PDA

View Full Version : Blackout rules for NFL games studied by FCC

BLeonard
01-21-2012, 09:28 AM
Lotta blackout stuff in the news today...

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/bills-nfl/article714732.ece

WASHINGTON -- Fans of the Buffalo Bills and other teams frequently subjected to television blackout rules soon may get a reprieve -- and critics of the rules are encouraging fans to make their voices heard in support of changes in a longtime federal policy that prevents satellite and cable broadcasters from airing games that are not sold out.

Doing so could make a difference as the Federal Communications Commission considers altering or eliminating its four-decade-old blackout rules, said Brian Frederick, executive director of the Sports Fans Coalition.

"For the next month, fans will have the opportunity to speak up about blackouts and actually be heard," Frederick said on his organization's website this week.

Higgins encouraged fans to comment on the blackout rule to the FCC electronically at fjallfoss.fcc.gov/ecfs2.

Alternatively, letters can be sent to:

Marlene H. Dortch, Secretary

Federal Communications Commission

Office of the Secretary

445 12th Street, SW

Washington, DC 20554

The FCC is seeking comments through Feb. 13 -- and the NFL and other sports leagues are sure to oppose any changes.

Last summer, the NFL told the FCC in a filing that changes "would gut the purpose of the rule and create perverse incentives for (cable and satellite TV providers) to engage in brinkmanship tactics in order to take advantage of the proposed exception to the sports blackout rule."

-Bill

hemi13
01-21-2012, 09:59 AM
Explain one thing to me. Syracuse is 157 mile from the Ralph. The NFL blackout rules state 75 miles can be blacked out from the stadium. So how have they gotten away with blacking out Syracuse for so long. They don't even follow their own rules.

BLeonard
01-21-2012, 10:13 AM
Explain one thing to me. Syracuse is 157 mile from the Ralph. The NFL blackout rules state 75 miles can be blacked out from the stadium. So how have they gotten away with blacking out Syracuse for so long. They don't even follow their own rules.

From what I have read (and I'm not sure if it's accurate, but wouldn't surprise me) because Syracuse TV broadcasts reach into the black out area, their CBS affiliate can't air the game. Also, because Rome and Utica get the broadcast from Syracuse it is blacked out there as well.

Not sure if it's the right answer, but it would certainly make sense, at least in the NFL's convoluted way of looking at things.

-Bill

Night Train
01-21-2012, 10:42 AM
Bills hold the local tax base hostage with these sweetheart stadium deals & improvements that benefit the owner (who doesn't even live here ).

Then they black out games when the actual gate matters little with the insane TV revenue realized each year before a single game is played. The walk up tickets buyers after the Thursday deadline barely moves the actual gate.

Yeah...that seems fair & balanced. ( Much like Fox News )

:rolleyes:

BLeonard
01-21-2012, 10:54 AM
Bills hold the local tax base hostage with these sweetheart stadium deals & improvements that benefit the owner (who doesn't even live here ).

Then they black out games when the actual gate matters little with the insane TV revenue realized each year before a single game is played. The walk up tickets buyers after the Thursday deadline barely moves the actual gate.

Yeah...that seems fair & balanced. ( Much like Fox News )

:rolleyes:

Pretty much what Congressman Brian Higgins said regarding the matter:

The blackout rule denies fans who have invested their time, consumer spending and local tax dollars in the Bills from being able to watch their team play.

I posted a thread with that article linked as well: http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?t=209244

The FCC is actually asking for public opinion on the matter, another link that I posted here: http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?t=209243

For whatever reason, today seems to be "attack on blackouts day" on more than a few websites.

Personally? I think the blackouts should be ended. If they insist on them, at the very least, they should be lifted on services such as NFL Sunday Ticket. If you are paying for a service, you shouldn't be punished if the game doesn't sell out, just because you live within a certain proximity of the stadium.

I get that they want to fill the stadium, but if I order a PPV event, it doesn't get blacked out if the event doesn't sell out and I happen to live within a certain distance of the arena hosting the event. If you're paying the price for Sunday Ticket, Center Ice, or any other sort of similar service, you should have access to each and every game, whether you live close to the arena or not, regardless on if the arena sells out or not.

-Bill