• Show
Clear All
  • mrbojanglezs
    • Jan 2010

Stevie's Agent Says There has Been NO CONTRACT TALKS

Nix lying already?

ccording to Buffalo News Mark Gaughan

Jay Skurski @JaySkurski Close
    Believe what you will: #Bills say they've talked extension with 13; The News @gggaughan reports Johnson's agent says there's been no contact

http://twitter.com/#!/JaySkurski/sta...75287373611008
  • THE END OF ALL DAYS
    The Allen Era has begun.... no looking back now, come hell or high water!
    • Feb 2005

Re: Stevie's Agent Says There has Been NO CONTRACT TALKS

meh...... posturing on both sides.... the season just ended they will get together soon
    In my day we did not have self-esteem... we had self-respect, and no more of it then we earned.

Comment

• Extremebillsfan247
      • Sep 2008

Originally posted by mrbojanglezs
      Nix lying already?

ccording to Buffalo News Mark Gaughan

Jay Skurski @JaySkurski Close
      Believe what you will: #Bills say they've talked extension with 13; The News @gggaughan reports Johnson's agent says there's been no contact

http://twitter.com/#!/JaySkurski/sta...75287373611008
      The Bills did not say they talked extension with Stevie Johnson. Nix mentioned that there was some dialogue between the Bills and his agent, but never elaborated on the extent. Skurski and Gaughan are just looking for a story where there isn't one. JMO

Comment

• Philagape
        WIN NOW
        • Jul 2002

Agents should never get the benefit of the doubt.
        "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
        2004 BZ Big Money League Champion

Comment

• BLeonard
          BoB Sabermetrician
          • Jan 2003

Originally posted by Philagape
          Agents should never get the benefit of the doubt.
          But, the Bills, who haven't sniffed the playoffs in 12 seasons should...?

-Bill

Comment

• Philagape
            WIN NOW
            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by BLeonard
            But, the Bills, who haven't sniffed the playoffs in 12 seasons should...?

-Bill
            How does that make them liars?
            "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion

Comment

• BLeonard
              BoB Sabermetrician
              • Jan 2003

How does that make them liars?
              Didn't say they were lying, you said "Agents should never get the benefit of the doubt." Should the Bills get the benefit of the doubt?

In his conference today, Nix said that they have talked with Stevie's agent since the end of the season... The agent says different.

It all boils down to who you believe... A GM who is at the head of a 10-22 team that hasn't made the playoffs in 12 years, or a player's agent that really doesn't have a reason to lie about having or not having talks about his client, especially since other teams can't talk to him yet anyway.

It could very well being posturing on both ends... But, if you hold a gun to my head and ask me who's lying, I wouldn't believe a word the Bills say until they show me something different than what they have shown since 2000.

-Bill
              Last edited by BLeonard; 01-09-2012, 10:47 PM.

Comment

• Philagape
                WIN NOW
                • Jul 2002

A team's performance has zero to do with whether they're being truthful in a press conference. I wouldn't believe Ted Thompson any more than I'd believe Nix. In fact, the better GMs are probably better at spin, too, so I'd believe them even less.

But agents are and always will be on the bottom rung of believability. The only reason agents say anything is to boost the value of their clients. That is their one and only loyalty. That's not to say I believe the team, either. Has nothing to do with the team.

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion

Comment

• BLeonard
                  BoB Sabermetrician
                  • Jan 2003

A team's performance has zero to do with whether they're being truthful in a press conference. I wouldn't believe Ted Thompson any more than I'd believe Nix. In fact, the better GMs are probably better at spin, too, so I'd believe them even less.

But agents are and always will be on the bottom rung of believability. The only reason agents say anything is to boost the value of their clients. That is their one and only loyalty. That's not to say I believe the team, either. Has nothing to do with the team.
                  Regarding the bolded part: So, you don't think a GM would lie if they knew that telling the truth would make the team look bad and/or potentially risk getting the fans to buy in (literally) on the team and it's plans for the future?

GM's are little more than the "agents" of a team. They are, for lack of better term, the salesmen for the team that employs them. They either say what fans want to hear, or spin it so it doesn't look like it's the team's fault if it fails, in order to keep as much money flowing into the team as possible.

Some people might buy into "Good 'ol, Straight shootin'" Buddy Nix and think that his "rebuilding plan" is going just dandy. But me? As I said in another thread, I'll believe it when I see it.

-Bill

Comment

• jimbohastle51
                    All-Pro Zoner
                    • Feb 2005

the agent is doing his job. if the local media start hounding the bills staff asking about this NO contact statement from stevies agent it puts pressure to get something done. weather its a little or a lot of pressure its pressure none the less and creates a tiny bit of leverage for the player.

Comment

• EricStratton
                      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by jimbohastle51
                      the agent is doing his job. if the local media start hounding the bills staff asking about this NO contact statement from stevies agent it puts pressure to get something done. weather its a little or a lot of pressure its pressure none the less and creates a tiny bit of leverage for the player.

It also allows other clubs to keep Stevie on their radar. If Buddy and the agent came out and said they were talking other GM's will take that as they will get a deal done eventually and they will turn their attention to other potential FA receivers.

This keeps Johnson in and his agent in the conversation.

Comment

• EricStratton
                        • Jul 2002

And as was mentioned the success of a team and the believability of an agent have nothing to do with each other.

I live in the shadow of the Meadowlands and listen to the Giants GM lie as often as he speaks outloud yet their club keeps on winning.

Comment

• Night Train
                          Retired - On Several Levels
                          • Jul 2005

Originally posted by EricStratton
                          It also allows other clubs to keep Stevie on their radar. If Buddy and the agent came out and said they were talking other GM's will take that as they will get a deal done eventually and they will turn their attention to other potential FA receivers.

This keeps Johnson in and his agent in the conversation.
                          Precisely.

It's all part of the off-season dance and I'm standing off to the side, waiting for the waltz music to play.
                          Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• Wally The Barber
                            • Jul 2007

Not interestind in idle chatter about a new deal. The Bills either go all out and sign Johnson OR do nothing then lose him.
                            Beware of Sarcasm

Comment

• Cleve
                              • Oct 2004

Nix is just another in a long string of "Yes" men in that office - he says whatever Wilson wants him to say.
                              Last edited by Cleve; 01-10-2012, 06:15 AM.

This lowly cart.... it hits harder and has a higher yards
                              per play average than the Bills' offense!

Comment

Working...
                              X