PDA

View Full Version : If you could pick ONE defensive player in NFL for the Bills...

Mahdi
01-12-2012, 09:05 AM
Who would it be?

My pick is Jason Pierre-Paul.

better days
01-12-2012, 09:07 AM
I would take Suh in a heartbeat & I don't care that he is not really a "need".

TacklingDummy
01-12-2012, 09:12 AM
Jared Allen.

It all starts with a pass rush.

The King
01-12-2012, 09:15 AM
Ed Reed

psubills62
01-12-2012, 09:16 AM
Patrick Willis.

Mahdi
01-12-2012, 09:16 AM
Ed Reed
Seriously...?

Mahdi
01-12-2012, 09:17 AM
Patrick Willis.
He would be my second choice if we had a pass rusher already.

Forward_Lateral
01-12-2012, 09:18 AM
Patrick Willis

EDS
01-12-2012, 09:20 AM
Patrick Willis is my choice as well.

stuckincincy
01-12-2012, 09:27 AM
Patrick Willis is my choice as well.

Revis. Who else gets to hold, grab, and interfere with being flagged 1 out of 10 times? Think of the advantages of that...

ThunderGun
01-12-2012, 09:31 AM
Who would it be?

My pick is Jason Pierre-Paul.

Good thing we took Spiller over him, huh?

TMu11
01-12-2012, 09:32 AM
Suh

Followed by..

Revis
Von Miller

The Jokeman
01-12-2012, 09:33 AM
DeMarcus Ware.

ThunderGun
01-12-2012, 09:33 AM
I'd take Ko Simpson

THATHURMANATOR
01-12-2012, 09:37 AM
Jason Allen.

It all starts with a pass rush.
Jason Allen?
Who is that?
:thurm2:

Mahdi
01-12-2012, 09:57 AM
Good thing we took Spiller over him, huh?
Spiller was considered a sure thing at the time. JPP was considered a project with a high ceiling and very low floor.

better days
01-12-2012, 10:02 AM
Jason Allen?
Who is that?

I think he meant Jared Allen but there is a CB for the Texans by the name of Jason Allen.

ThunderGun
01-12-2012, 10:11 AM
Spiller was considered a sure thing at the time. JPP was considered a project with a high ceiling and very low floor.

A sure thing? Not by me.

I was sure that we already had two Probowl-caliber RB's though....

Pinkerton Security
01-12-2012, 10:16 AM
1) P Willie
2) JPP
3) Revis
4) Suh

Ed
01-12-2012, 10:21 AM
Probably Von Miller or Aldon Smith.

Mahdi
01-12-2012, 10:22 AM
A sure thing? Not by me.

I was sure that we already had two Probowl-caliber RB's though....
Ok maybe not by you but everyone else. Spiller was a complete player who explosive skills running, receiving and returning. And running between the tackles was not a problem for him in college either as he did a lot of that in his last season especially.

Mahdi
01-12-2012, 10:24 AM
Probably Von Miller or Aldon Smith.
Why Miller or Smith over JPP though... just curious?

Jaybird
01-12-2012, 10:25 AM
Jason Allen?
Who is that?

Jason Allan was a first round bust from the dolphins

Ed
01-12-2012, 10:32 AM
Why Miller or Smith over JPP though... just curious?
I don't know, I just really love watching those guys play. They both look awesome and they are only rookies. I think they're both going to have great careers.

JPP has had a great year too. I certainly wouldn't complain if he were a Bill.

EDIT: I wanted to add that Aldon Smith and Von Miller also seem a little more versatile to me then JPP.

JCBills
01-12-2012, 10:34 AM
Are we in a 3-4?

If so, Clay Matthews.

Mahdi
01-12-2012, 10:36 AM
I don't know, I just really love watching those guys play. They both look awesome and they are only rookies. I think they're both going to have great careers.

JPP has had a great year too. I certainly wouldn't complain if he were a Bill.

EDIT: I wanted to add that Aldon Smith and Von Miller also seem a little more versatile to me then JPP.
The reason I ask is because JPP has been dominant as a run defender as well as a pass rusher. The guy has been almost unblockable in any situation.

Aldon and Miller have been amazing for sure, but more in terms of pure pass rushers.

Mahdi
01-12-2012, 10:37 AM
Are we in a 3-4?

If so, Clay Matthews.
Hybrid or unknown. Like the last 2 seasons...

elltrain22
01-12-2012, 10:38 AM
For me its a toss up b/w Willis and/or DeMarcus Ware. Great question.

Ed
01-12-2012, 10:38 AM
The reason I ask is because JPP has been dominant as a run defender as well as a pass rusher. The guy has been almost unblockable in any situation.

Aldon and Miller have been amazing for sure, but more in terms of pure pass rushers.
I can't really say that I have watched JPP that much. Maybe overall he's the better player. I don't know. It's hard to pick just one player. I was just throwing out a couple names of players I really like.

k-oneputt
01-12-2012, 10:41 AM
JPP would be first pick for this team.
Willis would be the second.
Suh would be third because he's that good.
Suh would probably be #1 but since we have Dareus and Williams, JPP it is.
JPP is exactly what the Bills need.
Maybe we get Coples in the draft and we can light a fire under his a** and he becomes our JPP.

DynaPaul
01-12-2012, 11:36 AM
Champ Bailey

Mahdi
01-12-2012, 11:38 AM
Champ Bailey
Maybe 5-7 years ago. There's better CBs than him right now though if its a CB you think will change our defense...

kscdogbillsfan1221
Champ Bailey

circa 2005 i hope..

JCBills
Hybrid or unknown. Like the last 2 seasons...

Matthews. 29.5 sacks, 4 INT, 6 FF in 3 seasons and he's 25. Solves LOLB or ROLB for 3-4.

RedEyE
01-12-2012, 11:40 AM
1) Jared Allen
2) Suh
3) Darelle Revis
4) Troy Polamalu

Bill Cody
01-12-2012, 11:42 AM
I don't know how many Giants games you guys see but JPP is headed for DPY and soon, absolute freak of nature.

Mahdi
01-12-2012, 11:43 AM
Matthews. 29.5 sacks, 4 INT, 6 FF in 3 seasons and he's 25. Solves LOLB or ROLB for 3-4.
I agree. I just think that JPP is more well rounded, bigger, stronger than Mathews. Mathews is a playmaker but he can be targeted in the run game.

Honestly, if we had more 4-3 pieces we might be better going that way.

A DL where Dareus and Williams are in the middle with a dominant pass rusher at DE would be problematic for most offenses. Not sure how stout Williams will ever be as a NT.

Mahdi
01-12-2012, 11:44 AM
I don't know how many Giants games you guys see but JPP is headed for DPY and soon, absolute freak of nature.
Yup.

Freakishly long, fast and strong. Add to that his pass rush skills and his motor. This guy might be the next Strahan.

JCBills
01-12-2012, 11:47 AM
I agree. I just think that JPP is more well rounded, bigger, stronger than Mathews. Mathews is a playmaker but he can be targeted in the run game.

Honestly, if we had more 4-3 pieces we might be better going that way.

A DL where Dareus and Williams are in the middle with a dominant pass rusher at DE would be problematic for most offenses. Not sure how stout Williams will ever be as a NT.

Matthews can hold down the strong side against the run.

I just don't get people listing names of people reaching or over 30 years old.

stuckincincy
01-12-2012, 11:56 AM

Merriman, version 2 ?

http://www.totalpackers.com/2010/05/22/clay-matthews-denies-steroid-use/

DraftBoy
01-12-2012, 12:01 PM
Willis

tatersalad
01-12-2012, 12:26 PM
Patrick Willis without a doubt second choice would be D. Ware

ticatfan
01-12-2012, 02:08 PM
Cam Wake.

Extremebillsfan247
01-12-2012, 02:12 PM
Von Miller, He is everything the Bills need in a LB that they don't have. JMO

SquishDaFish
01-12-2012, 02:16 PM
Suggs

JCBills
01-12-2012, 02:24 PM
Von Miller, He is everything the Bills need in a LB that they don't have. JMO

They need someone who can hold up to the run as well as bring pressure.

EDS
01-12-2012, 02:25 PM
They need someone who can hold up to the run as well as bring pressure.

Von Miller can do that. He looks to be an all around stud.

Oaf
01-12-2012, 02:44 PM
Matthews.

JCBills
01-12-2012, 02:51 PM
Von Miller can do that. He looks to be an all around stud.

Not sold on that. He plays the weak side. Typically, you don't want a 245 lb OLB trying to stop the run on the strong side.

stuckincincy
01-12-2012, 03:28 PM
Not sold on that. He plays the weak side. Typically, you don't want a 245 lb OLB trying to stop the run on the strong side.

Why not? I wouldn't care who stops a run, weak or strong side. If the mission's accomplished, that
is good enough for me.

JCBills
01-12-2012, 03:52 PM
Why not? I wouldn't care who stops a run, weak or strong side. If the mission's accomplished, that
is good enough for me.

Lol, what?

Mr. Pink
01-12-2012, 05:03 PM
Willis or Revis

YardRat
01-12-2012, 09:25 PM
Revis.

Corners that good are just too hard to find.

The last buffalo fan
01-12-2012, 09:53 PM
Donte Withme.

BillsFever21
01-12-2012, 10:04 PM
Patrick Willis.
If only we would've drafted one slot higher in front of San Francisco. That's also who I wanted in that draft and I think the Bills were probably going to draft him. We had a huge need for a LB then and we still do. Instead we ended up with Lynch.

Imagine if we could've ended up with Willis and then didn't screw the pooch on the Maybin pick and drafted Orakpo instead. We would have a heck of a LB tandem and our pass rush and defense would be pretty good right now. That's the Bills for you though.

So for some who think a couple spots in the draft doesn't make a difference if you end up winning a meaningless game late in the season just take a look at 2007. Would you rather have had Willis or Lynch? Lets just hope nothing like that happens this year after the meaningless win against the Broncos.

Mahdi
01-13-2012, 09:07 AM
For all those saying Willis. Its obviously a good choice, one of the top 5 defensive players in football.

BUT, how does he help our pass rush?

EDS
01-13-2012, 09:39 AM
For all those saying Willis. Its obviously a good choice, one of the top 5 defensive players in football.

BUT, how does he help our pass rush?

In a number of ways I think. His presence improves the team defense overall both in defending the run (range and instincts) and the pass (range and cover skills). His coverage skills certaintly will help give our pass rushers some additional time.

In general though he is just too good a player to pass up and is exactly the type of guy you want to build a defense around in todays NFL.

After Willis, pass rusher is the obvious way to go for the Bills defense, and I would want one of the elit pass rushers even before another stud like Revis or Ngata just because of the dire pass rushing need.

psubills62
01-13-2012, 10:53 AM
If only we would've drafted one slot higher in front of San Francisco. That's also who I wanted in that draft and I think the Bills were probably going to draft him. We had a huge need for a LB then and we still do. Instead we ended up with Lynch.

Imagine if we could've ended up with Willis and then didn't screw the pooch on the Maybin pick and drafted Orakpo instead. We would have a heck of a LB tandem and our pass rush and defense would be pretty good right now. That's the Bills for you though.

So for some who think a couple spots in the draft doesn't make a difference if you end up winning a meaningless game late in the season just take a look at 2007. Would you rather have had Willis or Lynch? Lets just hope nothing like that happens this year after the meaningless win against the Broncos.
Yeah, it sucks, but the thing is that even if you miss out on a great player that doesn't mean we should be this awful. We've simply whiffed on a LOT of the guys that we've drafted, period.

wozrob11
01-13-2012, 05:03 PM
2 words TIM TEBOW

Johnny Bugmenot
01-13-2012, 05:30 PM
If pigs could fly, the Bills would be in the Super Bowl. Heck, if any of the aforementioned names were in Bills uniforms, they'd be sitting at home, nursing some catastrophic injury like the rest of the team. Get over it, folks.

BillsFever21
01-13-2012, 05:51 PM
Yeah, it sucks, but the thing is that even if you miss out on a great player that doesn't mean we should be this awful. We've simply whiffed on a LOT of the guys that we've drafted, period.

Of course it takes more then one player but that scenario definitely would've helped us. Unfortunately for the Bills we have whiffed on most of our 1st, 2nd and 3rd round players in the past decade. None of them were great players, a few couldn't even start or get on the field and a couple more were just average starters at best. The only good ones we've really got were Wood and Levitre.

Hopefully that chain will be broken with Spiller, Dareus, Williams and Sheppard. Troupe has already been a complete waste and probably won't be anything. The rest of the 2010 draft looks like a waste too. Carrington is average at best and if we're lucky he will be an average starter or good depth and Easley hasn't even been able to see a regular season game yet. Spiller is our only hope to salvage something out of that draft. Hopefully our 2011 draft doesn't end up the same along with our upcoming draft. That's why we have sucked for over a decade though.

better days
01-13-2012, 05:55 PM

Well, two teams with the SAME record as the Bills are drafting ahead of Buffalo. Let's hope they don't draft someone we WANT.

YardRat
01-13-2012, 07:02 PM

We still could've had Revis.

BillsFever21
01-13-2012, 07:20 PM
We still could've had Revis.
Yeah wouldn't that have been nice. I think the Bills were focused on Willis and of course they tried to outsmart themselves and thought they needed another RB and screwed the pooch.

Most likely Revis would've been gone after this year. I doubt Wilson would've dished out the money it took to sign him before his rookie contract was even up like the Jets did when he held out after outperforming his contract.

All of these scenarios and other statement in this thread and others is just a great example of why we have sucked for 12 straight years. The Bills always screw up their draft and can't evaluate college talent.

Then most of the time when we do get a decent one they don't want to pay the money out to keep them around. They would rather sign mid-tier guys like Kelsay for 6 million a year instead of committing twice that much money for a top notch positional player.

YardRat
01-13-2012, 07:34 PM
Yeah wouldn't that have been nice. I think the Bills were focused on Willis and of course they tried to outsmart themselves and thought they needed another RB and screwed the pooch.

Most likely Revis would've been gone after this year. I doubt Wilson would've dished out the money it took to sign him before his rookie contract was even up like the Jets did when he held out after outperforming his contract.

All of these scenarios and other statement in this thread and others is just a great example of why we have sucked for 12 straight years. The Bills always screw up their draft and can't evaluate college talent.

Then most of the time when we do get a decent one they don't want to pay the money out to keep them around. They would rather sign mid-tier guys like Kelsay for 6 million a year instead of committing twice that much money for a top notch positional player.

I can't argue against that, you're probably right.

mjt328
01-14-2012, 02:43 PM
I'm a big believer in building a strong pass rush - then worrying about upgrading the defensive backs.

With that said, I don't think you can find a better or more consistent pass rusher than DeMarcus Ware.

Jared Allen is a pretty close second.

Jason Pierre-Paul was a popular choice, but I would like to see him put together another season playing at this level first.

Mad Max
01-14-2012, 09:20 PM
If we had an organization that wasn't completely and utterly clueless, we wouldn't have to play what-if games like this. All they had to do was not Fk up absolute no brainer picks like...off the top of my head Ngata and Orakpo.

bflojohn
01-14-2012, 09:32 PM
Realistically, the guy for me is Mario Williams because he probably wants to return to a 4-3 alignment, and can be had in free agency. The Texans were #2 in defense, mostly without him, so I think signing him would bolster the pass rush expotentially!! Heck, he had 5 sacks in 5 games for Houston, and Dareus was our sack master with 5.5 over 15 games. Besides, he is entering his prime at 26 years of age folks. I'd even trade the #10 pick for a stud like him. Imagine Dareus, K. Williams, and M.Williams up front, you or I could play the opposite end and succeed as a team!

Bert102176
01-14-2012, 09:57 PM
patrick Willis followed very closely by Suh

Bert102176
01-14-2012, 09:58 PM
If we had an organization that wasn't completely and utterly clueless, we wouldn't have to play what-if games like this. All they had to do was not Fk up absolute no brainer picks like...off the top of my head Ngata and Orakpo.

thank you

Bert102176
01-14-2012, 10:03 PM
Well, two teams with the SAME record as the Bills are drafting ahead of Buffalo. Let's hope they don't draft someone we WANT.

any of the true top talent we need will be gone by pick 5, Luck, Blackman, RGIII or Kalil

Mr. Pink
01-14-2012, 10:04 PM

And taking Mangold instead of McCargo when we traded up.

Hell, almost everyone I know thought they were trading up to select Mangold and I still remember the people I watched that draft with all had that WTF moment when McCargo was announced as the pick.