PDA

View Full Version : Sources: NFL to mull coach-moves rule

Fitzpatrick'sbeard
01-14-2012, 03:23 PM
:shocked: actually I'm not

The NFL will look at that situation in the offseason and determine whether there needs to be a rule blocking coaches from making same-season moves from one franchise to another, league sources told ESPN Saturday.

A few clubs lodged complaints about how McDaniels, the offensive coordinator in St. Louis, was able to go from the last-place Rams to the first-place Patriots staff in a matter of days.

A league spokesman noted that the competition committee always discusses matters generated by clubs. Another league source noted that the NFL Coaches Association had pushed for the change that enables most coaches whose contracts expire to become available the second Tuesday after the assistant's season finale. The league source noted, however, "I'm not sure we ever contemplated the McDaniels scenario, and it will have to be discussed within the competition committee."

http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/2011/story/_/id/7461549/nfl-consider-rule-coach-moves-sources-say

Jaydog57
01-14-2012, 03:26 PM
If the Pats end up winning the Super Bowl (Heaven forbid), I would think that McDaniels has no reason to expect to get a ring.

YardRat
01-14-2012, 03:26 PM
If there's a way to push the envelope or outright break the rule, Belicheck will find it.

better days
01-14-2012, 03:35 PM
It would be stupid to change the rule because there is no way to stop a coach that has just been hired from giving his new team information.

The honor system does not work in sports, especially when people of Belichicks character are involved.

dogbyte
01-16-2012, 07:42 PM
McDainels has not been the coach of the Broncos for 1 1/2 years. Don't you think that John Fox and his OC have changed their playbook. The Pats needed a OC for next year and they liked their old OC. The Rams were happy to get out of McD's remainibg contract.

Historian
01-17-2012, 07:05 AM
Supply and demand....

CuseJetsFan83
01-17-2012, 12:26 PM
but see mcdaniels was the OC for st louis.... this year they faced the AFC NORTH, NFC EAST, and divisional games against seattle, sf, and arizona, as well as same position games against green bay, and new orleans (2nd in division in 2010)

that means in the 2011 season, they faced the following playoff teams:
BALTIMORE, PITTSBURGH, CINCY, GREEN BAY, SAN FRANCISCO, NEW ORLEANS, NY GIANTS

that is amazing. and i can see why the other teams might be wanting to find answers as to NE wanting an edge. i understand they wanted to have an OC in waiting for when o'brien departs for penn state. but, the nfl really needs to do something bout this... but if you think about it, is it really any different than teams scouting each other via siblings that coach, father/son tandems etc.

as stated above, the honor system in sports is non existant, which is a shame really