PDA

View Full Version : Bills or no Bills, WNYers still watch NFL

Johnny Bugmenot
01-20-2012, 11:18 AM
Wondering what the highest-rated TV program of last week was in WNY? That’s easy. It was the New York Giants upset of Green Bay Sunday in the NFC playoffs with a preliminary rating of 29.2 on WUTV, almost three times the “Idol” audience. Baltimore’s Sunday win over Houston had a 24.0 preliminary rating on Channel 4, the local CBS affiliate. As usual, the two Saturday games had lower ratings here. San Francisco’s victory over New Orleans in the best game of the weekend had a 21.8 preliminary rating on WUTV. The lowest football rating of the weekend was New England’s romp over Denver and Tim Tebow on Channel 4 with a 19.9. Buffalo fans found out weeks earlier that Tebow Magic was an illusion when the Bills beat the Broncos.

LINK (http://stilltalkintv.com/2012/01/idol-takes-25-percent-slide-here/)

TacklingDummy
01-20-2012, 11:21 AM
I can safely say I may have watched 1 total games worth of football this year that didn't involve the Bills.

Unless you count highlights.

BLeonard
01-20-2012, 11:27 AM
I don't think it's a secret that NFL ratings numbers will be high in an NFL city, even if that city's team isn't involved in the game. Having an NFL franchise increases the interest of the product, IMO.

Now, show me a link about what the NBA's numbers in WNY are. My guess would be significantly lower, due to:

A: Not having an NBA Team in WNY
B: College Basketball (specifically, Syracuse)

My guess would be, most WNYers would watch ANY NFL game before they'd watch an NBA game that they have an interest in. Part of that is because the NFL is more popular, but part of it also has to be the fact that WNY has an NFL team... They don't have an NBA team, so they naturally care less about that product.

-Bill

Mski
01-20-2012, 11:39 AM
I don't think it's a secret that NFL ratings numbers will be high in an NFL city, even if that city's team isn't involved in the game. Having an NFL franchise increases the interest of the product, IMO.

Now, show me a link about what the NBA's numbers in WNY are. My guess would be significantly lower, due to:

My guess would be, most WNYers would watch ANY NFL game before they'd watch an NBA game that they have an interest in. Part of that is because the NFL is more popular, but part of it also has to be the fact that WNY has an NFL team... They don't have an NBA team, so they naturally care less about that product.

-Billthat impies that someone somewhere actually cares about the NBA. If it wasnt for ESPN cramming them down the throats of everyone, and usually 8+ of the "top ten plays" being some guy over 6'5" dunking, the NBA would have gone away

THATHURMANATOR
01-20-2012, 11:40 AM
That would change drastically if the Bills were to move though.

BLeonard
01-20-2012, 11:53 AM
that impies that someone somewhere actually cares about the NBA. If it wasnt for ESPN cramming them down the throats of everyone, and usually 8+ of the "top ten plays" being some guy over 6'5" dunking, the NBA would have gone away

Fair point. But certainly, some people somewhere have to care... Otherwise, they wouldn't make any money and be out of business anyway.

That would change drastically if the Bills were to move though.

Pretty much what I was saying, condensed down to one sentence. Good job. I tend to be too wordy at times.

-Bill

OpIv37
01-20-2012, 11:54 AM
The only NFL games I sit down and watch from start to finish are Bills games.

I watch bits and pieces of other games when I'm around, but I don't obsess over them or go out of my way to watch them. I just don't have the time to follow non-Bills football.

If the NFL leaves Buffalo, that's pretty much what I'll do. I'll become a half-assed Redskins or Ravens "fan" (because all the games are on locally). I won't buy any merch and I'll watch the games when I don't have something better to do. I'll never put the time or energy into it that I put in now.

I think a lot of Bills fans are the same way.

THATHURMANATOR
01-20-2012, 12:37 PM
Yep Op.

Michael82
01-20-2012, 04:36 PM

I watch bits and pieces of other games when I'm around, but I don't obsess over them or go out of my way to watch them. I just don't have the time to follow non-Bills football.

If the NFL leaves Buffalo, that's pretty much what I'll do. I'll become a half-assed Redskins or Ravens "fan" (because all the games are on locally). I won't buy any merch and I'll watch the games when I don't have something better to do. I'll never put the time or energy into it that I put in now.

Exactly! I'm the same way!

imbondz
01-20-2012, 05:07 PM
I won't watch the Patriots/Ravens game unless I check the score and the Ravens are pounding them.

Lone Stranger
01-20-2012, 07:35 PM
I love NFL football; I'll watch whomever is playing. Regarding the NBA, I agree with all stated above; boring at best. The NCAAs are a great alternatvie.

better days
01-20-2012, 07:45 PM

-Bill

Well, it was long ago, so many of you young guys may not even realize that Buffalo once had an NBA team, The Buffalo Braves. I never had season tickets, but went to quite a few games myself. When that team was moved to San Diego & renamed the Clippers, I vowed to never watch an NBA game again in my life, & I have not.

If the Bills ever left Buffalo I would imagine all NFL games would draw about as well as the LA Clippers & the NBA on TV in Buffalo.

better days
01-20-2012, 07:51 PM

Well, I am already a Bucs fan, so I would still watch them if the Bills ever moved, but they are FREE for me to watch. I don't have the passion for them like I do the Bills that I have spent a lot of money on over the years.

BertSquirtgum
01-20-2012, 08:18 PM
I will continue to watch football even after/if the Bills move.

YardRat
01-20-2012, 08:30 PM
I love watching NFL football...depending on the game and it's participants it isn't unusual for me to watch an entire game that doesn't involve the Bills, especially at playoff time.

Obviously if the Bills left the area I (as others) wouldn't invest the same amount of time, effort and money into another team but I doubt I could give it up completely as I basically have with the NBA.

Loved the Braves, but after we got ****ed over by Brown and Snyder my interest went downhill. I latched onto the Pistons for a while and was able to revel in the birth and growth of the Bad Boys into eventual champions but after that team disintegrated you couldn't pay me to watch an NBA game...can't even remember the last Finals game I took the time to view.

Go Bills. Go Sabres. Go 'Cuse.

Everybody and everything else could disappear and I wouldn't care less.

Bert102176
01-20-2012, 08:35 PM
I won't watch any regular season games if there are no Bills, and may not watch any post season

better days
01-20-2012, 08:36 PM
I will continue to watch football even after/if the Bills move.

Would you PAY money to do so?

BLeonard
01-20-2012, 08:41 PM
Well, it was long ago, so many of you young guys may not even realize that Buffalo once had an NBA team, The Buffalo Braves. I never had season tickets, but went to quite a few games myself. When that team was moved to San Diego & renamed the Clippers, I vowed to never watch an NBA game again in my life, & I have not.

If the Bills ever left Buffalo I would imagine all NFL games would draw about as well as the LA Clippers & the NBA on TV in Buffalo.

I'm well aware that the Clippers used to be the Buffalo Braves.

That was pretty much my point. My guess is, the NBA was more popular in Buffalo when they had a team... Now, not so much.

-Bill

G Wolly
01-21-2012, 04:44 AM
I can watch football for hours, Bills or not.

It's refreshing to see what an NFL team is supposed to look like every once in awhile.

Night Train
01-21-2012, 07:47 AM
The playoffs have produced some great football games.

That Saints-49ers game was one for the ages and showed us what actual professional football can look like with talent and a sharp front office.

I'm loyal to the Bills to a point but they are not bigger than the game itself. I watch a ton of college ball and would probably watch less pro if the Bills left. Still, it's the greatest sport on the planet.

BertSquirtgum
01-21-2012, 11:37 AM
Would you PAY money to do so?

yeah, i pay 7$ a month for xs now.

better days
01-21-2012, 11:51 AM
yeah, i pay 7$ a month for xs now.

That is to watch the Bills correct? I am asking would you pay to watch OTHER NFL teams if the Bills were no longer in Buffalo?

BertSquirtgum
01-21-2012, 12:03 PM
That is to watch the Bills correct? I am asking would you pay to watch OTHER NFL teams if the Bills were no longer in Buffalo?
no it was to be able to watch the games on thursday and other games that weren't on locally that i wanted to watch, as well as the blacked out Bills games. i hate direct tv so i can't get the nfl ticket. to answer your question, yes, i would pay but i don't know why i would have to. the nfl is going to be on tv locally no matter what.

better days
01-21-2012, 12:18 PM
no it was to be able to watch the games on thursday and other games that weren't on locally that i wanted to watch, as well as the blacked out Bills games. i hate direct tv so i can't get the nfl ticket. to answer your question, yes, i would pay but i don't know why i would have to. the nfl is going to be on tv locally no matter what.

Why the hate for directv? They are far better than cable in so many ways.

TheGhostofJimKelly
01-22-2012, 06:38 AM
I have been saying this for years and not one person here has ever agreed with me on this. This area has one of the highest NFL TV ratings in the country every week, the league does not want to see the Bills move and jeopardize a great NFL market.

Johnny Bugmenot
01-24-2012, 08:52 AM
UPDATE:

Sure enough, the majority of WUTV viewers fled Sunday after the post-game coverage. The Giants win averaged a 31.9 rating on Channel 29. It had a 36.7 rating in the last 15 minutes when the Giants kicked the winning field goal. Two-thirds of those viewers left “Idol.” It started out with a 12.5 rating and gradually lost its audience. It averaged a 9.3 rating on Channel 29 for the hour, finishing with an 7.9 in the last 15 minutes when many people go to bed.

New England’s win over Baltimore had a 31.5 rating on Channel 4. While the Buffalo ratings for the games was higher than the national average, the 2011 conference title games had higher ratings here. Pittsburgh’s win over the New York Jets had a 35.7 rating on Channel 4 and Green Bay’s win over Chicago had a 34.4 on Channel 29.

LINK (http://stilltalkintv.com/2012/01/idol-thrown-for-another-local-loss/)

better days
01-24-2012, 09:15 AM
I have been saying this for years and not one person here has ever agreed with me on this. This area has one of the highest NFL TV ratings in the country every week, the league does not want to see the Bills move and jeopardize a great NFL market.

Over the last 20 years, Buffalo may have lost population, but the Bills have not lost fans. Aside from the ratings in Buffalo, the Bills draw viewers from across the Country. MANY of us spend a lot of money either on the ticket or going to bars to watch the games.

If the Bills were to move, the Buffalo market would not be the only loss to the NFL, the vast majority of Bills fans paying for the Sunday ticket would no longer do so.

That said, I am not worried about the Bills ever moving.

TheGhostofJimKelly
01-25-2012, 05:18 AM
Over the last 20 years, Buffalo may have lost population, but the Bills have not lost fans. Aside from the ratings in Buffalo, the Bills draw viewers from across the Country. MANY of us spend a lot of money either on the ticket or going to bars to watch the games.

If the Bills were to move, the Buffalo market would not be the only loss to the NFL, the vast majority of Bills fans paying for the Sunday ticket would no longer do so.

That said, I am not worried about the Bills ever moving.

Believe it or not, this area is always as strong or close to NYC, LA, etc. for ratings, sometimes beating those areas. That also goes for when the Bills are not playing.

Johnny Bugmenot
01-25-2012, 08:29 PM
Believe it or not, this area is always as strong or close to NYC, LA, etc. for ratings, sometimes beating those areas. That also goes for when the Bills are not playing.
Understand that TV ratings are based on the average relative to population. So a 30 share in Buffalo is a much smaller overall viewership (probably about a tenth) than a 30 share in NYC. NYC is also a much more fractured TV audience than Buffalo, where in addition to the Big Four, there's also a litany of Spanish stations and a smattering of independents. It is true, that based on market-to-market ratings, Buffalo ranks at or near the top in the NHL and NFL.