• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BLeonard
    BoB Sabermetrician
    • Jan 2003

Report: Rams hire Gregg Williams

The NFL Network reported Monday that the Saints' defensive coordinator, whose contract expired after the season, agreed to join Fisher in St. Louis. Williams has called Fisher one of his closest friends in the coaching business.

Former Rams head coach Steve Spagnuolo and Dolphins defensive coordinator Mike Nolan both are on New Orleans' short list of defensive coordinator candidates to replace Williams, league sources told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.
    That didn't take long...

-Bill
  • streetkings01
    • Jul 2006

Re: Report: Rams hire Gregg Williams

Spags would be a better fit in NO then Nolan. Spags is all 4-3.........Nolan is a 3-4 guy.......doubt the Saints wanna totally dismantle their defense.
    You can call me streetkings

Comment

• Johnny Bugmenot
      Will not tolerate vandalism.
      • Apr 2006

Amazing that Mularkey has another chance at a head coaching job while the much more highly regarded Williams still doesn't.

Comment

• better days
        • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Johnny Bugmenot
        Amazing that Mularkey has another chance at a head coaching job while the much more highly regarded Williams still doesn't.
        Williams is much more highly regarded as a DC than Mularkey is as a OC, As far as his reputaion as a HC, I think it is worse than Mularkeys.

Dan Snyder had Williams in place to take over as HC of the Skins when Gibbs retired. He paid him more money than a number of HCs were making. When Gibbs retired, instead of making Williams a HC, Snyder fired him. That should tell everyone something about Gregg.

Comment

• better days
          • Jan 2010

And Brian Schottenheimer is going to be the OC for the Rams. I think he is putting himself in a No win situation. The Rams are sure to lose but the defense will show a marked improvement under Williams so the offense will take the blame for the losses.

Comment

• MitchMurrayDowntown
            Skoobasaurus-Rex
            • Oct 2011

Originally posted by better days
            And Brian Schottenheimer is going to be the OC for the Rams. I think he is putting himself in a No win situation. The Rams are sure to lose but the defense will show a marked improvement under Williams so the offense will take the blame for the losses.
            This will be the case.

Comment

• The Jokeman
              • Dec 2003

Ironic that with the Titans (Fisher and Williams) lost their only Super Bowl to the Rams and are now reunited to both coach there in their same roles.

Comment

• Ickybaluky
                • Jul 2003

I could see them turning it around on offense pretty quickly if they fix their OL and get some receivers. The big thing is finding the QB, and they have a good one in Bradford. People forget Bradford was rookie-of-the year before the team fell apart last year.

Shottenheimer's first order of business will be to build an OL that can protect Bradford. They already have a good back in Stephen Jackson (who can still play, even if he is no longer in his prime) and a good, young TE in Lance Kendricks,

Then find a receiving core. They get Danny Amendola back, but Brandon Lloyd is a free agent and they have nothing else.

Still, having the QB is the most important part. I could see Shottenheimer doing pretty well there.

Comment

• Mike13
                  • Aug 2005

Looks like Miami may have dodged a bullet.

Comment

• better days
                    • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Ickybaluky
                    I could see them turning it around on offense pretty quickly if they fix their OL and get some receivers. The big thing is finding the QB, and they have a good one in Bradford. People forget Bradford was rookie-of-the year before the team fell apart last year.

Shottenheimer's first order of business will be to build an OL that can protect Bradford. They already have a good back in Stephen Jackson (who can still play, even if he is no longer in his prime) and a good, young TE in Lance Kendricks,

Then find a receiving core. They get Danny Amendola back, but Brandon Lloyd is a free agent and they have nothing else.

Still, having the QB is the most important part. I could see Shottenheimer doing pretty well there.
                    Well, last year Bradford started 10 games. One less than Tebow. 6TDs & 6 INTs. So why is Bradford considered a good QB & Tebow is not? Half the TDs Tebow threw & the same amount of INTs in only one less game.

Comment

• THE END OF ALL DAYS
                      The Allen Era has begun.... no looking back now, come hell or high water!
                      • Feb 2005

Well, last year Bradford started 10 games. One less than Tebow. 6TDs & 6 INTs. So why is Bradford considered a good QB & Tebow is not? Half the TDs Tebow threw & the same amount of INTs in only one less game.
                      Well it's obvious... Bradford doesn't pray openly... So you can't ridicule him as openly.
                      See..now we've turned it into a Tebow thread and will get punked.
                      In my day we did not have self-esteem... we had self-respect, and no more of it then we earned.

Comment

• Historian
                        2020-2023 AFC East Champions!
                        • Dec 2002

Originally posted by Johnny Bugmenot
                        They're both pieces of ****.

Comment

• ghz in pittsburgh
                          • Aug 2004

From what i understand, Gregg, after Washington, pretty much is viewed as having a weak personality and lack of people skills. He himself may know it as well and contend to be D coordinator.

Mularkey, on the other hand, is steady in striving for HC job. He may not have the expertise in his area like Gregg, but he definitely showed more leadership quality. Walking away from the Bills HC job is something I don't see Gregg ever do. Also consistently preaching the same thing after a 0- for 6 start is another traits that people looking for a leader, rightly or wrongly.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by ghz in pittsburgh

Mularkey, on the other hand, is steady in striving for HC job. He may not have the expertise in his area like Gregg, but he definitely showed more leadership quality. Walking away from the Bills HC job is something I don't see Gregg ever do. Also consistently preaching the same thing after a 0- for 6 start is another traits that people looking for a leader, rightly or wrongly.
                            He wasn't a leader here and the Falcons offensive players have come out and said they were tired of his offensive playcalling.
                            sacrifice1
                            https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• better days
                              • Jan 2010

Originally posted by justasportsfan
                              He wasn't a leader here and the Falcons offensive players have come out and said they were tired of his offensive playcalling.
                              I think the Jags owner hired Mularkey as a precurser to moving the team.

Mularkey will not put fans in the seats in Jax with either his name or wins. After a year or two of a continued empty stadium, ownership can say hey this City just does not support this team so we have to move to LA where it will be supported. He will get no flack from anyone because the Jags do not have a long history & they never have filled the Stadium.

Comment

Working...
                              X