• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BLeonard
    BoB Sabermetrician
    • Jan 2003

Jeff Fisher to coach Rams

Indirectly Bills related, as this means he obviously won't be coaching the Dolphins: http://content.usatoday.com/communit...t-louis-rams/1

Jeff Fisher, said Fox NFL reporter Jay Glazer Sunday, will be hired to coach the St. Louis Rams. And the former Tennessee Titans coach, said Glazer, will be named in the next 24-48 hours.

That came after NBC's Peter King Saturday said if Fisher "wants to make the most money, he'll go to Miami because Miami owner Stephen Ross will outbid the Rams."
    ESPN mentioned earlier today that Fisher is meeting with Sam Bradford and also touring the Rams' training facilities: http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/74...ay-source-says

Putting 1 and 1 together, I have to assume that this means that the Rams will not be targeting a QB in the draft. Wonder if they'll target someone else at #2 or look to trade out of the spot and get more picks.

-Bill
  • Luisito23
    Men Have Superbowl Gold, Legends Have Platinum Hearts!!!
    • Apr 2003

Re: Jeff Fisher to coach Rams

fish
    "Expect rejection, but expect more to overcome it."
    ***Marv Levy.***

"Coach Levy is one of the most inspirational people that I have ever known."
    ***Thurman Thomas.***

"You're not going to find a more classier, down-to-Earth person away from the field than Marv Levy. He's a guy who's pretty much made me what I am today as far as a professional player and a person."
    ***Jim Kelly***

Marv Levy's Website

Comment

• BLeonard
      BoB Sabermetrician
      • Jan 2003

Interesting note here, too: http://stlouis.sbnation.com/st-louis...012-head-coach

It appears that the only possible hangup between the St. Louis Rams hiring Jeff Fisher to be their new head coach is the team's possible move to Los Angeles in the near future, according to Jim Thomas of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. The Rams have long been rumored as a potential option for the city of Los Angeles, which has gone years without an NFL team despite being one of the largest markets in the United States.
      The way that reads is, Fisher doesn't want to coach the Rams, if they end up moving to LA... Odd twist, as I figured LA would be more attractive to a Head Coach than St. Louis.

-Bill

Comment

• !Papacrunk!
        • Mar 2004

I'll support him if hired, but no thanks to having only four winning seasons in his tenure with the Oilers/Titans.

I'm a bit intrigued with either Cincinnatti's o or d coordinator myself.

Just no to Mularkey, even before this game. An 1 win season was bad, but that hire would challenge my fandom.
        Last edited by !Papacrunk!; 01-08-2012, 03:44 PM.

Comment

• Buddo
          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by BLeonard
          Interesting note here, too: http://stlouis.sbnation.com/st-louis...012-head-coach

The way that reads is, Fisher doesn't want to coach the Rams, if they end up moving to LA... Odd twist, as I figured LA would be more attractive to a Head Coach than St. Louis.

-Bill
          Was Fisher the HC when the Oilers left for Tennessee? If so, I can see why that would be a reason. Just checked, and he was, so I can understand why he wouldn't be prepared to go through that sort of crap again.

Comment

• BLeonard
            BoB Sabermetrician
            • Jan 2003

Originally posted by Buddo
            Was Fisher the HC when the Oilers left for Tennessee? If so, I can see why that would be a reason. Just checked, and he was, so I can understand why he wouldn't be prepared to go through that sort of crap again.
            Very good point, that didn't occur to me, but yes, he was the coach when the Oilers left Houston, as you said.

-Bill

Comment

• BLeonard
              BoB Sabermetrician
              • Jan 2003

This is more what I initially thought was the "hangup"...

It’s hard to tell whether Thomas is reporting that Fisher actually is concerned that the team will move to L.A., or that the issue has emerged, or could emerge, as a sticking point in negotiations. At the end of the day, it could be that Fisher simply wants his pay to be adjusted if at some point he’ll be coaching not in St. Louis but in a much larger, and thus more challenging and intense, media market.

If that’s what happens, it would be fitting. For any team that moves to L.A., plenty of palms will be extended. Why shouldn’t the head coach have a clause in his contract that pays him more money to account for the fundamental differences between the two cities?
              -Bill

Comment

• DynaPaul
                • Sep 2003

I hope he coaches the Rams, we don't need another tough coach to deal with in the AFC East.

Comment

• Mike13
                  • Aug 2005

Honestly I would rather have Tom Clements or Jay Gruden.

Originally posted by Luisito23
                  fish
                  And yet we're still better than Buffalo.

Comment

• SaviorEdwards
                    • Feb 2010

LOL MIAMI SUCKS!!!!!!
                    "The best things to happen to Michigan Football have come from Ohio." - Chris Spielman

Comment

• Mike13
                      • Aug 2005

Originally posted by SaviorEdwards
                      LOL MIAMI SUCKS!!!!!!
                      and what does that make Buffalo?

Comment

• imbondz
                        Democrats are people too
                        • Jan 2003

The Rams are my 2nd favorite team. I live in Nashville, the Titans were ******ed to get rid of Fisher.
                        My faith doesn’t make me perfect, it makes me forgiven.

Comment

• TheGhostofJimKelly
                          • May 2003

I am so jealous of the other organizations in the NFL, at least they try to win.

Comment

• Night Train
                            Retired - On Several Levels
                            • Jul 2005

Good God, if we can commit to freakin' Fitz, why would the Rams ever give up on Bradford this soon ??? Fisher SHOULD go there and he'll make good $$.

Dome + good QB + a roster full of good young players from the last couple of drafts... He's got something to work with there.
                            Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• Johnny Bugmenot
                              Will not tolerate vandalism.
                              • Apr 2006

I thought the Rams-to-LA talk was dead after Kroenke bought the team.

Comment

Working...
                              X