PDA

View Full Version : Sabres only 5 points out of a playoff spot

Skooby
01-12-2012, 06:59 AM
http://espn.go.com/nhl/standings/_/group/2

OpIv37
01-12-2012, 07:22 AM
The bad news: the Caps are 8th place at 5 points ahead of us. After that, it's the Leafs at 49 and Devils at 50.

Don't expect the Caps to stay there, they are 6-3-1 in their last 10 and finally heating up. And we only get one more shot at them head-to head.

That means we have to make up 9 points against NJ and/or 8 against Toronto (most likely 10 after they beat us tomorrow night) with just under half the season left.

That's a pretty tall order.

More importantly, have you watched these guys lately? They aren't up to the task. They just don't have the heart or the talent.

Skooby
01-12-2012, 07:33 AM
The bad news: the Caps are 8th place at 5 points ahead of us. After that, it's the Leafs at 49 and Devils at 50.

Don't expect the Caps to stay there, they are 6-3-1 in their last 10 and finally heating up. And we only get one more shot at them head-to head.

That means we have to make up 9 points against NJ and/or 8 against Toronto (most likely 10 after they beat us tomorrow night) with just under half the season left.

That's a pretty tall order.

More importantly, have you watched these guys lately? They aren't up to the task. They just don't have the heart or the talent.

The teams ahead of us have many head to head games left & there is ~80 potential points to be had one way or the other. The Sabres are either going to get healthy & play well or continue wetting the bed, the latter looking more like the case as of late.

OpIv37
01-12-2012, 08:00 AM
Unfortunately we've seen this script before.

We'll either sneak in as the 7th or 8th seed and get killed in the first round, or continue to choke and miss the playoffs altogether.

Save '09-'10, that's how it's been every year since Drury and Briere left, and that's how it will be every year until this team gives up on guys like Roy and Stafford.

rbochan
01-12-2012, 09:04 AM
What a poignant, riveting thread.

trapezeus
01-12-2012, 09:05 AM
this "core" has made the playoffs once. in 4 years. other teams would have given up by now. they fact they try to sell this **** as the solution makes them like snake oil salesmen.

This team needs desperately to not get hot now. it needs to ride the second half as pathetically as the first half. and then reiger needs to miss selling assets at the deadline and black and pegula need to hear the fans scream that gaustad, stafford and roy could have been moved to pick up more pieces and get youngsters in here who care. and let the kassians and foligno's on the ice and show a new identity.

i truly want the worst for the sabres this year because pegula will know changes are needed. if they get a mini streak to sneak in, they'll double down again because everyone is signed.

literally myers, vanek, mcnabb, kassian, erhoff would be untouchable on my list.

Mski
01-12-2012, 10:59 AM
literally myers, vanek, mcnabb, kassian, erhoff would be untouchable on my list.add Regher to the list and i completely agree

chernobylwraiths
01-12-2012, 11:02 AM
this "core" has made the playoffs once. in 4 years.

twice

G Wolly
01-12-2012, 11:22 AM
and there's still 3 months of regular season hockey left for us to lose out on that playoff spot.

trapezeus
01-12-2012, 11:59 AM
twice

both were first round exits. both times we knew the team wasn't phyiscal enough to be long playoffs.

the other times looked like last year without the pegula bump.

the core is rotten. it doesn't work. literally and figuratively.

I saw a guy post a joke that the Sabres should move to lackawanna since the team has a whole lot of lack of "wanna". It's true. They just have zero heart or passion. i've never seen a stanley cup won on apathy.

OpIv37
01-12-2012, 10:04 PM
and there's still 3 months of regular season hockey left for us to lose out on that playoff spot.

No. We are out of the playoffs at the moment.

We have 3 months to fight our way in with a team that has no fight in them whatsoever.

G Wolly
01-13-2012, 03:25 AM
No. We are out of the playoffs at the moment.

We have 3 months to fight our way in with a team that has no fight in them whatsoever.

Yeah, that's what I meant. Total brainfart.

I also meant we have plenty of time to drop further.

Skooby
01-14-2012, 05:43 AM
Still 5 points out.

OpIv37
01-14-2012, 12:39 PM
Still 5 points out.

well, if there is ANY hope of making something of this season, a regulation win last night was crucial, and they got that done.

I'm still not sold on this team at all and I still think we're going to finish in even worse shape than we are in right now, but all we can do is take things one step at a time.

So far, so good, but if they **** it up against a weak Islanders team tonight, we'll know what this team is really made of.

Skooby
01-14-2012, 01:37 PM
well, if there is ANY hope of making something of this season, a regulation win last night was crucial, and they got that done.

I'm still not sold on this team at all and I still think we're going to finish in even worse shape than we are in right now, but all we can do is take things one step at a time.

So far, so good, but if they **** it up against a weak Islanders team tonight, we'll know what this team is really made of.

The Sabres have more back to back games than anyone in the NHL, so we better find a way to play hard tired.

G Wolly
01-22-2012, 07:15 AM
and now we're tied with carolina for last place in the conference.

Skooby
01-22-2012, 07:16 AM
and now we're tied with carolina for last place in the conference.

Many points out.