PDA

View Full Version : Stevie's Agent Says There has Been NO CONTRACT TALKS

mrbojanglezs
01-09-2012, 09:21 PM
Nix lying already?

ccording to Buffalo News Mark Gaughan

Jay Skurski @JaySkurski Close
Believe what you will: #Bills say they've talked extension with 13; The News @gggaughan reports Johnson's agent says there's been no contact

http://twitter.com/#!/JaySkurski/sta...75287373611008

THE END OF ALL DAYS
01-09-2012, 09:38 PM
meh...... posturing on both sides.... the season just ended they will get together soon

Extremebillsfan247
01-09-2012, 10:00 PM
Nix lying already?

ccording to Buffalo News Mark Gaughan

Jay Skurski @JaySkurski Close
Believe what you will: #Bills say they've talked extension with 13; The News @gggaughan reports Johnson's agent says there's been no contact

http://twitter.com/#!/JaySkurski/sta...75287373611008 The Bills did not say they talked extension with Stevie Johnson. Nix mentioned that there was some dialogue between the Bills and his agent, but never elaborated on the extent. Skurski and Gaughan are just looking for a story where there isn't one. JMO

Philagape
01-09-2012, 10:00 PM
Agents should never get the benefit of the doubt.

BLeonard
01-09-2012, 10:17 PM
Agents should never get the benefit of the doubt.

But, the Bills, who haven't sniffed the playoffs in 12 seasons should...?

-Bill

Philagape
01-09-2012, 10:24 PM
But, the Bills, who haven't sniffed the playoffs in 12 seasons should...?

-Bill

How does that make them liars?

BLeonard
01-09-2012, 10:46 PM
How does that make them liars?

Didn't say they were lying, you said "Agents should never get the benefit of the doubt." Should the Bills get the benefit of the doubt?

In his conference today, Nix said that they have talked with Stevie's agent since the end of the season... The agent says different.

It all boils down to who you believe... A GM who is at the head of a 10-22 team that hasn't made the playoffs in 12 years, or a player's agent that really doesn't have a reason to lie about having or not having talks about his client, especially since other teams can't talk to him yet anyway.

It could very well being posturing on both ends... But, if you hold a gun to my head and ask me who's lying, I wouldn't believe a word the Bills say until they show me something different than what they have shown since 2000.

-Bill

Philagape
01-09-2012, 10:59 PM
A team's performance has zero to do with whether they're being truthful in a press conference. I wouldn't believe Ted Thompson any more than I'd believe Nix. In fact, the better GMs are probably better at spin, too, so I'd believe them even less.

But agents are and always will be on the bottom rung of believability. The only reason agents say anything is to boost the value of their clients. That is their one and only loyalty. That's not to say I believe the team, either. Has nothing to do with the team.

BLeonard
01-09-2012, 11:19 PM
A team's performance has zero to do with whether they're being truthful in a press conference. I wouldn't believe Ted Thompson any more than I'd believe Nix. In fact, the better GMs are probably better at spin, too, so I'd believe them even less.

But agents are and always will be on the bottom rung of believability. The only reason agents say anything is to boost the value of their clients. That is their one and only loyalty. That's not to say I believe the team, either. Has nothing to do with the team.

Regarding the bolded part: So, you don't think a GM would lie if they knew that telling the truth would make the team look bad and/or potentially risk getting the fans to buy in (literally) on the team and it's plans for the future?

GM's are little more than the "agents" of a team. They are, for lack of better term, the salesmen for the team that employs them. They either say what fans want to hear, or spin it so it doesn't look like it's the team's fault if it fails, in order to keep as much money flowing into the team as possible.

Some people might buy into "Good 'ol, Straight shootin'" Buddy Nix and think that his "rebuilding plan" is going just dandy. But me? As I said in another thread, I'll believe it when I see it.

-Bill

jimbohastle51
01-09-2012, 11:40 PM
the agent is doing his job. if the local media start hounding the bills staff asking about this NO contact statement from stevies agent it puts pressure to get something done. weather its a little or a lot of pressure its pressure none the less and creates a tiny bit of leverage for the player.

EricStratton
01-10-2012, 05:10 AM
the agent is doing his job. if the local media start hounding the bills staff asking about this NO contact statement from stevies agent it puts pressure to get something done. weather its a little or a lot of pressure its pressure none the less and creates a tiny bit of leverage for the player.

It also allows other clubs to keep Stevie on their radar. If Buddy and the agent came out and said they were talking other GM's will take that as they will get a deal done eventually and they will turn their attention to other potential FA receivers.

This keeps Johnson in and his agent in the conversation.

EricStratton
01-10-2012, 05:11 AM
And as was mentioned the success of a team and the believability of an agent have nothing to do with each other.

I live in the shadow of the Meadowlands and listen to the Giants GM lie as often as he speaks outloud yet their club keeps on winning.

Night Train
01-10-2012, 05:13 AM
It also allows other clubs to keep Stevie on their radar. If Buddy and the agent came out and said they were talking other GM's will take that as they will get a deal done eventually and they will turn their attention to other potential FA receivers.

This keeps Johnson in and his agent in the conversation.

Precisely.

It's all part of the off-season dance and I'm standing off to the side, waiting for the waltz music to play.

Wally The Barber
01-10-2012, 05:55 AM
Not interestind in idle chatter about a new deal. The Bills either go all out and sign Johnson OR do nothing then lose him.

Cleve
01-10-2012, 06:14 AM
Nix is just another in a long string of "Yes" men in that office - he says whatever Wilson wants him to say.

RedEyE
01-10-2012, 07:03 AM
The season is been over for a little over a week. I think the Bills FO can take the week to analyze and collect their thoughts before making any rash decisions. I mean it's not like Stevie has been a model player. Add in the recent coaching losses and the Bills have been busy.