PDA

View Full Version : Nix wants Stevie back

X-Era
01-09-2012, 10:06 AM
He's defending him right now.

:clap:

BillsWin
01-09-2012, 10:10 AM
I wish we could draft Blackmon and keep Stevie.

That would excite me.

X-Era
01-09-2012, 10:11 AM
I wish we could draft Blackmon and keep Stevie.

That would excite me.I would love it.

zone
01-09-2012, 10:12 AM
Talks have re-opened with Stevie

Bills GM Buddy Nix in his Monday press conference said dialogue with Stevie Johnson on a new contract has re-opened.

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2012/01/09/talks-have-re-opened-with-stevie/

Buddo
01-09-2012, 10:12 AM
He's also said that he will get another deal done for Fred, but the time frame is before next season, as Fred is still under contract. He's going to meet Fred again before he finishes up, to reassure him about that.

Michael82
01-09-2012, 10:15 AM
Good to hear! I want him back too! :bf1:

Ed
01-09-2012, 10:21 AM
This is good news as long as they don't try to low ball him and then say he didn't want to be here.

Buddo
01-09-2012, 10:23 AM
They will try an re-sign Bell, but by the sounds of it, at not big money.

Will consider drafting a Tackle.

Buddo
01-09-2012, 10:24 AM
This is good news as long as they don't try to low ball him and then say he didn't want to be here.

Nix was pretty good about wanting Stevie back tbh. He actually defended him to a degree.

X-Era
01-09-2012, 10:28 AM
I think it's likely Stevie will be back.

He makes a great point. It's not like Stevie is a criminal. Just dumb antics.

Mr. Miyagi
01-09-2012, 10:33 AM
He's also said that he will get another deal done for Fred, but the time frame is before next season, as Fred is still under contract. He's going to meet Fred again before he finishes up, to reassure him about that.
:bf1: Lock down the core guys!

Ed
01-09-2012, 10:36 AM
Nix was pretty good about wanting Stevie back tbh. He actually defended him to a degree.
I don't doubt that Nix wants him back and I believe Stevie wants to be back too. So it shouldn't be that hard to get something done. It just sounded like from previous negotiations that Stevie was asking for very reasonable money and the Bills counter offers were well below market value. I'm optimistic that it will all work out though.

OpIv37
01-09-2012, 10:38 AM
Maintain the status quo.

Step 1: Give Fitz a huge contract- done
Step 2: Re-sign Pears- done
Step 3: Re-sign Stevie- in progress.

Ahhh, the basement. It might be dark, but at least it's cool and comfortable for most of the year. Why disrupt things?

X-Era
01-09-2012, 10:40 AM
Maintain the status quo.

Step 1: Give Fitz a huge contract- done
Step 2: Re-sign Pears- done
Step 3: Re-sign Stevie- in progress.

Ahhh, the basement. It might be dark, but at least it's cool and comfortable for most of the year. Why disrupt things?Dude, I'm not getting that at all from him:

Wants to add another bigtime WR
Wants to add a serious pass rusher

and both could come from FA.

Mr. Miyagi
01-09-2012, 11:20 AM
Dude, I'm not getting that at all from him:

Wants to add another bigtime WR
Wants to add a serious pass rusher

and both could come from FA.
Shhhhh, don't tell Op that. He's happy with taking things out of context to fit his cynical view. That's how we love him. A happy go lucky Op would be boring as hell.

OpIv37
01-09-2012, 11:24 AM
Shhhhh, don't tell Op that. He's happy with taking things out of context to fit his cynical view. That's how we love him. A happy go lucky Op would be boring as hell.

Sorry, but all I see is the FO keeping the guys we have, and a bunch of posters on this board saying "we need to keep the guys we have" when the guys we have already proved that they can't get the job done.

It's nice for Nix to SAY that we need a WR and a pass rusher and we could get both in FA. It's another thing to actually go out and get it done. We hear a lot of "We need to get better" type stuff in Buffalo. I'll believe it when I see it.

psubills62
01-09-2012, 11:29 AM
Sorry, but all I see is the FO keeping the guys we have, and a bunch of posters on this board saying "we need to keep the guys we have" when the guys we have already proved that they can't get the job done.

It's nice for Nix to SAY that we need a WR and a pass rusher and we could get both in FA. It's another thing to actually go out and get it done. We hear a lot of "We need to get better" type stuff in Buffalo. I'll believe it when I see it.
The problem is that a lot of the guys we'd have wouldn't be that bad if they were in a complementary role. But if they're the main guys like they are now, that's when our team is in trouble.

I'm not sure I'd give Johnson 7.5m/year, but I do think it's worth trying to re-sign him if only to keep our WR corps from being a complete disaster.

What we really need is studs at a number of positions (core guys) who can push our current guys down into backup or complementary roles.

Mr. Miyagi
01-09-2012, 11:37 AM
Resign Stevie to 7.5M/yr and go get V-Jax. We'll probably end up with paying $20M/yr for just these 2 guys but that would be THE BEST 1-2 punch WR tandem in the league, hands down. With Fitz locked down, resign Freddie and still have Spiller behind him, and an upgrade on the OT and defense, this would HAVE to be a playoff team.

X-Era
01-09-2012, 11:43 AM
Resign Stevie to 7.5M/yr and go get V-Jax. We'll probably end up with paying $20M/yr for just these 2 guys but that would be THE BEST 1-2 punch WR tandem in the league, hands down. With Fitz locked down, resign Freddie and still have Spiller behind him, and an upgrade on the OT and defense, this would HAVE to be a playoff team.Queue the we don't have the cap room folks...

Wouldn't surprise me if Stevie gets done for 5 years 35 mill with 15 mill guaranteed.

V-Jax may be had at around the same price, who knows. The injuries may hurt his value. I wonder what Colston may get... to me he would seem to possibly be a bit cheaper.

EDS
01-09-2012, 01:00 PM
He's defending him right now.

:clap:

Nix needs Stevie back because without him the receiver corps is awful.

BLeonard
01-09-2012, 01:13 PM

Pretty much echoes my thoughts at this point... Nix said pretty much the exact same thing last year about Poz. Saying and doing are two completely different things.

Also, just to clarify, don't read the above comment as me "wanting Poz back." I'm simply stating that's what NIX said... we all know how that worked out.

Finally, I'd like to point out that a rule in the new CBA states that, for 2012 only, teams may roll over the remainder of their 2011 cap onto their 2012 number: http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Closing-the-books-on-2011.html

Thus, teams will have adjusted Caps of much more than the projected 2012 Cap number of around $125 million. A team like the Buccaneers, for example, with $25 million remaining in Cap room, may have an adjusted 2012 Cap of close to $150 million.

The question for the NFLPA is: will teams actually spend all of this Cap room? Keep in mind, there are no team spending minimums until 2013, and teams can “free ride” this year and next.

So, since Nix has so boldly proclaimed that they'll "spend all of the cap," I expect to see Ralph Wilson put his money where Nix's mouth is.

-Bill

Luisito23
01-09-2012, 01:36 PM
Get it done Nix!

X-Era
01-09-2012, 01:53 PM
Pretty much echoes my thoughts at this point... Nix said pretty much the exact same thing last year about Poz. Saying and doing are two completely different things.

Also, just to clarify, don't read the above comment as me "wanting Poz back." I'm simply stating that's what NIX said... we all know how that worked out.

Finally, I'd like to point out that a rule in the new CBA states that, for 2012 only, teams may roll over the remainder of their 2011 cap onto their 2012 number: http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Closing-the-books-on-2011.html

So, since Nix has so boldly proclaimed that they'll "spend all of the cap," I expect to see Ralph Wilson put his money where Nix's mouth is.

-Bill

To be honest with you I'm not really going to think much about the cap this year. As someone who went round and round about it last year when the CBA was formed, I came to this realization:

We can't really figure it out.

What I mean is that we want to know how much we can spend. But, we have little idea how much we have already spent, no idea how the Bills compute things, little idea of what we will offer, a vague idea of how the league looks at it, and only a cryptic document to provide any clarity. We'd probably have more luck doing brain surgery in the dark.

In the end we can probably safely assume we have money to spend if we choose to. And that's probably about as far as we can take it.

OpIv37
01-09-2012, 02:13 PM
To be honest with you I'm not really going to think much about the cap this year. As someone who went round and round about it last year when the CBA was formed, I came to this realization:

What I mean is that we want to know how much we can spend. But, we have little idea how much we have already spent, no idea how the Bills compute things, little idea of what we will offer, a vague idea of how the league looks at it, and only a cryptic document to provide any clarity. We'd probably have more luck doing brain surgery in the dark.

In the end we can probably safely assume we have money to spend if we choose to. And that's probably about as far as we can take it.

That was your problem right there. You were trying to figure out how MUCH we can spend. With the Bills, the more important number is how LITTLE we can spend.

Luisito23
01-09-2012, 02:15 PM
With the Bills, the more important number is how LITTLE we can spend.

Is like how far can you go when the needle's on E...:help!:

X-Era
01-09-2012, 02:17 PM
That was your problem right there. You were trying to figure out how MUCH we can spend. With the Bills, the more important number is how LITTLE we can spend.I understand your take. But my point was that we really don't know how much we can spend in the first place.

BLeonard
01-09-2012, 02:22 PM

The thing is, there are many sports media outlets that do know how much we spend and how close to the cap we are. They might not be 100% accurate down to the last penny, but they, at the very least, give you an idea of how far under the cap the Bills are.

As far as us having "no idea how the Bills compute things," to be honest, I couldn't care less how the Bills compute things. I care about how the NFL computes things, when it comes to the salary cap. If Nix is gonna come out and proclaim that "we're gonna spend all of the cap," then I don't ewant to hear any excuses about "not having any depth," when most cap-related websites and articles have the Bills sitting at least $15 million under the cap currently.

Here's an interesting part of the press conference:

On if he overestimated the depth going into the season and did he second-guess himself with the moves of WR Lee Evans and C Geoff Hangartner:

Well I think Lee caught three passes so I’m not so sure how much depth… Lee’s a good player. He had the misfortune of being hurt. Now, as far as being second-guessed that’s going to happen anyway and it doesn’t bother me. I don’t know what we could’ve done that would’ve provided more depth. Maybe there was in hindsight, if so I wish we would’ve done it. But at the time we make the best decision we can with what we’ve got. I can’t think of any specifics where we could’ve picked up more guys or brought… it’s a slow process sometimes. It’s a lot slower than any of us want it to be. It’s a deal where if you’re going to try to win this year and then drop off next year and drop off and then win, we’re trying to build it with young guys that are good players that are the right kind of people so that’ll stay that way year after year. At least we’ll be competitive.

The bolded is what I have an issue with. Notice how Nix says NOTHING about Hangartner? So, he "didn't know" that it might be a good idea to have a second player on the roster who has actually snapped a football in an NFL game before?

Just a note: Hangartner started all 16 games for Carolina this year, which earned the same 6-10 record that the Bills ended up with.

Now, I'm not saying Hangartner is a "game-changer" by any means, but don't you think the O-Line would have been in a little better position depth-wise, had they kept him around, as opposed to moving Andy Levitre all over the line when injuries took their toll?

-Bill

X-Era
01-09-2012, 02:27 PM
The thing is, there are many sports media outlets that do know how much we spend and how close to the cap we are. They might not be 100% accurate down to the last penny, but they, at the very least, give you an idea of how far under the cap the Bills are.

As far as us having "no idea how the Bills compute things," to be honest, I couldn't care less how the Bills compute things. I care about how the NFL computes things, when it comes to the salary cap. If Nix is gonna come out and proclaim that "we're gonna spend all of the cap," then I don't ewant to hear any excuses about "not having any depth," when most cap-related websites and articles have the Bills sitting at least $15 million under the cap currently.

Here's an interesting part of the press conference:

The bolded is what I have an issue with. Notice how Nix says NOTHING about Hangartner? So, he "didn't know" that it might be a good idea to have a second player on the roster who has actually snapped a football in an NFL game before?

Just a note: Hangartner started all 16 games for Carolina this year, which earned the same 6-10 record that the Bills ended up with.

Now, I'm not saying Hangartner is a "game-changer" by any means, but don't you think the O-Line would have been in a little better position depth-wise, had they kept him around, as opposed to moving Andy Levitre all over the line when injuries took their toll?

-Bill1) 15 mill can be gone with one player or can be spread over 3 depending on how you compute the contract. That's my point, it's a mess trying to figure out what we can and can't do. Where I agree is that we could have and should have done more.... which leads me to #2

2) I'm in no way defending not adding quality vet depth. I was outspoken about it going into the year. I feel it's what smart teams do.

Demon
01-09-2012, 03:20 PM
Of course they want him back. He's our best WR since Andre Reed. Even Gailey said they wanted him back.

Doubt he returns. He'll be most wanted WR this spring and Bills think they can baby him.