PDA

View Full Version : Sunbeam/DirecTV dispute costs Miami Fox affiliate

BLeonard
01-14-2012, 01:43 PM
Not really Bills related, per se, but I figured with the recent MSG/Sabres fiasco, coupled with the NFLN and Time Warner issues, people would be interested in reading about yet another dispute between a network and programming.

http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?t=209086

I wouldn't be surprised if you start seeing all sports programming on a PPV basis in the near future. Pretty bad that these million and billion dollar companies can't agree and, as a result, the fan gets screwed.

-Bill

Dujek
01-14-2012, 02:09 PM
All sports will go the route of on-demand/online services. NFL Gamepass, NHL Gamecenter and MLB TV are all brilliant services, and once TV deals expire in the US you will find that these services are rolled out across the US as well as internationally.

better days
01-14-2012, 04:22 PM
All sports will go the route of on-demand/online services. NFL Gamepass, NHL Gamecenter and MLB TV are all brilliant services, and once TV deals expire in the US you will find that these services are rolled out across the US as well as internationally.

Well, the NFL just signed a new deal with the broadcasters. I think the NFL makes much more money OTA than they would on any pay per view basis.

BillsFever21
01-14-2012, 05:24 PM
This has been happening a lot with stations. Just recently DirectTV almost dropped FX and other FOX channels over a pricing dispute. They were able to come to an agreement close to the deadline. For as much as DirectTV charges they shouldn't be losing any popular channels.

I guess that's what happens in today's age when every company is never satisfied and is trying to make every extra penny of profit they can and the consumer/workers is always the one to get the shaft with higher prices, decreased services or losing their jobs.

I know cable has dropped so many channels over the years it's not even funny. Especially ones like Time Warner. TV needs to adapt a system where you can just purchase the channels you want and that's it. It's either that or between the stations and themselves they are going to price themselves out of the market for most people. It already costs $100 a month for a normal package with the basic popular stations after you add in other fees and that's without any movie channels.

A lot of people already have started switching to online services and watching their favorite shows on the internet and more will be if this crap continues. You don't get them live but you can still watch them shortly after. Either that or people are just going with an antenna where they pick us the real basics and maybe 20 channels or so and it doesn't cost them anything.