PDA

View Full Version : Brad Smith’s future

BLeonard
01-12-2012, 08:49 AM
http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2012/01/12/brad-smiths-future/

The Bills were happy to add Brad Smith to their roster via free agency last offseason, but didn’t have the time to properly incorporate him into their offense with the abbreviated amount of time prior to training camp. Looking ahead Bills GM Buddy Nix tried to outline where Smith will best be able to help Buffalo’s offense.

-Bill

OpIv37
01-12-2012, 08:55 AM
wow, that's a big heaping scoop of bull**** right there.

trapezeus
01-12-2012, 08:56 AM
i think if the bills didn't "need" him as a WR by midseason, we would have seen more wildcat formations. i think the bills played worried about their injury situation and didn't want him to hurt himself on a third down run up the middle and then have another hole at wideout.

i was surprised at how awful he was at kick returns though. absolutely zero burst.

Mahdi
01-12-2012, 09:00 AM
i think if the bills didn't "need" him as a WR by midseason, we would have seen more wildcat formations. i think the bills played worried about their injury situation and didn't want him to hurt himself on a third down run up the middle and then have another hole at wideout.

i was surprised at how awful he was at kick returns though. absolutely zero burst.
That's not the type of KR Smith is.

There is the "shot out of a cannon" type KR and the "methodical" KR.

Smith is the latter and sets up his blocks and combines shiftiness to get good returns. The problem is that the new KO rules cancel out the methodical returners.

That's why Justin Rogers was a huge upgrade, he is the "shot out of a cannon" type.

Forward_Lateral
01-12-2012, 09:17 AM
Agreed. Any KR that isn't fast is useless now. If you are going to return it out of the endzone, you better be able to get it to the 20 in about 2 seconds. There's no time for dancing around.

EDS
01-12-2012, 09:22 AM
wow, that's a big heaping scoop of bull**** right there.

I concur. Wildcat is a gimmick anyway. Don't see many playoff teams employing it with any regularity.

trapezeus
01-12-2012, 09:42 AM
broncos are using it quite a bit with tebow. he fakes the handoff or runs with it.

Jan Reimers
01-12-2012, 09:48 AM
broncos are using it quite a bit with tebow. he fakes the handoff or runs with it.
Brad Smith ain't no Tebow.

Forward_Lateral
01-12-2012, 09:49 AM
Brad Smith ain't no Tebow.

He can probably pass just as good.

Jan Reimers
01-12-2012, 09:51 AM
But he can't work miracles.

EDS
01-12-2012, 10:10 AM

Big difference from having your regular QB (although you have to use that term broadly when refering to Tebow) running fakes and telegraphing the play by bringing in a substitute to run the play.

OpIv37
01-12-2012, 10:56 AM

Well, Tebow seems to have Jesus locked up, and Brady has Satan locked up.

Maybe Smith can make a deal with Allah or Buddha for some miracle power.

DynaPaul
01-12-2012, 11:20 AM
Tebow can only do that for so long.

Jan Reimers
01-12-2012, 11:23 AM
Hopefully, long enough to beat the Pats.

better days
01-12-2012, 11:25 AM

Maybe so.........for NOW, tebow will improve his passing. I will bet everyone sees an improvement in his passing by next year.

And Tebow runs MUCH better.

kscdogbillsfan1221
01-12-2012, 11:33 AM
wow. somehow our discussion on brad smith has turned into yet ANOTHER tim tebow debate. Lol

better days
01-12-2012, 11:35 AM

Tebow & the Broncos do not really run the Wildcat (much). They run the read-option. Tebow gets the ball every snap & determines to hand the ball off, keep the ball & run or pass the ball depending on his read.

With the Wildcat, defenses do not know who will receive the ball before it is snapped. It could be the QB or a RB.

The Broncos ran one play against the Steelers where Tebow was in the WR position. That was the only play that could be called the wildcat formation.

Bill Cody
01-12-2012, 11:39 AM
We need a real QB. We've got the 2nd string and 3rd string stuff covered pretty well.

better days
01-12-2012, 11:42 AM

I disagree. Tebow should be able to run the ball for a number of years to come & his passing will improve.

Extremebillsfan247
01-12-2012, 02:21 PM
The Bills 3rd down efficiency was a lot better with him in the wildcat than without him. That seems to be where he is more effective, especially on 3rd and short. JMO

mikemac2001
01-12-2012, 02:50 PM
chan stated this early in the year that no offseason hurt what they wanted to do with smith

so if ur complaining its old news

The Jokeman
01-12-2012, 05:33 PM
Cuz the Bills D ain't as good as the Broncos D.

mikemac2001
01-12-2012, 06:25 PM
Cuz the Bills D ain't as good as the Broncos D.

except the bills dominated them makes no sense

BertSquirtgum
01-12-2012, 08:06 PM
The wild cat blows and Brad Smith was a terrible signing.

mikemac2001
01-12-2012, 08:20 PM
The wild cat blows and Brad Smith was a terrible signing.

Not really anytime he ran it was 4-5 yds and a first time, the problem was the couldn't installed as much as they wanted then due to injuries he had to focus on being a WR not a gadget guy /4th wr

BertSquirtgum
01-12-2012, 09:10 PM
Not really anytime he ran it was 4-5 yds and a first time, the problem was the couldn't installed as much as they wanted then due to injuries he had to focus on being a WR not a gadget guy /4th wr

I think you mean he squeaked out 1-2 yards.

BillsFever21
01-12-2012, 09:33 PM
The Bills 3rd down efficiency was a lot better with him in the wildcat than without him. That seems to be where he is more effective, especially on 3rd and short. JMO
That's the biggest thing I just took from that story. Early in the year when they used him in short yardage he has a great success rate. In the middle of the season they just quit using it for the most part when we needed it the worse with Fitzpatrick stinking up the joint.

I don't see where using him as our 4th WR should've made any difference on him taking a WC snap here and there in short yardage situation. That was a pretty lame excuse by Gailey.

He was already paid quite a bit for mostly that role along with the KR role(which he was horrible in this year)

He is a dime a dozen as a WR and isn't even worth 4 million a year as a WR. If they quit using him for the limited action and opportunities which he excelled at then it really makes that 4 million a year a waste of money.

better days
01-13-2012, 06:54 AM
I think you mean he squeaked out 1-2 yards.

The yardage does not matter. He picked up FIRST downs REGULARLY.

Extremebillsfan247
01-13-2012, 07:20 PM
That's the biggest thing I just took from that story. Early in the year when they used him in short yardage he has a great success rate. In the middle of the season they just quit using it for the most part when we needed it the worse with Fitzpatrick stinking up the joint.

I don't see where using him as our 4th WR should've made any difference on him taking a WC snap here and there in short yardage situation. That was a pretty lame excuse by Gailey.

He was already paid quite a bit for mostly that role along with the KR role(which he was horrible in this year)

He is a dime a dozen as a WR and isn't even worth 4 million a year as a WR. If they quit using him for the limited action and opportunities which he excelled at then it really makes that 4 million a year a waste of money. Well for a little bit there, he was even bumped up to the number 2 receiver roll. The Bills had trouble keeping receivers healthy, and its a wonder how Stevie Johnson even survived the injury bug. It was at epidemic levels with the receivers on this team.

I think the Bills were just scrambling to find a receiver who could stretch the field once Donald Jones went down to injury. Brad Smith obviously not being the fastest receiver, was better at it than what the Bills had at the time supposedly. I think Chan didn't want to risk overworking him with a chance of losing another player to IR. Which is why I think his wildcat roll stopped. JMO

PTI
01-13-2012, 08:37 PM
Cut after next year, he will be cost too much money to keep around with such small productivity.