• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DraftBoy
    Administrator
    • Jul 2002

Excess Celebration Penalties

The idea was to get rid of the stuff that guys like TO, Randy Moss, and Joe Horn were doing not to penalize somebody for standing on the camera stand.

Just so we're all clear jumping into the stands, or dunking the football over the goal posts are both good but standing on the ***** camera stand, that's going over the line.
    COMING SOON...
    Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
    We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!
  • Michael82
    • Jul 2002

Re: Excess Celebration Penalties

Don't forget spiking the football....that's okay too. Gronkowski does it all the time and sometimes does it right in front of the defensive players face.

Comment

• BLeonard
      BoB Sabermetrician
      • Jan 2003

Originally posted by DraftBoy
      The idea was to get rid of the stuff that guys like TO, Randy Moss, and Joe Horn were doing not to penalize somebody for standing on the camera stand.

Just so we're all clear jumping into the stands, or dunking the football over the goal posts are both good but standing on the ***** camera stand, that's going over the line.
      Well. if you google the rule, you'll see that the Lambeau Leap and dunking over the Goal Post have been "grandfathered in" and, as a result, aren't flagged.

Not saying it isn't BS, but they are in fact grandfathered in in the rules.

-Bill

Comment

• BADTHINGSMAN
        • Oct 2002

Dont mind the spike or Lambeau leap or a player kneeling, hell didnt even mind when Timmy Dwight use to do the coconut drink celebration. When you jump on a camera stand or have to use a sharpie or pretend to wizz on a opponents goal post its overboard.

Comment

• BLeonard
          BoB Sabermetrician
          • Jan 2003

Originally posted by BADTHINGSMAN
          Dont mind the spike or Lambeau leap or a player kneeling, hell didnt even mind when Timmy Dwight use to do the coconut drink celebration. When you jump on a camera stand or have to use a sharpie or pretend to wizz on a opponents goal post its overboard.
          The issue I have withe the kneeling is that it is "going to the ground." I've discussed this before... They have flagged guys in the past who accidentally fall for "going to the ground." So, any form of "going to the ground" intentionally should certainly draw a flag, if falling on accident does.

-Bill

Comment

• BADTHINGSMAN
            • Oct 2002

Still don't have an issue with a guy taking a knee after a TD. If more then just the guy scoring did then sure toss the flag. I will never see how a guy taking a knee is obsessive celebrating.

Comment

• BLeonard
              BoB Sabermetrician
              • Jan 2003

Still don't have an issue with a guy taking a knee after a TD. If more then just the guy scoring did then sure toss the flag. I will never see how a guy taking a knee is obsessive celebrating.
              Because, it clearly falls under "going to the ground."

Again, if they flag someone who was accidentally knocked to the ground for the penalty, why is it OK for someone to intentionally go to a knee?

Here's two shots from last year's Super Bowl

This was flagged

This was not

If the penalty is "going to the grond," then ALL instances of "going to the ground" should be flagged, especially if you're flagging guys who are inadvertandly knocked down.

-Bill

Comment

• BADTHINGSMAN
                • Oct 2002

Dude, relax I understand why its a penalty. Just think its F'n stupid if the player that scores does it alone.

Comment

• BLeonard
                  BoB Sabermetrician
                  • Jan 2003

Dude, relax I understand why its a penalty. Just think its F'n stupid if the player that scores does it alone.
                  I am relaxed. I'm just saying, if they penalize one, then they should penalize the other. In the instances given above, one was flagged, the other wasn't.

It's situations like that where you get the "referee's discretion" on whether or not something should be flagged. I think that the rule should be black and white, so that there is no "referee's discretion." It's "referee's discretion" that causes Stevie Johnson to not be flagged in Cincinnati for flashing a shirt, yet he is flagged in New England for it.

Not that I'm defending Stevie for either, as I thought both incidents were stupid. But it's a perfect example of inconsistency when one official determines that something is not "excessive," but another official determines that it is.

-Bill

Comment

• BADTHINGSMAN
                    • Oct 2002

I agree on the flag it for all or dont flag it. JMO that the scoring player taking a knee isnt excessive to me.

Comment

• BLeonard
                      BoB Sabermetrician
                      • Jan 2003

I agree on the flag it for all or dont flag it. JMO that the scoring player taking a knee isnt excessive to me.
                      It's not to me, either... But, when you're flagging guys for "going to the ground" when they get knocked over (and falling accidentally) you have to flag when a player goes to the ground intentionally, regardless of how they are going to the ground. That's all I'm saying.

-Bill

Comment

• Michael82
                        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by BLeonard
                        Because, it clearly falls under "going to the ground."

Again, if they flag someone who was accidentally knocked to the ground for the penalty, why is it OK for someone to intentionally go to a knee?

Here's two shots from last year's Super Bowl

This was flagged

This was not

If the penalty is "going to the grond," then ALL instances of "going to the ground" should be flagged, especially if you're flagging guys who are inadvertandly knocked down.

-Bill
                        That's because they don't want to start trouble with the religious people and piss off the Christians/Catholics.

Comment

• Night Train
                          Retired - On Several Levels
                          • Jul 2005

Agreed that they need to settle this during the upcoming off-season. I'm sick of these Refs throwing flags, depending on their mood.

The celebrations are a big nothing and if it's the owners that are offended, then start talking to the fans that drive your product.
                          Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• Historian
                            2020-2023 AFC East Champions!
                            • Dec 2002

"Let your actions speak so loudly that nobody hears what you're saying." -Marv Levy

Thurman used to live that advice. Some of these guys need to grow up.

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                              Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
                              • May 2003

The best way to avoid the confusion and controversy, as well as the chance of taking a bad penalty, is to hand the ball to the official and get off the field. It's the classiest way to go, too.
                              Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

Working...
                              X