X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Forward_Lateral
    • Mar 2004

Instant Replay: What's the point?

What's the point of instant replay in the NFL? Everyone in the world, even Mike "I agree with every call the refs make" Pererra said that that was a fumble (When Jennings was ruled down and the Giants recovered). They challenge it, review it, and it's upheld? What's the point of replay anymore? I've seen at least a dozen of obvious calls that should've been overturned by replay, not overturned this year. With today's technology, HD and all the other capablities, replay should be damn near flawless. This is ridiculous. Instant replay needs to be revisited, tweeked, something.
  • Night Train
    Retired - On Several Levels
    • Jul 2005

Re: Instant Replay: What's the point?

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/16884491/goodell-nfl-to-consider-fulltime-officials-rules-for-coaching-switches "Consistency is exactly what every club wants, and I think every fan wants. You want consistency in the way rules are applied," Goodell said. "We are contemplating this offseason taking some of
    Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• better days
      • Jan 2010

Even when they get it right, replays take FOREVER. They should take place up in the booth, where scoring plays are now reviewed. There would be a much better chance they get it right & it would take MUCH less time.

It should be out of the stupid refs hands, they are the people that made the questionable call in the first place.

Comment

• THE END OF ALL DAYS
        The Allen Era has begun.... no looking back now, come hell or high water!
        • Feb 2005

Instant replay= feed conspiracy nuts
        In my day we did not have self-esteem... we had self-respect, and no more of it then we earned.

Comment

• better days
          • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Why so Serious?
          Instant replay= feed conspiracy nuts
          Ridiculous. Do you really think the Refs make the right call 100% of the time? If so you are a fool.

Comment

• THE END OF ALL DAYS
            • Feb 2005

Originally posted by better days
            Ridiculous. Do you really think the Refs make the right call 100% of the time? If so you are a fool.
            no,silly fellow I dont. but the nuts who claim the NFL is fixed love to point to failed replay calls.
            dont be such a richard
            Last edited by THE END OF ALL DAYS; 01-16-2012, 12:21 PM.
            In my day we did not have self-esteem... we had self-respect, and no more of it then we earned.

Comment

• Mr. Miyagi
              Lecter's Little *****

• Sep 2002

no, fool I dont. but the nuts who claim the NFL is fixed love to point to failed replay calls.
              dont be such a dick
              Attack the post not the poster.

Comment

• better days
                • Jan 2010

no, fool I dont. but the nuts who claim the NFL is fixed love to point to failed replay calls.
                dont be such a richard
                So should we do away with replay so conspiracy theorists can not point to failed replay calls?

I think it would be MUCH better to FIX replay so NOBODY can say the replay call was bad myself.

Comment

• THE END OF ALL DAYS
                  • Feb 2005

Better Day sorry for flaming you :)
                  no i dont see ANY way to completly remove human error. you can keep trying to FIX things but adding complexity just makes it worse. instant replay will always be at the mercy of camera angles and human interpretation.... you will never eliminate variables that will keep everyone happy. At least there is SOME ability to overturn an on field decision that in made in game speed but the constant drumbeat the officials are making calls to purposely decide a game is just nonsesne

Comment

• better days
                    • Jan 2010

Better Day sorry for flaming you :)
                    no i dont see ANY way to completly remove human error. you can keep trying to FIX things but adding complexity just makes it worse. instant replay will always be at the mercy of camera angles and human interpretation.... you will never eliminate variables that will keep everyone happy. At least there is SOME ability to overturn an on field decision that in made in game speed but the constant drumbeat the officials are making calls to purposely decide a game is just nonsesne
                    I pretty much agree, but we are all human, refs included. I think it is only human nature to give a team you like the benifit of the doubt on close calls.

I think there is no question that replays could be determined much quicker up in the booth as scoring plays already are. The NFL would not have to change anything but to give officials up in the booth more power & take it away from the refs. I think there would be more correct calls made in that system as well.

And at the end of the year if it is determined a replay official made a certain percentage of bad calls, he should be fired.

Comment

• feldspar
                      • Mar 2007

My favorite thing is when everybody in the whole world, including the officials, know a bad call was made, yet the play isn't unreviewable. I'm talking about game-changing plays that unfairly HAND a team something huge while taking something HUGE away from the other team. The rules that allow such things need to be changed.

Also, the ruling on the field often decides which way these challenges go when there is inconclusive proof. We all know this.

As far as the non-fumble call in that Packers game, it's a crime.

Comment

• BLeonard
                        BoB Sabermetrician
                        • Jan 2003

A group of us that watch the Bills games at the bar were discussing this as well and one guy asked what I thought was a good question and a possible solution:

"Why not do it like the NHL?" They have an office where, if there is a controversial call, it gets sent to that office and the official there makes the decision.

Why not have Mike Pereira do that? It would certainly be interesting to see how many calls he "agrees with" then, as the blame for any screw ups would then be placed on his shoulders.

-Bill

Comment

• YardRat
                          Well, lookie here...
                          • Dec 2004

The NHL replay system isn't any better than the NFL's.

I think they've actually been doing a pretty good job with it in the playoffs, but that fumble in the Packer game was just so obvious it can't help but feed the 'fixed'-mongers.

Being too close to call is one thing.
                          Not being able to review it at all and getting screwed because of the rule is another.
                          But being able to review, and not showing even the tiniest hint of a shadow of a doubt is inexcusable.
                          YardRat Wall of Fame
                          #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                          #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• BLeonard
                            BoB Sabermetrician
                            • Jan 2003

Originally posted by YardRat
                            The NHL replay system isn't any better than the NFL's.

I think they've actually been doing a pretty good job with it in the playoffs, but that fumble in the Packer game was just so obvious it can't help but feed the 'fixed'-mongers.

Being too close to call is one thing.
                            Not being able to review it at all and getting screwed because of the rule is another.
                            But being able to review, and not showing even the tiniest hint of a shadow of a doubt is inexcusable.
                            The main difference would be, you'd get a third party, that isn't on the field for the game in question, making the call.

One thing that is hard for humans to do is admit their mistakes. Even referees can fall into this category. I would think a person removed from the situation would be more likely to say "No, that's the wrong call" as opposed to asking the guy who made the call to look at it and say "You know what? I was wrong."

Not saying it's an ideal solution, but taking it out of the people's hands that made the call initially, IMO, could help the process some.

-Bill
                            Last edited by BLeonard; 01-16-2012, 03:29 PM.

Comment

• BLeonard
                              BoB Sabermetrician
                              • Jan 2003

One other note. Something I would be in favor of, regarding referees, in any sport, for that matter:

Make them talk to the press.

Athletes and coaches have to make themselves available to the media at certain times, why shouldn't the officials? If a coach makes a boneheaded call, or a player screws up, they have to sit and face the wrath of the media. Why shouldn't officials?

-Bill

Comment

Working...
                              X