• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BLeonard
    BoB Sabermetrician
    • Jan 2003

'Investment' in Cuomo plan for Bills proves to be illusory

Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo's office released a financial plan summary in his budget proposal that specifically mentioned $84 million for "critical economic development investments," including the Bills.

More specifically, the summary stated that some of the money was for "the retention of professional football in Western New York." In an interview Tuesday with The Buffalo News, Erie County Executive Mark C. Poloncarz expressed excitement.

But in reality, a deeper look into the budget plan shows that money won't be used to help the Bills remain here or to extend their lease for Ralph Wilson Stadium. The money, in fact, totaled a meager $2.94 million and was the final scheduled payment from the lease agreement made under then-Gov. George E. Pataki.

For perspective on how far $2.94 million goes in the National Football League, it would be less than a third of Bills quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick's signing bonus.

There was no new money allocated for the Bills in the proposed budget. Cuomo's office technically wouldn't need to designate funding until the 2013-14 fiscal year budget because that's when the Bills' current lease for Ralph Wilson Stadium will expire.
    -Bill
  • YardRat
    Well, lookie here...
    • Dec 2004

Re: 'Investment' in Cuomo plan for Bills proves to be illusory

Gotta love the smoke and mirrors game politicians play.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• DraftBoy
      Administrator
      • Jul 2002

Shocking...
      COMING SOON...
      Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
      We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• TigerJ
        • Jul 2002

One can debate about the extent to which government should be subsidizing the retention of sports franchises, but let's at least call this what it is, the last installment of a 15 year old promise by the state. You'd think the governor's office would know that the public is going to see through this kind of empty rhetoric.
        I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• BertSquirtgum
          Legendary Zoner
          • May 2009

He is a lying piece of **** politician, did anyone really expect the state to help keep our team here for us?

Comment

• Don't Panic
            All-Pro Zoner
            • Dec 2005

I though the lease was up after next year...

Comment

• TacklingDummy
              Unreachable Douche
              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by HurkeyNuts
              He is a lying piece of **** politician, did anyone really expect the state to help keep our team here for us?
              It's the Cuomo way.

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
                • May 2003

Why don't we all relax? Negotiations for the new lease have not even started yet. The complete study of the Ralph, which will form the basis for recomendations on renovations and repairs, has not been done. Yesterday's announcement has nothing to do with the new lease.

There will be plenty of opportunity, as negotiations among the county, state, and Bills progress, to ***** and complain. But the process hasn't really started yet.
                Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• RedEyE
                  • Jul 2002

The time for Wilson to sell is NOW!

Comment

• BLeonard
                    BoB Sabermetrician
                    • Jan 2003

Originally posted by Jan Reimers
                    Why don't we all relax? Negotiations for the new lease have not even started yet. The complete study of the Ralph, which will form the basis for recomendations on renovations and repairs, has not been done. Yesterday's announcement has nothing to do with the new lease.

There will be plenty of opportunity, as negotiations among the county, state, and Bills progress, to ***** and complain. But the process hasn't really started yet.
                    Read the second paragraph again:

More specifically, the summary stated that some of the money was for "the retention of professional football in Western New York." In an interview Tuesday with The Buffalo News, Erie County Executive Mark C. Poloncarz expressed excitement.
                    The main issue I have personally was that Cuomo specifically singled out the Bills in the statement, when, in reality, there is nothing more in there than what was expected to be in there for the Bills.

I don't think anyone is worried or anything, per se. I'm certainly not. But, the way Cuomo worded that made citizens (and apparently Mark Poloncarz, as the article states he "expressed excitement") believe that there was something in there that was to help keep the Bills in WNY after the 2012 season. Instead, the only money really in there was the payment for the lease agreement, which we already knew would be made.

It's kind of like being told that you're getting a bonus at the end of the year and you receive the same bonus that you did for the past 20 years... The statements leads you to think that you'll be getting soemthing more than is expected.

Personally, that's what I'm more upset about... The way the statement was constructed to make people believe that there was things in there for the Bills to stay in WNY past 2012.

-Bill

Comment

• OpIv37
                      Acid Douching Asswipe
                      • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Jan Reimers

I think the fact that the process hasn't started yet is reason enough for concern. The lease and Toronto deal end this season. There is literally NOTHING guaranteeing that the Bills will still be in Buffalo after that. At this point next year, there could be moving trucks pulling up to One Bills Drive.

Aside from that, Ralph could drop dead at any moment.

So, nothing is set in stone as far as the Bills leaving, so it's not quite time to hit the panic button, but there is nothing cementing them here beyond 2012, and that alone is reason for concern.
                      MiKiDo Facebook
                      MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                        Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
                        • May 2003

Originally posted by OpIv37
                        I think the fact that the process hasn't started yet is reason enough for concern. The lease and Toronto deal end this season. There is literally NOTHING guaranteeing that the Bills will still be in Buffalo after that. At this point next year, there could be moving trucks pulling up to One Bills Drive.

Aside from that, Ralph could drop dead at any moment.

So, nothing is set in stone as far as the Bills leaving, so it's not quite time to hit the panic button, but there is nothing cementing them here beyond 2012, and that alone is reason for concern.
                        We all view thw world differently. I am not as much of an alarmist as some people, and I am aware of the following:

Ralph has said repeatedly that he will not sell, or move, the Bills as long as he is alive. So while he may die "at any moment," nothing catastrophic will happen while he is alive.

The lease has another year to go. All sides are gearing up for negotiations:

The Bills (I think) had the KC firm that designed Camden Yards and Coca Cola Field (and other venues) take a look at the Ralph, and they threw out a number of $100-130 million to renovate it into a first class, fan friendly stadium. This was a first salvo in the negotiating process.

Erie County County Exec Poloncarz is in the process of hiring an outside law firm to handle the negotiations for the county, to assure that someone with knowledge of the NFL and the Bills will represent the county.

The state has indicated over and over that it wants to keep the Bills in Buffalo. They have provided substantial financial support in the past, including the multi-million dollar renovations in the mid-90s. Sen. Schumer has also expressed strong support, on many occasions, for keeping the Bills here. As has Goodell.

I'm not saying definitively that the Bills won't move. I'm just not that concerned over the current status of the process. I think it's about where we should expect it to be.
                        Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• stuckincincy
                          Buffalo Bills Fan
                          • Sep 2003

Originally posted by TigerJ
                          One can debate about the extent to which government should be subsidizing the retention of sports franchises, but let's at least call this what it is, the last installment of a 15 year old promise by the state. You'd think the governor's office would know that the public is going to see through this kind of empty rhetoric.
                          You are over-estimating the abilities, powers of discernment and informed judgment of the general public.
                          Last edited by stuckincincy; 01-20-2012, 01:21 PM.
                          Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Comment

Working...
                          X