PDA

View Full Version : covering Gronkowski

jack1022
01-17-2012, 02:00 PM
wouldn't the Bills wanna draft a player to cover Gronkowski.. Zach Brown?

ThunderGun
01-17-2012, 02:51 PM
I still can't believe they drafted Troup over him...

justasportsfan
01-17-2012, 02:56 PM
you can't simply cover Gronkwski without worrying about Welker and Hernandez. If you want them covered, you pressure Brady all day and hit him several times.

ParanoidAndroid
01-17-2012, 04:38 PM
Somehow I don't think it's a good idea to base your first round pick on what a single player from one other team can do.

Goobylal
01-17-2012, 04:54 PM
Why? They had a greater need at DT than TE, much less a TE who missed almost his entire senior season after back surgery.

YardRat
01-17-2012, 05:37 PM
Pound the piss out of Brady and Gronkowski becomes a non-factor.

better days
01-17-2012, 05:49 PM
Pound the piss out of Brady and Gronkowski becomes a non-factor.

The Ravens better do that Sunday if they want a shot at winning the game against the Pats*

The Jokeman
01-17-2012, 06:36 PM
The Ravens better do that Sunday if they want a shot at winning the game against the Pats*
No one's figuered out how to do it yet this season. I can't see the Ravens doing it either.

The last buffalo fan
01-17-2012, 07:08 PM
No one's figuered out how to do it yet this season. I can't see the Ravens doing it either.

They have one of the best DLine on my opinion and a couple of still good LBackers too. So my guess is they could and they will.

NOT THE DUDE...
01-17-2012, 10:23 PM

gronk is great, and should have been the pick, but his stats are greatly inflated with tom brady. if scott chandler played with brady, i bet he would catch 60 balls for 750 yds and 8 tds...

lets give troup some time. he was having a great offseason after a decent rookie year( a better rookie year than cody and joseph... hes very very strong and big, with solid technique. im confident he can make a big difference against the run next year.

Cali512
01-18-2012, 01:24 AM
Find a freakish 6-5 safety at some point in the draft like Robert Sands. Work his ass on coverage drills non stop. Put him at safety when Gronk is in and have Wilson shadow Hernandez and have Welker be guarded by Williams/Rodgers. If you work on one freakishly big safety that every draft usually has a couple of in the later rounds. And work on him non stop individually to cover tight ends then we will have pretty much a player we developed to cover TEs. Eventually its going to get to a time where you will get a new position on defense just to cover TEs.

Night Train
01-18-2012, 04:37 AM
Bills haven't been able to cover a TE since George Saimes retired.

MattyNH
01-18-2012, 02:18 PM
I am not sure he is coverable. Brady throws him the ball when is is blanketed and he sticks those big mitts in the air and catches the ball. There has been a huge movement to these giant athletic TE's that the Bills seem to don't think is worth while. But that movement has been for a simple reason, those guys produce very difficult matchups for the defense. I assume you will start to see taller Safeties as time goes on. So to the OP's point, I think the anser is yes but I am not sure that guy is available right now.

utmhead
01-18-2012, 02:32 PM
Find a freakish 6-5 safety at some point in the draft like Robert Sands. Work his ass on coverage drills non stop. Put him at safety when Gronk is in and have Wilson shadow Hernandez and have Welker be guarded by Williams/Rodgers. If you work on one freakishly big safety that every draft usually has a couple of in the later rounds. And work on him non stop individually to cover tight ends then we will have pretty much a player we developed to cover TEs. Eventually its going to get to a time where you will get a new position on defense just to cover TEs.

Really just put this "freak" safety when gronk is in the game, he played 98% of snaps this year. Only Brady played more.
Best TE in the leauge right now, you need to double Him and take away the middle of the field, that is the way you beat the Pats. Not an easy thing to do, that is what the Jets did last season.