• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BLeonard
    BoB Sabermetrician
    • Jan 2003

Scott Chandler May Be Difficult To Re-Sign

The Buffalo Bills only want to re-sign free agent-to-be tight end Scott Chandler at the right price - and that price could be rising quickly.

As an early indication that Nix knew what he was talking about, the Tennessee Titans signed a free agent tight end of their own - Craig Stevens - to a four-year, $15 million contract last Friday. Stevens, a 2008 third-round pick out of California, is known for his blocking, and has caught just 21 passes in his four-year career. In 2011, he caught nine passes for 166 yards and a touchdown.

Chandler is known more for his receiving than his blocking; he's coming off a break-out season of sorts in which he caught 38 passes for 389 yards and six touchdowns. Still, it's fair to say that Chandler is in roughly the same free agent tier as Stevens, though his numbers are an obvious advantage in terms of establishing an asking price.
    -Bill
  • Goobylal
    • Jan 2004

Re: Scott Chandler May Be Difficult To Re-Sign

There are better FA TE's out there. If they're looking at ~$4M/year for him, better to pay a better one a little more.

Comment

• YardRat
      Well, lookie here...
      • Dec 2004

I could see this front office ponying up 4mil per for Chandler, in all honesty.
      YardRat Wall of Fame
      #56 DARRYL TALLEY
      #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Dying_-2-_Live
        • Feb 2009

Originally posted by YardRat
        I could see this front office ponying up 4mil per for Chandler, in all honesty.
        I think thats a reasonable price for the first TE we've seen make an impact in a long time
        "If you ain't first... You're last"

Comment

• JCBills
          • Jan 2010

There are a few good and some decent TEs possibly available.

Jermichael Finley and Fred Davis are at the top of the heap, with Chandler not too far behing. Finley would be the most expensive of the bunch, but Davis and Chandler may command similar numbers. After that, John Carlson (a gamble, but if he's back, he is a complete TE) and Martellus Bennett are decent options. Carlson at 100% is probably almost as good as any of them.

Comment

• The Jokeman
            • Dec 2003

Originally posted by BLeonard
            Chandler's a solid depth TE who's TD total is helped in that he's a great red zone target. I can't see any team overspending to get him. Tony Scheffler, a backup in Detroit, put up similar numbers. So I'd keep him but explore improving the position and non better than Jermichael Finley. I am advocating we sign, that he is a Calvin Johnsonesque receive in he has size and seems to run through people. I'd love to see us get him yet to me he's the cream of the crop of UFA TEs. Yet that's unlikely so the best plan would be franchise Stevie, re-sign Chandler and find an #2 WR to play opposite Stevie. I brought up Legedu Naanee in another thread as he seems like a realistic option if spend the kind of money it take to keep Stevie and Chandler and bring another guy in.

That Fred Davis might be better than Finley but his late season suspension might scare teams off. Chandler might rank 3rd behind them as I haven't really looked at any lists. Yet JCBills brought up Carlson who's struggled at reproducing past success but is a solid guy who might be worth looking at if lose out on Chandler. Marellus Bennett is the type the Bills usually look at though as he's a guy they can overspend on but go on and on about unrealized potential because he was on the bench etc. but in the end proves he's nothing more than a bench guy just like Larry Tripplett, Spencer Johnson, Craig Nall etc.

Comment

• hemi13
              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Dying_-2-_Live
              I think thats a reasonable price for the first TE we've seen make an impact in a long time

I agree
              Bills Backers of Tucson

Comment

• better days
                • Jan 2010

If the Bills can keep Chandler at the right price GREAT, but if he wants money elite TEs make, the Bills might as well sign an elite TE instead or draft a guy out of College with the potential to be better than Chandler in the 3rd or 4th rnd & he will be MUCH cheaper.

Comment

• DBrown77
                  Watching the Bills suck since 1999
                  • Mar 2005

Finley drops everything! Did you know he was tweeting last year on the beach during a Packer playoff game?

Comment

• The Jokeman
                    • Dec 2003

Originally posted by DBrown77
                    Finley drops everything! Did you know he was tweeting last year on the beach during a Packer playoff game?
                    Good he'll draw some attention from Stevie's drops. In terms of the tweeting, I could care less he's a good/great player on the field, when he's off it I could care less what he's doing.

Comment

• DBrown77
                      • Mar 2005

Originally posted by The Jokeman
                      Good he'll draw some attention from Stevie's drops. In terms of the tweeting, I could care less he's a good/great player on the field, when he's off it I could care less what he's doing.
                      My point is that he is not a team player. If the Bills were in the playoffs and during a game a star player on IR was tweeting pics of him on the beach there would be a problem. His wife loves to tweet about how much the TE franchise tag is too. They are all about themselves ans $$. No thanks.

Comment

• The Jokeman
                        • Dec 2003

My point is that he is not a team player. If the Bills were in the playoffs and during a game a star player on IR was tweeting pics of him on the beach there would be a problem. His wife loves to tweet about how much the TE franchise tag is too. They are all about themselves ans $$. No thanks.
                        yet he played on the team with the best NFL record, was he part of it? Hells yeah. I'm sick and tired of fans thinking that we can only have model citizens on our team and expect to win. Those early 90 Super Bowls were hardly the nice guys we like to glorify but we didn't seem to mind because we were winning, why should our standards change because we're losing?

Comment

• DBrown77
                          • Mar 2005

He isn't even good enough to take a chance on IMO. Had a breakout year last year year then was horribly inconsistent this year.

Comment

• DBrown77
                            • Mar 2005

Check that, breakout year was two years ago. He put up decent numbers this year but dropped a ton

Comment

• The Jokeman
                              • Dec 2003

He isn't even good enough to take a chance on IMO. Had a breakout year last year year then was horribly inconsistent this year.
                              55 receptions compared to 38 receptions
                              767 yards compared to 389 yards
                              8 TDs compared to 6 TDs.

All of them were career highs despite his "inconsistancy". He's clearly an upgrade over Chandler inspite of all his drops.
                              Last edited by The Jokeman; 01-17-2012, 07:34 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X