PDA

View Full Version : F.C.C. May Move to End N.F.L. Blackouts

BLeonard
01-13-2012, 11:49 AM
http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/01/12/f-c-c-may-move-to-end-n-f-l-blackouts/?ref=football

On Thursday, the Federal Communications Commission took a step that may lead to the elimination of all sports blackouts, of which the N.F.L.’s are the most notable. The commission said it was seeking public comment on eliminating its own rules that have effectively backstopped league policies by prohibiting cable and satellite operators from carrying a game already blacked out by local broadcast stations.

Frederick anticipates that the N.F.L. and other leagues will oppose the elimination of the F.C.C.’s rules by saying that blackouts are a financial necessity.

“That’s fine if they want to make the case that they are economically dependent on these blackouts to stay in business, which is not the case,” he said. “Anybody who looks at the sports business knows that their main source of revenue is television, not tickets.”

The interest groups argued in their petition that the F.C.C’s blackout rule “supports antifan, anticonsumer behavior by professional sports leagues.”

They added: “The leagues are at the root of the problem because they currently charge exorbitant prices for tickets, which in turn results in lower attendance. The leagues then punish fans by blacking out games from television because a few seats remain unsold.”

-Bill

BLeonard
01-13-2012, 12:06 PM
Bigger fish to fry:

http://www.usdebtclock.org/

How exactly is the FCC responsible for the debt...?

-Bill

OpIv37
01-13-2012, 12:07 PM
20 years overdue, at least.

Jeff1220
01-13-2012, 12:16 PM
:clap: The blackout rules are pretty ridiculous. It's about time they took this step. If a team is doing what it needs to do to compete, the fans will show up (unless your team is in Florida or LA). If the team is doing what the Bills have done over the past 12 years, the threat of a blackout is not going to fill the stadium.

ddaryl
01-13-2012, 12:21 PM
one could argue that the NFL is becoming monopolistic by making huge money on TV and then blacking out games ot entice fans to spend more money on tickets so they can make even more ridiculous money.

then there is the whole PSL debacle

OpIv37
01-13-2012, 12:27 PM
The Government needs to focus on fixing the economy more, not if we watch an NFL game on TV or not.

The FCC doesn't have the authority or jurisdiction to do much about the economy, if anything at all.

Are you suggesting that we just shut down all gov't agencies not directly related to the economy until the economy is fixed?

The fact that the economy has problems doesn't change the fact that other problems still exist. There's no reason why the FCC can't fix this problem while other areas of the government work on the economy.

BLeonard
01-13-2012, 12:32 PM
The Government needs to focus on fixing the economy more, not if we watch an NFL game on TV or not.

If this were Congress, I might agree... But the FCC has little to no power over the economy.

-Bill

Jeff1220
01-13-2012, 12:35 PM
one could rgue that the NFL is becoming monopolistic by making huge money on TV and then blacking out games ot entice fans to spend more money on tickets so they can make even more ridiculous money.

then there is the whole PSL debacle

PSLs are a whole other level of greed. People are paying thousands of dollars for the rights to buy something else. It's crazy! But, I guess as long as people are willing to fork over the cash it'll continue.

OpIv37
01-13-2012, 12:39 PM
PSLs are a whole other level of greed. People are paying thousands of dollars for the rights to buy something else. It's crazy! But, I guess as long as people are willing to fork over the cash it'll continue.

Hey man, you're making PSL's sound worse than they are. For the thousands of dollars, not only do you get the opportunity to spend thousands more on season tickets, you get first dibs on those seats for other events. You'll be able to buy Garth Brooks and Black Eyed Peas tickets before it sells out!

ddaryl
01-13-2012, 12:41 PM

Dude do you realize how ridiculous you sound spouting this crap here.

The FCC is broadcasting only. The Federal Communication Commision. What does the FCC have to do with th economy

Congress is the only entity that can do that... and Congress is to busy fighting for Agendas and personal gain.

Skooby
01-13-2012, 12:50 PM
Dude do you realize how ridiculous you sound spouting this crap here.

The FCC is broadcasting only. The Federal Communication Commision. What does the FCC have to do with th economy

Congress is the only entity that can do that... and Congress is to busy fighting for Agendas and personal gain.

All deleted, carry on.

ddaryl
01-13-2012, 12:52 PM
The FCC is a waste of resources, use more of their budget for something relevant.

(too late already quoted you)

Wow? You have no idea what you are saying.

There are a tremendous amounts of wireless signals being used in this nation, AM and FM broadcasting, cellular phones, tv, GPS, etc... etc...etc...

who is going to help organized what bands are used for what, or do you believe that we all should be able to broadcast our own radio station at any frequency we so choose and block others from broadcasting because we don't like what they say.

that is only a small part of what they do as well. Someone has to be responsible for organizing the communications across this nation.

The FCC has a purpose, and no the funds would not be better served for something else.

trapezeus
01-13-2012, 01:03 PM
the nfl should have less of an issue because:

1. the majority of their revenues come from TV deal.
2. those tv deals happen because viewership is sky high and advertising rates are high.
3. have people cutting back on sports bars and watching from home could increase the numbers of viewers on whatever scale they use (ie. neilsens)
4. this means that the next deal could be much higher since ad rates will be much higher.

but

because large corporations seem to hate any change and would rather pay twice the amount to lobby changes than just adapt and profit from being smart (exactly why we pay CEO's the big money in the first place), they will fight this tooth and nail.

For other sports without great tv deals like the NHL, this could be more problematic.

but i'm just impressed that a government agency has gone to bat for the majority of the people. typically we just get lip service and then nothing is done that favors us.

however, the cynical side of me thinks that the FCC is just pumping money out of the NFL. They put this story out there, the lobbyists come out, the FCC gets some kickbacks here and there and then all of a suddent he story goes away.

Night Train
01-13-2012, 01:08 PM
Time Warner will partner with the NFL to drop every channel that carries NFL games.

stuckincincy
01-13-2012, 01:09 PM
Bigger fish to fry:

http://www.usdebtclock.org/

Hope and change.

Last I saw, it was ticking along at $46,000+ per second.

I take a 50 cent senior coffee at a local Mc'D's in the morning, and shake my head in sorrow at the youngsters whose backs will be broken, and the oldsters who are now being thrown under the bus after serving their purpose.

But they chose to pull that particular lever. Lever - isn't that an anachronism that betrays my age?

History has been purged from education and upbringing. Such a change. In my day, we read things like the Communist Manifesto, the Meditations of Marcus Aurelius, the Autobiography of Ben Franklin, Jefferson, Dickens, Twain, Aquinas, Fielding, Whitehead, Thoreau, James,
E.B. White, supreme court opinions and on and on.

There was a time when the Bflo. Public school system was considered a gem of the Nation. Now we are a Nation drunk on HDTV.

We actually studied geography, to learn about the world and broaden our view. Perhaps there is a geography app nowadays? :pimped:

Speaking of 'ole Ben, here's an excerpt from In Convention, Sept. 17 1787:

..."in these sentiments, Sir, I agree to this Constitution with all its faults, if they are such; because I think a general Government necessary for us, and there is no form of Government but what may be a blessing to the people if well administered, and believe farther that this is likely to be well administered for a course of years, and can only end in Despotism, as other forms have done before it, when the people shall become so corrupted as to need despotic Government, being incapable of any other."

Ben was quite the visionary, eh?

So there you have it - I'm just as capable of roaming far and wide as the Tebow Hater's society is. : - }}}

n.b.: Edited for punctuation.

better days
01-13-2012, 01:19 PM
:clap: The blackout rules are pretty ridiculous. It's about time they took this step. If a team is doing what it needs to do to compete, the fans will show up (unless your team is in Florida or LA). If the team is doing what the Bills have done over the past 12 years, the threat of a blackout is not going to fill the stadium.

Good post, but exclude Tampa from the Fla teams. When the Bucs are competitive, people go to the games in Tampa. But unless the Glazers show a commitment to provide a competitive team, they won't go.

stuckincincy
01-13-2012, 01:28 PM
Time Warner will partner with the NFL to drop every channel that carries NFL games.

Or the NFL might agree to offer NFL Network on a PPV basis for those who want it. T-W balks at raising all their subscriber's rates so a minority can get their personal yucks subsidized by folks who don't give a flying F about NFL games.

The NFL doesn't agree to something so simple as a PPV tier, because they want their product on standard cable so guarantee more market penetration - more advertising dollars.

If these "Occupy" folks want to do something good, I suggest they rail on about the greed of the NFL, rail on about the sector of fans that think others should be fleeced for their personal likes, and toss in the NCAA while they are at it. :pimped:

There are opera fans out there. Why not charge all cable subscribers for access to the "Opera Channel"? That's as dumb as charging non-NFL fans for something that they just don't want.

ThunderGun
01-13-2012, 01:52 PM
(too late already quoted you)

Wow? You have no idea what you are saying.

There are a tremendous amounts of wireless signals being used in this nation, AM and FM broadcasting, cellular phones, tv, GPS, etc... etc...etc...

who is going to help organized what bands are used for what, or do you believe that we all should be able to broadcast our own radio station at any frequency we so choose and block others from broadcasting because we don't like what they say.

that is only a small part of what they do as well. Someone has to be responsible for organizing the communications across this nation.

The FCC has a purpose, and no the funds would not be better served for something else.

He clearly has no idea what the FCC is or does.....but he can confidently say that they are a waste of resources. lol.

Johnny Bugmenot
01-13-2012, 02:43 PM
The blackouts are perhaps the only thing that could possibly pry weak teams like the Bills from clingy, but equally weak markets like Buffalo. Buffalo's ratings are huge, even when this team's playing like crud. But does that translate into revenue for CBS? No. Because the Bills fans only want their Bills for free. They won't pay. If they won't pay for tickets, why will they pay for the stuff you advertise? It's like Glenn Beck's TV show-- with no sponsors, it doesn't matter how much you have in viewers, you're not making money. Especially at the fees the NFL is making.

I support the blackout rule. In fact, I've supported the idea of total blackout-- if a team doesn't sell out, and the away team didn't sell out their last home game, then nobody televises the game-- as a way to discourage piracy. Ticket sales are the best indicator of a local market's support of an NFL team. When a team's not selling, they are doing something wrong, and there need to be negative consequences in order to shock the team into fixing those mistakes-- or selling to someone who will.

trapezeus
01-13-2012, 02:49 PM
The blackouts are perhaps the only thing that could possibly pry weak teams like the Bills from clingy, but equally weak markets like Buffalo. Buffalo's ratings are huge, even when this team's playing like crud. But does that translate into revenue for CBS? No. Because the Bills fans only want their Bills for free. They won't pay. If they won't pay for tickets, why will they pay for the stuff you advertise? It's like Glenn Beck's TV show-- with no sponsors, it doesn't matter how much you have in viewers, you're not making money. Especially at the fees the NFL is making.

I support the blackout rule. In fact, I've supported the idea of total blackout-- if a team doesn't sell out, and the away team didn't sell out their last home game, then nobody televises the game-- as a way to discourage piracy. Ticket sales are the best indicator of a local market's support of an NFL team. When a team's not selling, they are doing something wrong, and there need to be negative consequences in order to shock the team into fixing those mistakes-- or selling to someone who will.

there will always be a 32nd rank team. the lower ranked teams don't want to lose the ability to make money because they suck for a season.

and that's a bit of a stretch that people who refuse to pay to see a perpetual sub .500 team don't spend money on anything.

stuckincincy
01-13-2012, 02:57 PM
Ticket sales are the best indicator of a local market's support of an NFL team. When a team's not selling, they are doing something wrong, and there need to be negative consequences in order to shock the team into fixing those mistakes-- or selling to someone who will.

Indeed. CIN had a large run of blackouts, and record low attendance since the Brown family was handed a free stadium. As I understand it, blackouts are supposed to energize the ticket-buying public, but that proved false. Even in the face of a highly improbable yet factual 6 and 2 start.

Brown weaseled around, the main thrust assigning blame to the state of the economy. The fact that his business product has been a steaming pile of dog doo since he took over in 1990 was only mentioned in brief.

Forward_Lateral
01-13-2012, 03:01 PM
Blackouts are a classic case of the tail wagging the dog. These HUGE television companies are allowing the NFL to tell them what they can broadcast even after they paid billions to the NFL for broadcasting rights?

bf1
01-13-2012, 03:04 PM
The NFL is the most fan/customer-unfriendly business I can think of. The only reason for their success is the popularity of the sport itself. I hate with a passion when I hear people praise the NFL for their great marketing.

Forward_Lateral
01-13-2012, 03:07 PM
The NFL is very well marketed. It's not marketing that's an issue, it's customer (fan) relations. They don't give a flying crap about fans. They care about one thing. Money. That's it. The NFL is the biggest monopoly in the US, and is the greediest organization in the world.

bf1
01-13-2012, 03:14 PM
The NFL is very well marketed. It's not marketing that's an issue, it's customer (fan) relations. They don't give a flying crap about fans. They care about one thing. Money. That's it. The NFL is the biggest monopoly in the US, and is the greediest organization in the world.

The marketing is not clever or cutting edge at all. They have a ton of money, so they have a ton of clout. I lot of the hype/excitement comes from the their advertisers.

Johnny Bugmenot
01-13-2012, 03:22 PM
Blackouts are a classic case of the tail wagging the dog. These HUGE television companies are allowing the NFL to tell them what they can broadcast even after they paid billions to the NFL for broadcasting rights?
You are absolutely right. Take a look at how much the last contract was for. Roughly $40 billion over the next ten years. That is the approximate resale value of the entire league! With the money they're dumping into the NFL, they could OWN the NFL and never have to pay rights fees again. Or they could at least pick off a few existing NFL franchises and invest in a new competing league with the NFL "defectors" as its cornerstones. (A new league from scratch would be difficult, and NBC tried and failed with the XFL, although they only invested a small fraction of what they're investing in the NFL now. There needs to be some tradition.)

Forward_Lateral
01-13-2012, 03:32 PM
BF1, think about it. The NFL is the most successful sport, by far, and the most watched in the US. Their marketing might not be cutting edge, but whatever they are doing, works.

Let's not forget fantasy football, which brought a whole new aspect of being a fan when it became big. You don't think the NFL had anything to do with that? That's pretty brilliant way to market your product, if you ask me.

I'll call the NFL a lot of things. Poorly marketed isn't one of them.

better days
01-13-2012, 06:02 PM

I never had Time Warner, we have Comcast down here. Trust me, they are just as bad. Thank God for Directv. Anyone that can get it, as a LONG time sub I highly recomend DTV. Or if you can get FIOS, EITHER is BETTER than Cable.

better days
01-13-2012, 06:23 PM
BF1, think about it. The NFL is the most successful sport, by far, and the most watched in the US. Their marketing might not be cutting edge, but whatever they are doing, works.

Let's not forget fantasy football, which brought a whole new aspect of being a fan when it became big. You don't think the NFL had anything to do with that? That's pretty brilliant way to market your product, if you ask me.

I guess it depends on your definition of successful. The NFL is making TONS on Money so it is successful in that respect.

On the other hand, they restrict the Sunday ticket to Directv which many people do not get, that is poor marketing IMO. And even if you have the Ticket & your home team is blacked out on local channels, you can't get it on the ticket either. When you pay for the TICKET you should be able to see EVERY game. Poor marketing IMO.

mikemac2001
01-13-2012, 06:29 PM
i have not missed one game due to blackout...ill find a way to be there or watch it

its a dumb rule that hurts fans who could enjoy watching there team a few more times a year.

bf1
01-13-2012, 06:49 PM

I never said they were poorly marketed. They just don't deserve the praise they get. I think the sport itself is insanity popular not only because of the NFL. And no I don't think the nfl had one single thing to do with fantasy football. But that is a great example of someone else doing their promotion for them.

YardRat
01-13-2012, 07:20 PM

MLB actually was the initial source for fantasy sports, and in-depth stat-geekiness in general.

BillsFever21
01-13-2012, 07:44 PM
They might sell a small percentage of tickets to fans who will buy a ticket because they can't see the game on television but for the most part people who buy tickets to the game go because they want the experience of seeing the game live.

I'd venture to guess that late in the season when a team is out of it there is hardly anybody who will buy a ticket because the game is going to be blacked out. Maybe early in the season if the game didn't sell out they might but not many in a meaningless game.

That would be great if they lifted the blackout rule. At the very least give you an option of purchasing the game through your cable or satellite provider for a small charge. I would pay $5 to watch the game if it was blacked out as would many other people. If they were worried about losing some ticket sales then the thousands of households who might pay the $5 give or take to see the game would make up for most if not all of it.

If not that then at least air the game tape delayed later in the day or the next day so you can still watch the game. It's not the same as watching it live but at least you can still see it.

Having this blackout rule is ridiculous and hurts older people who can't attend the games or people who just can't afford to, doesn't like the crowd and would rather watch from home or people who can't make the travel that is within the blackout radius.

The NFL makes the most money but they are the only sports league that does this load of crap. Also what's better for the TV station in that local market who was going to view the game being able to still get ratings or airing an infomercial instead like they usually do. CBS or FOX pays billions of dollars for the rights to air the games but then they have to blackout the game in local markets that doesn't sell out and lose out on the advertising money and ratings they would've received from it.

I don't know if this is possible for the FCC or the government to make the league or a company do it. Many people complain about government interfering with the free market even if it's clearly better for the consumer or worker in the end. I guess it depends on whether it benefits the individual or not.

Bert102176
01-14-2012, 09:43 PM
I absolutely hate not being able to watch a Bills game but atleast when I can afford a ticket I can Go to the Game I just want for the people in nursing homes and other places like that, that can't go to games to be able to watch the games

better days
01-15-2012, 09:07 AM
They might sell a small percentage of tickets to fans who will buy a ticket because they can't see the game on television but for the most part people who buy tickets to the game go because they want the experience of seeing the game live.

I'd venture to guess that late in the season when a team is out of it there is hardly anybody who will buy a ticket because the game is going to be blacked out. Maybe early in the season if the game didn't sell out they might but not many in a meaningless game.

That would be great if they lifted the blackout rule. At the very least give you an option of purchasing the game through your cable or satellite provider for a small charge. I would pay $5 to watch the game if it was blacked out as would many other people. If they were worried about losing some ticket sales then the thousands of households who might pay the $5 give or take to see the game would make up for most if not all of it.

If not that then at least air the game tape delayed later in the day or the next day so you can still watch the game. It's not the same as watching it live but at least you can still see it.

Having this blackout rule is ridiculous and hurts older people who can't attend the games or people who just can't afford to, doesn't like the crowd and would rather watch from home or people who can't make the travel that is within the blackout radius.

The NFL makes the most money but they are the only sports league that does this load of crap. Also what's better for the TV station in that local market who was going to view the game being able to still get ratings or airing an infomercial instead like they usually do. CBS or FOX pays billions of dollars for the rights to air the games but then they have to blackout the game in local markets that doesn't sell out and lose out on the advertising money and ratings they would've received from it.

I don't know if this is possible for the FCC or the government to make the league or a company do it. Many people complain about government interfering with the free market even if it's clearly better for the consumer or worker in the end. I guess it depends on whether it benefits the individual or not.

Well, if they are going to show the games, they should not charge an extra $5. The NFL makes enough money from the networks as it is.

GREAT point about showning the games on a delayed basis. They have been doing that with preseason games for years.