap for any of the smart tv's... i know it came pre loaded on my samsung... and i dont think the sabres games are subject to blackouts in buffalo, I think their rules are more similar to MLB, where competing markets games are blacked out, kinda like why you cant get cleveland indian home games in buffalo, even with the MLB package, because we're considered the local market for the Yankees and Mets

Cleve
01-09-2012, 12:39 PM
Here's the rule from NHL GameCenter LIVE FAQ

Can I watch my local team play? Can I watch nationally televised games?

Due to local blackout rules and regulations, games broadcasts that are available to watch on television in your local market and nationally televised games are not available to watch live or within 48 hours of game completion in NHL GameCenter LIVE™ (see below for other blackout scenarios).

Under this scenario can we watch Sabres games on the NHL service? Not sure if DirectTV qualifies as 'television in your local market'.

Does anyone HAVE this service? Can they confirm yes or no? My Direct TV install went belly up due to trees. Why do they put the satellites in such a low angle of orbit (30 degrees)? If the satellites were at 50 degrees azimuth, then there would be many more customers that could watch the damn things.

DMBcrew36
01-09-2012, 01:48 PM
Here's the rule from NHL GameCenter LIVE FAQ

Can I watch my local team play? Can I watch nationally televised games?

Due to local blackout rules and regulations, games broadcasts that are available to watch on television in your local market and nationally televised games are not available to watch live or within 48 hours of game completion in NHL GameCenter LIVE™ (see below for other blackout scenarios).

Under this scenario can we watch Sabres games on the NHL service? Not sure if DirectTV qualifies as 'television in your local market'.

Does anyone HAVE this service? Can they confirm yes or no? My Direct TV install went belly up due to trees. Why do they put the satellites in such a low angle of orbit (30 degrees)? If the satellites were at 50 degrees azimuth, then there would be many more customers that could watch the damn things.

I have Time Warner and Center Ice Package... and no, I don't get the Sabres. Center Ice Package treats me as though I have MSG.

PTI
01-09-2012, 01:53 PM
I have Time Warner and Center Ice Package... and no, I don't get the Sabres. Center Ice Package treats me as though I have MSG.

And it blocks the Sabres opponent games feed too typically I imagine.

trapezeus
01-09-2012, 02:14 PM

one thing that is confusing is that center ice is the package you get from the cable network that is on your TV.

There is NHL gamecenter which is for your computer. when you subscribe (same fee as center ice), you are given a username and login. When you log in, you have choice to which broadcast (home or away) that you want to hear. the feed is HD i believe. or at least it is when it streams HD sometimes it goes to a lower quality. Gamecenter also automatically records the last weeks worth of games so if you miss tonights game, you can start it from scratch to watch later

So with NHL gamecenter, you have the flexibility to watch on your laptop, sync up to your TV, watch on ipad, whatever. Center ice is just to your cable box.

So you may want to cancel centerice andget NHL game center. and for those with old computers etc, apple tv has an HDMI output and costs $99. it's wifi, so you don't need to plug in the internet to get it to work. then it will be on your TV when you are home. it works really well.

Since i don't live in buffalo, i'm not really aware of the blackout rules. i also don't have the nhl subscription. it's my friends and we watch at my place when he comes over.

PTI
01-09-2012, 02:44 PM
one thing that is confusing is that center ice is the package you get from the cable network that is on your TV.

There is NHL gamecenter which is for your computer. when you subscribe (same fee as center ice), you are given a username and login. When you log in, you have choice to which broadcast (home or away) that you want to hear. the feed is HD i believe. or at least it is when it streams HD sometimes it goes to a lower quality. Gamecenter also automatically records the last weeks worth of games so if you miss tonights game, you can start it from scratch to watch later

So with NHL gamecenter, you have the flexibility to watch on your laptop, sync up to your TV, watch on ipad, whatever. Center ice is just to your cable box.

So you may want to cancel centerice andget NHL game center. and for those with old computers etc, apple tv has an HDMI output and costs $99. it's wifi, so you don't need to plug in the internet to get it to work. then it will be on your TV when you are home. it works really well.

Since i don't live in buffalo, i'm not really aware of the blackout rules. i also don't have the nhl subscription. it's my friends and we watch at my place when he comes over.

Same with NFL Sunday package, while in Buffalo for Christmas I logged into my direcTV account on my laptop and we watched the blackout out Bills game against Broncos on the big screen.

DMBcrew36
01-09-2012, 03:18 PM

Yea my smart tv has an NHL Game Center app - so all I would have to do is open the app and select the game. But I didnt know that before I ordered through Time Warner. I think I already paid in full so it is what it is til next season.

trapezeus
01-09-2012, 04:08 PM
Yea my smart tv has an NHL Game Center app - so all I would have to do is open the app and select the game. But I didnt know that before I ordered through Time Warner. I think I already paid in full so it is what it is til next season.

exactly. i was going to buy this year and i was taken aback that they don't make the distinction between the two more clear.

I eventually didn't do it because i figured i'd save the money until the bills season was over and assess the sabres then since they didn't hvae a discount for signing for full season. and the internet provides you a lot more flexibility in terms of where you see it (like PTI said).

There is just such a glaring need for cable and tv distribution to change it's model. it's absurd that cable bills just go up year after year, but the overall service declines. i paid $80 when i first moved to nyc for internet and cable with movie channels. it's now $130 a month. and it's for only 1 tv.

I wish apple tv or roku or someone would bundle channels on a pay as you go basis and just cut cable out. let's just get great internet service and stream everything we need when we want it without it being overly absurd in pricing.

Mski
01-09-2012, 04:14 PM
exactly. i was going to buy this year and i was taken aback that they don't make the distinction between the two more clear.

I eventually didn't do it because i figured i'd save the money until the bills season was over and assess the sabres then since they didn't hvae a discount for signing for full season. and the internet provides you a lot more flexibility in terms of where you see it (like PTI said).

There is just such a glaring need for cable and tv distribution to change it's model. it's absurd that cable bills just go up year after year, but the overall service declines. i paid $80 when i first moved to nyc for internet and cable with movie channels. it's now $130 a month. and it's for only 1 tv.

I wish apple tv or roku or someone would bundle channels on a pay as you go basis and just cut cable out. let's just get great internet service and stream everything we need when we want it without it being overly absurd in pricing.on top of that, some cable providers work out deals with municipalities to ensure that competitor's cant operate within them... ie FiOs TV service cannot be offered within the city limits of Buffalo, because of a deal the city has with time warner

trapezeus
01-09-2012, 04:20 PM
on top of that, some cable providers work out deals with municipalities to ensure that competitor's cant operate within them... ie FiOs TV service cannot be offered within the city limits of Buffalo, because of a deal the city has with time warner

i know. stupid TW has a monopoly in NYC. there is RCN but they are so bad it's not an option. and with the tall buildings and idiotic co-op rules, satellite is available to a select few. Fios is slowly rolling out but again co-ops are making it hard to get it around. so i'm stuck with tw. but when i go to my parents place, i love using the fios for internet and tv. it's light years better than TW.

it all comes down to just churning profit for TW. they couldn't care less of the service they provide. they are impossible to get on the phone to fix a problem, routinely show up late on service calls. three years ago i kept telling them fox hd was having problems. and they denied it for months and just gave me some money off here and there. but i kept with it and eventually when i got someone more senior than a home visit guy, he was like, "we've known this issue has been going on for almost 2 years but no one really complains about it." i get so riled up with TW and their ads about how they care about their customers.

Mski
01-09-2012, 04:28 PM
as far as FiOs, some of that comes down to infastructure... there needs to be the fiber optics run to each unit, and that has to be done at the owners cost, which is probably why most co-op and apartment complexes dont want to get it. as for locally, the infastructure is already in place throughout the city, and FiOs internet is available, but they're not allowed to offer TV

Cleve
01-10-2012, 07:48 PM
Well, NHL Game Center does NOT carry the Sabres games - I just subscribed and it's blacked out. So screw that - I already e-mailed in a cancellation for my subscription - fortunately NHL allows anyone cancelling within 5 days of enrolling to get a full refund.

It's unbelievable that you can't pay the NHL directly to watch the damn game.

DMBcrew36
01-11-2012, 06:27 AM
Well, NHL Game Center does NOT carry the Sabres games - I just subscribed and it's blacked out. So screw that - I already e-mailed in a cancellation for my subscription - fortunately NHL allows anyone cancelling within 5 days of enrolling to get a full refund.

It's unbelievable that you can't pay the NHL directly to watch the damn game.

If you used a proxy to have an IP from somewhere else (to make gamecenter think you're out of market), then it wouldn't be blacked out on gamecenter.

don137
01-11-2012, 06:46 AM
You didn't miss much in last night's game. The same soft play, the same inability to cash in on scoring opportunities and the same mistakes by the same players. Unless your name is Myers, McNabb, Vanek or Pominville I could care less if they traded any of them. The sooner players like Stafford, Boyes, etc are off this team the better. This soft play and lack of passion and heart appears contagious.
It seems like injuries were their excuse for sucking and not to play inspired hockey.

Cleve
01-11-2012, 10:28 AM
Lindy Ruff = Mr. Soft. Why is his job not on the line with this continued slide towards the bottom of the league in points?

Mski
01-11-2012, 03:16 PM
just read a tweet from @lindyruffstie that thanks to the MSG v TWC debacle Buffalo no longer has the highest US market television ratings in the NHL

Cleve
01-11-2012, 04:44 PM
I think it's ridiculous that I cannot BUY the ability to watch these games thru NHL. The games are NOT broadcast in this area - the only ability to watch them is via satellite service - and hundreds of thousands of people cannot access the satellite service. Why would the NHL make such a ridiculous agreement?? - they're losing millions in revenue from potential Game Center subscribers right now because of this.

DMBcrew36
01-12-2012, 05:44 AM
I think it's ridiculous that I cannot BUY the ability to watch these games thru NHL. The games are NOT broadcast in this area - the only ability to watch them is via satellite service - and hundreds of thousands of people cannot access the satellite service. Why would the NHL make such a ridiculous agreement?? - they're losing millions in revenue from potential Game Center subscribers right now because of this.

It is ridiculous. But if you really wanted to watch - you could use a proxy to make Gamecenter think you're out of market (thus allowing you to view the feeds). It's pretty easy. Though, I know you cancelled already.

I agree that you shouldn't have to, though - if you pay you should get all the games. I'm in the same boat - I am paying for Center Ice and yet find myself watching online or going to my parents to watch games (which is comforted slightly by the fact that my dad just got a kegerator with Southern Tier IPA on tap).

Mski
01-12-2012, 10:32 AM
my dad just got a kegerator with Southern Tier IPA on tap).zone sabres viewing parties now being held at DMBcrew36's fathers house:up:

trapezeus
01-12-2012, 12:07 PM
ip proxy, eh? that stinks that it isn't based off zipcode, or i'd strike a deal with anyone here to use my mailing address in nyc. you'll lose a couple islander games and a couple ranger games.

Cleve
01-12-2012, 12:25 PM
zone sabres viewing parties now being held at DMBcrew36's fathers house:up:

Does DMBcrew know this yet? LOL

Mski
01-12-2012, 12:26 PM
well he shouldnt have told us about the kegerator, his fault!

Cleve
01-12-2012, 12:29 PM
I love kegerators. One of my good pal's had one in his house - an old 'roundie' with a tap in the front door. First thing I'd do when I visited him back in the late 80s was go to the utility room and pour myself a cold one. Used to visit him a lot.

Funny thing is, now he's a recovering alcoholic, and has been for 19 years. Just a coincidence I'm sure, that he owned that fridge and ended up an alcoholic. LOL

DrGraves
01-13-2012, 09:12 AM
Look I enjoy going to the bar and watching the game as much as the next guy but this sucks. I love being able to just stay home in the man cave and watch the game. **** you time warner cable. Give me my happiness back.

Michael82
01-17-2012, 12:13 AM
We should thank MSG for taking this **** off the air! The Sabres are so bad, it's depressing. :ill:

Cleve
01-20-2012, 08:19 AM
Ok, call me a glutton for punishment - but where are some good public venues (bars, restaurants, etc) to go watch the Sabres games?

I got an e-mail from MSG advertising viewing parties for the Blues game at Dwyer's Irish Pub and the Pearl Street Grill on Saturday. Thoughts?

OpIv37
01-20-2012, 08:40 AM
I watched a game at Pearl St a few years ago when I was in town to watch the Bills.

The early crowd is mostly a Sabres crowd. They didn't have the sound on, but they had lots of TV's and most people were watching the game and cheering.

I was there on a Friday, so as the night went on, the crowd was transitioning from a Sabres crowd to more of a night life crowd, but by that time the game was ending anyway.

It was a decent place to watch a game, but you'll probably want to get there pretty early if you want a seat. There's lots of standing room and tables without chairs.

Mski
01-20-2012, 09:49 AM
Ok, call me a glutton for punishment - but where are some good public venues (bars, restaurants, etc) to go watch the Sabres games?

I got an e-mail from MSG advertising viewing parties for the Blues game at Dwyer's Irish Pub and the Pearl Street Grill on Saturday. Thoughts?pearl st is good, if you want to go downtown... just go to the basement... they should have the audio on. other great bars that have it - Buffalo Brew Pub, Ebeneezers Ale House, Amherst Ale House, Gordon Biersch(no audio), Jack Astors, Tullys

Philagape
01-20-2012, 10:23 AM
We should thank MSG for taking this **** off the air! The Sabres are so bad, it's depressing. :ill:

The test pattern has more life than the Sabres.

Michael82
01-20-2012, 05:01 PM
The test pattern has more life than the Sabres.
What test pattern? I got NBA TV on the channel that MSG used to be on.

Mski
01-24-2012, 09:09 AM
What test pattern? I got NBA TV on the channel that MSG used to be on.:puke: thats worse then just deleting the channel

Michael82
01-24-2012, 12:44 PM
:puke: thats worse then just deleting the channel
Agreed! I was hoping it would be NHL Network or something.

PTI
01-24-2012, 12:57 PM
Any bar hurting because of no MSG is no real sports bar anyway, if you are a real sports bar you must have direct TV. Trying to save a few bucks, and not having the ability to show any NFL game is no bar I really want to go to watch games at.

THATHURMANATOR
01-24-2012, 01:40 PM
Any bar hurting because of no MSG is no real sports bar anyway, if you are a real sports bar you must have direct TV. Trying to save a few bucks, and not having the ability to show any NFL game is no bar I really want to go to watch games at.
Don't necessariy agree.

In Buffalo people want to see bills games. We don't care about having all the other games on TV.

Why pay all that extra money?

:thurm2: