Could we use FJ to move up the draft ladder ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Skooby
    Skoobasaurus-Rex
    • Oct 2011

Could we use FJ to move up the draft ladder ??

I'd like to have a shot at one of the top 3 picks, do you think that it's possible to move up with Fred Jackson & our first round pick??
  • Pinkerton Security
    Pinkerton's son
    • Feb 2006

Re: Could we use FJ to move up the draft ladder ??

with the caliber of players that are gonna be there (namely Luck and RGIII), I highly doubt it...the Giants give up insane amount to move up and get Eli. Idk if there have been people moving up to #3 from somewhere like our position, but i'd bet they gave up more than a player in the trade.

Comment

• Jeff1220
      H to the 12:20
      • Jul 2002

Idk. More like FJ, 2012 1st, 2012 2nd, and 2013 1st.

(*I used no point formula in coming up w/these figures)

Comment

• MitchMurrayDowntown
        Skoobasaurus-Rex
        • Oct 2011

Originally posted by Jeff1220
        Idk. More like FJ, 2012 1st, 2012 2nd, and 2013 1st.

(*I used no point formula in coming up w/these figures)
        I could see this being the case for Luck.

Comment

• THE END OF ALL DAYS
          The Allen Era has begun.... no looking back now, come hell or high water!
          • Feb 2005

worthless speculation
          bills will NEVER trade up to get a qb in this draft
          IT WILL NOT HAPPEN
          In my day we did not have self-esteem... we had self-respect, and no more of it then we earned.

Comment

• Buddo
            • Mar 2007

Worthless speculation is something I'd agree on, but not necessarily for the same reasons.

FJ is a highly valuable commodity - to the Bills. No other team in the NFL needs a RB so badly that they would give us anything remotely resembling a pick we could use to move up a single place in the first round of the draft, imho.

Any chance that the OP could try for some sort of realism in starting threads?

With the new 'rookie cap', all of a sudden, the top few draft picks are going to be very costly to move up to. Teams are no longer worried about using the pick due to not having to fork out the sort of money they did previously, where a couple of top picks could easily have a team teetering on the brink of cap hell.

ATM, it seems there are only 2 bona fide QB prospects worth a 1st round pick, and enough teams ahead of us who will want one, for us to have a slim to no chance of moving up to get one of them, and slim just left town.

Like it or not, Fitz will be the Bills QB going into next season. It's not rocket science to see that.

While not gospel, that chart gives an indication of the possible cost of moving up the draft. To get to the #3 overall, the bills would have to give up all of their picks through to, and including, the 5th round. I'm accounting for the additional 4th rounder in that as well. As I stated earlier, to make that sort of move, would also likely involve a 'premium' as well, as it'll probably be a 'bidding war', and the team with the #3 pick, will be under a great deal less strain about using it than in the past.

Comment

• better days
              • Jan 2010

The Bills best bet is to follow the Packers philosophy & keep drafting QBs when they see one of value at the pick until they hit on one.

The Packers drafted Brohm in the 2nd rnd & Flynn in the 7th rnd in the same year. Both while they had Rodgers. With Flynn leaving this year, I will bet anything the Pack draft at least one QB this year.

Comment

• PTI
                Banned
                • Jan 2011

Originally posted by better days
                The Bills best bet is to follow the Packers philosophy & keep drafting QBs when they see one of value at the pick until they hit on one.

The Packers drafted Brohm in the 2nd rnd & Flynn in the 7th rnd in the same year. Both while they had Rodgers. With Flynn leaving this year, I will bet anything the Pack draft at least one QB this year.
                They might even take a QB in round 2 or 3.

Comment

• Mindbender
                  • Apr 2010

What's with this idea of trading Freddy Jackson? It's this simple: He is one of our best players. Teams don't get better by trading away their best players.
                  "Talk is cheap, we all know that. It's like I've always said, don't tell me about the labor pains, just show me the baby. That's what we've got to do. We've got to show you the baby, and the baby is winning." ~Buddy Nix

Comment

• BillsFever21
                    • Aug 2004

[quote=Buddo]

With the new 'rookie cap', all of a sudden, the top few draft picks are going to be very costly to move up to. Teams are no longer worried about using the pick due to not having to fork out the sort of money they did previously, where a couple of top picks could easily have a team teetering on the brink of cap hell.[quote=Buddo]

That's exactly what I was going to point out too. Before last year it costs so much to sign Top 5 draft picks that most teams didn't even want to move up because of the large amount of guaranteed money they would have to pay the unproven player.

Unless on rare occasions when a team really wanted a player they thought could get them over the hump or a QB they thought was going to be a franchise one trades just didn't happen. It wasn't worth the draft picks they would have to give up and the money they would have to spend to sign the player.

There were so many times teams couldn't even basically give away a #1 pick let alone a Top 5 pick just on the cost alone. Now that you can get a Top 5 player for about 5 million a year or so on average more teams are going to want to move up and more teams will want to stay.

With more teams wanting to move up it's going to cost them even more in compensation now not to mention teams being more content on staying there for a player they like since it won't cost them 50 million dollars to sign them anymore.

If you are trying to get a team to trade out of a spot where there is a player they like you are going to have to seriously overwhelm them to give away the player or take the chance on not being able to get that player in the lower spot they are trading into.

The new rookie cap is great for the game since teams can actually want to and afford to use that Top 5 draft pick. If you want it you are going to have to shell out even more then you had to several years ago.

Comment

• TigerJ
                      • Jul 2002

Fred Jackson is on the wrong side of 30 to have any significant worth in a trade. He's not going to get you very far up in the draft order from #10 by himself.
                      I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• THRILLHO
                        This is great, and all I've done is enter my name!
                        • Feb 2009

Yes, because teams want a running back north of 30, getting off a season ending injury. That story always has happy endings.
                        True fans want wins, not draft picks.

Comment

• Mr. Miyagi
                          Lecter's Little Bitch

• Sep 2002

Originally posted by MitchMurrayDowntown
                          I'd like to have a shot at one of the top 3 picks, do you think that it's possible to move up with Fred Jackson & our first round pick??
                          Thank GOD you're not our GM.

Comment

• EricStratton
                            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by TigerJ
                            Fred Jackson is on the wrong side of 30 to have any significant worth in a trade. He's not going to get you very far up in the draft order from #10 by himself.

Fred Jackson, to another team, is more of a Move from round 6 to round 5 type of player for that reason.

He is on the wrong side of 30 and his season ended with a leg injury. Those are not exactly desirable traits.

Comment

• MitchMurrayDowntown
                              Skoobasaurus-Rex
                              • Oct 2011

Originally posted by Mr. Miyagi
                              Thank GOD you're not our GM.
                              Lol, we're going nowhere without young talent.

Comment

Working...
                              X