• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rbochan
    Zamboni Driver
    • Jun 2008

The System: What it is and why it’s Failed

"Over the past few years, any time the Sabres have put together a clunker on par with any of the first three games of their current road trip, the team’s responses to fans and media have always centered on a familiar buzz-word, “the system.” Losses are blamed on straying from it; and returning to its structure is on par with “going to the dirty areas” and “getting pucks to the net” as cliched press conference phrases on how to get the team back on track. But what exactly is the system that Lindy Ruff has touted for the past two and a half seasons?..."

...Rob

The American Dream isn't an SUV and a house in the suburbs;
    it's Don't Tread On Me.
  • SabreEleven
    • Aug 2002

Re: The System: What it is and why it’s Failed

Even Crapface could tell you the Sabres play one system but have players that don't fit in that system. It's like playing a 3-4 when you have personel for a 4-3. Can't fit a round object in a square whole but Ruff is determined to.

Comment

• trapezeus
      Legendary Zoner
      • Oct 2004

i read that article.

problem is that the system is probably the best thing for these guys. you can't ask non-physical players to play with an edge.

Yes, it hasn't worked, but i don't think you can ask derek roy to play like a big guy. I don't think you can ask gragnani to be a solid shot blocker.

And the system isn't always being followed. they are letting guys shoot from the outside, but then they don't clear in front of the net so the rebounds are incredibly juicy and easy to tap in. bad on miller for putting rebounds in front. bad on the defense for not having sticks tied up.

in the end, i still think this team needse a new coach. we have had Raffi torres, dominic moore, danny paille, etc play poorly here, and then play just fine elsewhere. and those are just a few names. ruff isn't getting the most out of these guys.

Comment

• OpIv37
        Acid Douching Asswipe
        • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Crapface2000
        Buffalo has a system? I thought it was pray to score first and then hope the other team doesn't find the back of the net
        not quite, but you're close.

The system is "play 1 really strong period a game and hope you outscore the other team by at least 3 goals because it's going to take at least that many to overcome the suckage that is the other two periods."

They do change it up. Sometimes they'll come out strong and go up 2-0 or 3-0 after one, only to be outscored 5-0 in the remaining two periods. Sometimes they put up 2 goals in the 3rd, when they're already down 4-0 going in. Sometimes, they'll take a 2-1 lead after 2 only to end up losing 5-2 on two goals and an empty netter in the 3rd.

But the point remains: best case scenario is 20 good minutes a game.
        MiKiDo Facebook
        MiKiDo Website

Comment

• MitchMurrayDowntown
          Skoobasaurus-Rex
          • Oct 2011

Originally posted by SabreEleven
          Even Crapface could tell you the Sabres play one system but have players that don't fit in that system. It's like playing a 3-4 when you have personel for a 4-3. Can't fit a round object in a square whole but Ruff is determined to.
          He's an obstinate guy that needs a pink slip, these guys are square pegs trying to fit in Lindy's round hole (metaphorically speaking).

Comment

• OpIv37
            Acid Douching Asswipe
            • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Crapface2000
            Who's more to blame? The coach for not adapting to his players or the GM who gets his coach such awful players for his scheme despite a 13 year working relationship?
            Don't forget ownership.

The old owner was the Ralph Wilson of the NHL- using a self-imposed cap that was lower than the NHL's cap and not spending on players.

The new owner looks like the Dan Snyder of the NHL- just unsuccessfully trying to buy championships.
            MiKiDo Facebook
            MiKiDo Website

Comment

Working...
            X