• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BLeonard
    BoB Sabermetrician
    • Jan 2003

Potential loophole in Playoff OT rules

Hopefully, one day, the Bills will be back in the playoffs and this will be more "Bills Related" than it is now, but, reading the NFL Overtime Rules in the playoffs, I thought this was interesting discussion topic:

First here's the link: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d...overtime-rules

The relevant parts:

The system guarantees each team a possession or the opportunity to possess, unless the team that receives the opening kickoff scores a touchdown on its initial possession.
    Key Definitions:

» Possession: Actual possession of the ball with complete control. The defense gains possession when it catches, intercepts, or recovers a loose ball.

» Opportunity to possess: The opportunity to possess occurs only during kicking plays. A kickoff is an opportunity to possess for the receiving team. If the kicking team legally recovers the kick, the receiving team is considered to have had its opportunity. A punt or a field goal that crosses the line of scrimmage and is muffed by the receiving team is considered to be an opportunity to possess for the receivers. Normal touching rules by the kicking team apply.
    So, here's my loophole...

Say I'm the coach of a team and we're about to start Overtime in the playoffs. My team has lost the toss and the other team has elected to receive.

My playcall? Surprise onside kick.

Initially, the thought probably is "Is this guy NUTS?" But, read the parts of the rules I have quoted again...

The opportunity to possess occurs only during kicking plays. A kickoff is an opportunity to possess for the receiving team. If the kicking team legally recovers the kick, the receiving team is considered to have had its opportunity.
    So, if my team recovers the onsides kick, the opposing team has had their opportunity. I can now go down, kick a FG and win the game.

Even if the other team recovers the onsides kick, as long as they don't score a TD, my team is gonna get the ball.

Yes, not recovering the kick gives my opposition a short field in which to get a TD, but if my Defense is playing well, combined with the obvious surprise an onsides kick in that situation would be, I have a fairly decent chance of getting that kick, as the opposing team wouldn't be expecting it, wouldn't have their hands team out, etc.

Of course, if they do recover and score a TD, the media is gonna kill me for making the call... But, if it works, I'm the smartest guy in Pro Football.

-Bill
    Last edited by BLeonard; 01-23-2012, 06:14 PM.
  • MitchMurrayDowntown
    Skoobasaurus-Rex
    • Oct 2011

Re: Potential loophole in Playoff OT rules

A have a better one, what if you kickoff in OT, do an onside kick and get it, fumble it to your opponent, they run in towards the endzone, the ball gets punched out & it goes through the endzone ?

Comment

• YardRat
      Well, lookie here...
      • Dec 2004

I don't see it as a loophole as much as a strategic opportunity. For any of the four teams yesterday, the way their defenses were playing, IMO it would've been worth the risk, although realistically you are conceding a FG and putting your offense in a position to have to score.

Personally, I think the 'unless the team that receives the opening kickoff scores a touchdown on its initial possession' qualifier is a terrible part of the rules...both teams should have the opportunity to possess, end of story.

Found this interesting, and can admit to never seeing it before..." the game automatically ends upon any score (by safety, field goal, or touchdown) or when a score is awarded by the Referee for a palpably unfair act." Can't wait for that little nugget to be pulled out and employed to hand the Patriots a victory sometime in the future.
      YardRat Wall of Fame
      #56 DARRYL TALLEY
      #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• YardRat
        Well, lookie here...
        • Dec 2004

Originally posted by MitchMurrayDowntown
        A have a better one, what if you kickoff in OT, do an onside kick and get it, fumble it to your opponent, they run in towards the endzone, the ball gets punched out & it goes through the endzone ?
        Touchback, your ball, both teams possessed so it's sudden death.
        YardRat Wall of Fame
        #56 DARRYL TALLEY
        #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• MitchMurrayDowntown
          Skoobasaurus-Rex
          • Oct 2011

Originally posted by YardRat
          LOL, true enough.

Comment

• BLeonard
            BoB Sabermetrician
            • Jan 2003

Originally posted by YardRat
            I would have to agree on that one.

-Bill

Comment

• mikemac2001
              is the creepy cross dresser staring at you in the corner
              • Mar 2003

what about a safety say u kick it backwords....

MUCK
              FIAMI

Comment

• Oaf
                Do you read what you write?
                • Jun 2007

What about one point safeties?

Comment

• G Wolly
                  • Mar 2004

Or they recover the ball and start near midfield and score a TD anyways.

Comment

• THRILLHO
                    This is great, and all I've done is enter my name!
                    • Feb 2009

Originally posted by mikemac2001
                    what about a safety say u kick it backwords....
                    A safety is an automatic win.
                    True fans want wins, not draft picks.

Comment

• MikeInRoch
                      • Sep 2003

This thought came out right after they rolled out these new rules... I'm not sure what the NFL did about it.
                      "'Clean up your room.', 'Stand up straight.', 'Pick up your feet.', 'Take it like a man.', 'Be nice to your sister.', 'Don't mix beer and wine, ever.'. Oh yeah, 'Don't drive on the railroad track.'"

"Eh, Phil. That's one I happen to agree with."

Comment

• G Wolly
                        • Mar 2004

Even if someone had the balls to try an onside kick in OT and recover, I'm sure the counter to your "loophole" would be the first offensive drive after gaining possession.

Comment

• Forward_Lateral
                          • Mar 2004

I was thinking about this during the SF Giants game. Why not onside kick?

Comment

• RedEyE
                            • Jul 2002

Fun look at the rules but probably not likely to happen.

I don't know the exact percentage, but I think it's around 13% of onside kicks are recovered by the kicking team.

So, you're right, it would be crazy to even consider the attempt as there is an 87% chance the receiving team recovers with excellent field position.

Curious - Can anyone think of a game where a team opened up with an onside kick?

Comment

• Johnny Bugmenot
                              Will not tolerate vandalism.
                              • Apr 2006

The league has been making it almost impossible to successfully execute an onside kick anyway.

Comment

Working...
                              X