• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BLeonard
    BoB Sabermetrician
    • Jan 2003

Goodell: NFL to consider full-time officials, rules for coaching switches

"Consistency is exactly what every club wants, and I think every fan wants. You want consistency in the way rules are applied," Goodell said. "We are contemplating this offseason taking some of those officials from the field who are now part time -- they have other jobs -- and making a certain number of them, let's say 10, full time."

Goodell also told the fans the rules committee will examine whether teams should be allowed to hire assistant coaches who left other teams during the same season, as happened with New England and Josh McDaniels. He returned to the Patriots in time for the playoffs after spending the regular season with the St. Louis Rams.

"We've talked to several club executives. I'm not getting a lot of reaction from the other clubs that this is unfair. They don't seem to think it's a big issue," Goodell said. "But it's something we'll talk about."
    -Bill
  • Forward_Lateral
    • Mar 2004

Re: Goodell: NFL to consider full-time officials, rules for coaching switches

Make all the officials full time, and make them spend all summer watching film of their mistakes, missed calls and bad calls. Maybe that would eliminate SOME of the crappy officiating, which seemed to be worse than ever this year, across the league.

Comment

• ddaryl
      Everything I post is sexual inuendo
      • Jan 2005

9 billion dollar industry with part time referees.

This decision would've been great 30 years ago. Today you just shake your head and wonder what the hell the NFL has been thinking this whole time

Comment

• kingJofNYC
        • Sep 2009

Nothing will really change if they're full time. What are they going to do during their downtime, watching tape? Lipstick on a pig. Look we're doing something about this ****ty officiating, they're now paid year round to suck.

Comment

• dannyek71
          Drink Responsibly
          • Dec 2004

Don't the Pats already pay them full time?
          [

Comment

• kscdogbillsfan1221
            • Nov 2007

And apparently the packers. That non reversal of the fumble at the end of the first quarter was absolutely criminal
            I came.
            I saw.
            I conquered.

Comment

• zone
              No, look. I do mind. The Dude minds.
              • Oct 2003

Sad there needs to be rules put in place so the Patriots don't cheat. Classless origination that hides behind a plastic looking owner that exemplifies everything that is wrong with this country.
              www.blzbus.com

Comment

• Mr. Pink
                Peterman Sucks!
                • Mar 2006

The Pats getting McDaniels for the playoffs is absolutely meaningless. What edge does it give them? Or any other team for that matter?

Comment

• jamze132
                  Don’t hate…
                  • Jun 2003

Picking up an unemployed coach near the end of the season is the same as picking up an unemployed player.

Comment

• Johnny Bugmenot
                    Will not tolerate vandalism.
                    • Apr 2006

I don't see the players working 5 games a week, 50 weeks a year, for obvious reasons. The officials work the same schedule as the players. Yet the officials are called "part time" and the players are considered "full time?" It's all semantics. How are we going to implement full-time officials? Will they be working multiple games in a week? Contracted out to indoor and amateur leagues in the springtime?

Comment

• BillsfaninFL
                      • Jan 2012

Then there will be a referees union that will strike when they don't get as much money as they want.

Comment

• YardRat
                        Well, lookie here...
                        • Dec 2004

Originally posted by BillsfaninFL
                        Then there will be a referees union that will strike when they don't get as much money as they want.
                        Already is, and already did.
                        YardRat Wall of Fame
                        #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                        #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Mike13
                          • Aug 2005

Originally posted by Forward_Lateral
                          Make all the officials full time, and make them spend all summer watching film of their mistakes, missed calls and bad calls. Maybe that would eliminate SOME of the crappy officiating, which seemed to be worse than ever this year, across the league.
                          That would make too much logical sense. so naturally it wont happen.

Comment

• Scumbag College
                            • Oct 2002

Haven't they been talking about this for the past 20 years or so?

Have a bowel movement or get off of the commode already.
                            Remember Kevin Everett in your thoughts.

Vote Nader in 2008!

http://www.votenader.org/

Comment

• feldspar
                              • Mar 2007

FULL-TIME OFFICIALS...I've been saying this for YEARS.

I think they should be held accountable in some way if they make blatantly terrible calls, especially huge ones that cost games. I don't know, fine them or something. I'm sure you all saw that fumble in the Giants/Packers game...it was initially ruled a fumble on the field, then another official overturned that call, so it was ruled down by contact. It was challenged. The video evidence was 100% without a doubt conclusive that it was a FUMBLE, yet the ruling on the field was NOT overturned. Whoever made that ruling should be fined, or punished somehow. That's the example I can think of because it's fresh in my mind.

Comment

Working...
                              X