PDA

View Full Version : Tuck Rule question

YardRat
01-11-2012, 07:07 PM
If the QB's arm is moving forward in the tuck motion and the ball comes loose in a manner that allows it to be caught in the air, before hitting the ground (obviously), does the offense get the call and keep the ball or is it ruled an interception?

SquishDaFish
01-11-2012, 07:13 PM
Im sure itll happen to Brady sometime during the playoffs and it will be ruled Tuck rule ball back to God I mean Brady.

BLeonard
01-11-2012, 07:27 PM
If the QB's arm is moving forward in the tuck motion and the ball comes loose in a manner that allows it to be caught in the air, before hitting the ground (obviously), does the offense get the call and keep the ball or is it ruled an interception?

As I read the rule, I'd have to say interception.

Here's the rule:

NFL Rule 3, Section 21, Article 2, Note 2: “When a Team A player is holding the ball to pass it forward, any intentional forward movement of his hand starts a forward pass, even if the player loses possession of the ball as he is attempting to tuck it back toward his body.”

If the ball never hits the ground on a forward pass and is taken by the defensive team, it's an interception.

-Bill

Ickybaluky
01-11-2012, 09:26 PM
I think it would be an interception. If he loses it while attempting to tuck it, it would be a pass. When the defense catches a pass in the air, it is an interception.

Here is the full definition of a forward pass in the rulebook:

FORWARD PASS

Article 2 It is a Forward Pass if:
(a) the ball initially moves forward (to a point nearer the opponent’s goal line) after leaving the passer’s
hands; or
(b) the ball first strikes the ground, a player, an official, or anything else at a point that is nearer the
opponent’s goal line than the point at which the ball leaves the passer’s hand.
Note 1: When a Team A player is holding the ball to pass it forward, any intentional movement forward of his
hand starts a forward pass. If a Team B player contacts the passer or the ball after forward movement
begins, and the ball leaves the passer’s hand, a forward pass is ruled, regardless of where the ball strikes
the ground or a player.
Note 2: When a Team A player is holding the ball to pass it forward, any intentional forward movement of his
hand starts a forward pass, even if the player loses possession of the ball as he is attempting to tuck it
back toward his body. Also, if the player has tucked the ball into his body and then loses possession, it is a
fumble.
Note 3: If the player loses possession of the ball while attempting to recock his arm, it is a fumble.
Note 4: A fumble or muff going forward is disregarded as to its direction, unless the act is ruled intentional. In
such cases, the fumble is a forward pass (8-1-1) and the muff is a bat (12-1-8).
A.R. 3.13 A pass legally handed forward to an eligible pass receiver is followed by a forward pass in flight from behind
the line.
Ruling: A legal pass because the first handoff is not considered a forward pass.
A.R. 3.14 A pass is legally handed forward to an eligible pass receiver, who muffs the ball and it is recovered by the
defensive team.
Ruling: Not an incomplete pass. It is treated as a fumble and the defensive team keeps the ball.

imbondz
01-11-2012, 09:45 PM
gayest rule ever

TMu11
01-12-2012, 06:07 AM
NFL Rule 3, Section 21, Article 2, Note 2: “When a Team A player is holding the ball to pass it forward, any intentional forward movement of his hand starts a forward pass, even if the player loses possession of the ball as he is attempting to tuck it back toward his body.”

So what if the QBs arm moves forward "unintentionally?" (i.e. - during a hit)

The rule books need a good revision to help make rules and calls more consistent

Mr. Pink
01-12-2012, 06:35 AM
I'd also say interception in that case.

Forward_Lateral
01-12-2012, 07:03 AM
I always thought if the ball came out of the QB's hands and was caught before it hit the ground, it was an INT regardless.

BLeonard
01-12-2012, 07:07 AM
I always thought if the ball came out of the QB's hands and was caught before it hit the ground, it was an INT regardless.

If the arm isn't going forward, it'd be a fumble...

See Tim Tebow vs the Bills in week 15. Spencer Johnson picked the ball out of the air and returned it for a TD... But since Tebow's arm wasn't going forward, it was a fumble, not an INT.

http://denver.sbnation.com/denver-broncos/2011/12/29/2668079/tim-tebow-fumble-interception-denver-broncos

-Bill

OpIv37
01-12-2012, 07:10 AM
If it doesn't touch the ground then it's irrelevant anyway. Whoever catches the ball gets to keep it and play from there. Whether it's ruled a fumble or INT only matters on the stat sheet. The play doesn't end until either a pass or a player touch the ground or go out of bounds.

ServoBillieves
01-12-2012, 07:15 AM
If the ball comes out because a player on defense caused it to, it should be a turnover. What sense is it in a game where your intention is to get the ball away from the opponent and score, when youget it away, they say "nope, he wanted to keep it but you knocked it loose"

I agree, revise the damn rule book

DynaPaul
01-12-2012, 11:24 AM
It depends who the QB is how the rule is interpreted.

Mr. Miyagi
01-12-2012, 01:16 PM
F the tuck rule. It's the biggest crock of crap ever. If the QB's arm and the ball are both moving forward and gets picked off, it's an interception. If the QB loses the ball while not attempting to throw it in any way, it should be a fumble. I don't care if he's trying to tuck it away or rock it like a baby. If he's not passing it and loses it, it's his fault.

stuckincincy
01-12-2012, 01:39 PM
F the tuck rule. It's the biggest crock of crap ever. If the QB's arm and the ball are both moving forward and gets picked off, it's an interception. If the QB loses the ball while not attempting to throw it in any way, it should be a fumble. I don't care if he's trying to tuck it away or rock it like a baby. If he's not passing it and loses it, it's his fault.

Stop being insensitive. Maybe the QB meant well.

trapezeus
01-12-2012, 02:40 PM
the ruling would be "whatever is beneficial to the patriots". if the patriots are not playing, there will be no tuck rule.

imbondz
01-12-2012, 05:55 PM
it hasn't even been called once since that AFC game

BLeonard
01-12-2012, 06:01 PM
it hasn't even been called once since that AFC game

Wrong.

The tuck rule also was enforced in the NFL playoff game on January 9, 2011 between the Kansas City Chiefs and the Baltimore Ravens. After this game, Mike Pereira, the former NFL vice-president for officiating, stated that he was no longer in support of the tuck rule.

http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/01/11/mike-pereira-no-longer-supports-tuck-rule/

Pretty sure it got called in the Bills/Bengals game this year, too.

http://www.buffalobills.com/media-center/videos/Bengals-saved-by-tuck-rule/55f92f23-06cd-4836-a0e5-7f5964c48ba3

-Bill

Mr. Miyagi
01-12-2012, 06:29 PM
Pretty sure it got called in the Bills/Bengals game this year, too.

Yup I remember being mad about that one too.