Billy Cundiff Rushed His Kick Because Of An Error On The Gillette Stadium Scoreboard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BLeonard
    BoB Sabermetrician
    • Jan 2003

Billy Cundiff Rushed His Kick Because Of An Error On The Gillette Stadium Scoreboard

Cundiff told me he initially thought he was at fault, that he had looked at the scoreboard too early, before the down number had been changed. In fact, the Gillette Stadium scoreboard was off by a down. On Monday, Ravens linebacker Terrell Suggs told ESPN that Ravens players thought the team had made a first down after receiver Anquan Boldin fumbled out of bounds on first-and-10 from the Patriots' 23-yard line. Instead, the ball was marked where Boldin had lost it, a yard short of a first down. On second and third downs—which the scoreboard said were first and second—Ravens threw unsuccessfully into the end zone. Ravens P.R. director Kevin Byrne told me—and Cundiff later learned—that team officials watched the All-22 video of the game on Monday and confirmed the scoreboard malfunction.

The Ravens, of course, could have made all this confusion moot by calling a timeout. Instead, coach John Harbaugh decided to let Cundiff run on the field and kick.

But back to the scoreboard. Was the error on the Gillette Stadium board an honest mistake made by a confused Patriots employee? Or were there darker forces at work here—a little Belichickian Machiavellianism to confuse the opposition with a Super Bowl berth on the line? Cundiff blames no one but himself for the miss. But he's relieved to know he wasn't seeing things on the stadium scoreboard.
    -Bill
  • YardRat
    Well, lookie here...
    • Dec 2004

Re: Billy Cundiff Rushed His Kick Because Of An Error On The Gillette Stadium Scoreboard

Mm-hmmm. An 'error'. How convenient.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• THE END OF ALL DAYS
      The Allen Era has begun.... no looking back now, come hell or high water!
      • Feb 2005

Re: Billy Cundiff Rushed His Kick Because Of An Error On The Gillette Stadium Scoreboard

bastards
      In my day we did not have self-esteem... we had self-respect, and no more of it then we earned.

Comment

• Crisis
        • Aug 2004

Yeah, as much as I want to hate New England here... Baltimore had a time-out so they wouldn't have to rush anything. Blame should fall on them.
        Originally posted by LOSman WINS
        Vanek is Austrian not European
        Originally posted by Prov401
        Pacquiao isn't asian. He's from the philippines
        Originally posted by better days
        I will not be surprised if Tebow has more success than Peyton in the NFL.

Comment

• G Wolly
          • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Crisis
          Yeah, as much as I want to hate New England here... Baltimore had a time-out so they wouldn't have to rush anything. Blame should fall on them.
          My friends and I said the same thing.

The play clock was running out and they rushed the snap to beat it when they could have (and should have) burned the timeout.

Comment

• BADTHINGSMAN
            • Oct 2002

Originally posted by Crisis
            Agreed! I to hate the Patridiots but this seems like an excuse to let the Raven's off the hook from losing. The Raven's had a time out so there was no reason to rush the kick.

My biggest problem with the Pat's is every time they make it to the SB its always with controversy that something went their way to win.

Comment

• BLeonard
              BoB Sabermetrician
              • Jan 2003

Originally posted by BADTHINGSMAN
              Agreed! I to hate the Patridiots but this seems like an excuse to let the Raven's off the hook from losing. The Raven's had a time out so there was no reason to rush the kick.

My biggest problem with the Pat's is every time they make it to the SB its always with controversy that something went their way to win.
              This is kinda where I'm at too...

I wholeheartedly agree that Baltimore should have taken the timeout that they had, in order to not rush things.

But, why is it that there always seems to be some sort of "Out of left field" situation that benefits the Patriots?

The Tuck Rule, Spygate and now this... Something just stinks about all this.

-Bill
              Last edited by BLeonard; 01-23-2012, 10:21 PM.

Comment

• mikemac2001
                is the creepy cross dresser staring at you in the corner
                • Mar 2003

its always something...ALWAYS!!!!

MUCK
                FIAMI

Comment

• Johnny Bugmenot
                  Will not tolerate vandalism.
                  • Apr 2006

Why was he using an unofficial scoreboard when the official down indicator is on the chains? Still his fault.

Comment

• NOT THE DUDE...
                    Hall of Fame Zoner
                    • Jan 2010

remember in 98 when they called pi on buffalo in the regular season...

1st ever pi call on a hail mary... what a joke...

i couldnt sleep for 2 weeks after that...

Comment

• k-oneputt
                      • Jun 2009

Anyone notice these errors, crazy official calls, pass interference called on a hail mary, even snowplows coming onto the field ALWAYS seem to happen in New England.
                      Almost forgot, Spygate. Another coincidence.

Comment

• OpIv37
                        Acid Douching Asswipe
                        • Sep 2002

Should the kicker have looked at the official down marker? Yes.

Should Balt have used their time-out? Yes.

Does that excuse NE for the mistake? Absolutely not. At best, it was an error in a highly publicized game on national TV and at worst, it was a deliberate attempt to give NE an advantage. What Baltimore chose to do is a separate issue from holding the Patriots organization accountable for what shows up on their scoreboards. I guarantee that everyone else in that stadium, and everyone watching at home in Boston and Baltimore, knew exactly what down it was. There's no reason why the scoreboard operator shouldn't know.
                        MiKiDo Facebook
                        MiKiDo Website

Comment

• OpIv37
                          Acid Douching Asswipe
                          • Sep 2002

and honestly, I'd be willing to dismiss this as an honest mistake if NE didn't have such a long and well established history of doing this kind of crap to gain little advantages, but they do.
                          MiKiDo Facebook
                          MiKiDo Website

Comment

• better days
                            • Jan 2010

Originally posted by OpIv37
                            and honestly, I'd be willing to dismiss this as an honest mistake if NE didn't have such a long and well established history of doing this kind of crap to gain little advantages, but they do.
                            Everyone knows the Pats* will take advantage of every little edge they can to win, legal or not. The fact is the blame for the missed FG is 99.9% on the Ravens & the kicker. NO EXCUSE for not calling a time out there.

Comment

• utmhead
                              • Oct 2005

The scorekeeper might have made a mistake, but the Ravens players also did not know the rule, they all thought it was a 1st down as well. IF the players don't know the rule, you expect some intern scoreboard operator to know it ???
                              They had a time out use it and take a deep breath

Comment

Working...
                              X