PDA

View Full Version : What would you say if i told you this 3 years ago

Cali512
01-25-2012, 10:13 PM
In 2012 we would have a quarterback who just came off a nearly 4000 yd year, beat NE with a 380+ yd game, and had 20+ TDs without 3 major components on Offense? I mean seriously, 3 years ago we were estatic at Trent Edwards throwing for 200 yds in a game and a TD. I was apart of BBMB and i know the attitudes cant be much different here, but i remember in 2009 everyone just being like can we just have a quarterback who gets 300 yds in a game. Not to mention having no WRs aside from parrish who were drafted higher than the 7th round. So my question is, 3 years ago would u of been happy if i said we would have a QB have these stats?

I HAVE NO IDEA WHY I MADE IT YES NO. YES MEANS GOOD AND NO MEANS BAD

BLeonard
01-25-2012, 10:36 PM
I would have asked you if the Bills made the playoffs in that timeframe.

In the end, Wins and losses are the only stats that count.

You also conveniently failed to mention that he led the league in INT's thrown, with 23.

-Bill

Cali512
01-25-2012, 10:40 PM
I would have asked you if the Bills made the playoffs in that timeframe.

In the end, Wins and losses are the only stats that count.

You also conveniently failed to mention that he led the league in INT's thrown, with 23.

-Bill

I didnt mention the INTs primarily because that really wasnt the point, and 2, at least 1/4 came because of our WRs inability to catch a pass, and the W/L once again does not matter in this thread because its geered to the idea that 3 years ago this is all we wanted.

BLeonard
01-26-2012, 12:09 AM
I didnt mention the INTs primarily because that really wasnt the point, and 2, at least 1/4 came because of our WRs inability to catch a pass, and the W/L once again does not matter in this thread because its geered to the idea that 3 years ago this is all we wanted.

Quite honestly, I'd rather have the QB throw for less than 200 yards and win the game than have him throw for over 400 yards and lose the game.

Jim Kelly's highest yardage ever for a season was 3844 in 1991. He never threw for 4000 yards in a season, yet the Bills won a lot of games with him under center.

I don't know who you mean by "this is all we wanted," but I certainly wouldn't trade victories for QB stats.

BTW, Fitz only had 3 games in which he three for 300 plus yards... The Bills lost two of them.

I want a QB that wins games, regardless of how many yards he throws for.

-Bill

feldspar
01-26-2012, 02:35 AM
The poll question makes no sense...just sayin'.

...so, Fitz threw for x number of yards, and so we should all be thrilled about that, huh? It's fine and dandy...not a bad thing. But, to put a little perspective on it, Fitzy threw the ball 569 times. You are going to put up numbers if you throw it that much no matter who you are.

But if you look at yards-per-attempt, Fitz was tied for 22nd in the league in that category at 6.7 yards per attempt. YPA is a more telling stat, for what it's worth. You can't just look at stats and tell what happened.

Losman's 2006 numbers would have been larger than Fitz's 2011 numbers had Losman thrown the ball as much as Fitz did this year. Also, Buffalo's ability to run the ball well always helps a QB...tied for 4th in yards per carry this year.

Night Train
01-26-2012, 04:22 AM
It's stats without the story. How much was garbage time ? How many INT's at critical times ?

YardRat
01-26-2012, 05:19 AM
I would say our offensive line and defense still sucks so who cares.

It isn't about the QB, it's about the trenches.

feldspar
01-26-2012, 05:53 AM

The Bills allowed the fewest sacks in the NFL this year. They also were 4th in yards-per-carry in the running game, like I said. I don't care how quick your QB's release is or how good your RB is, you don't have these stats if your o-line totally sucks.

Wood was gone for half the year. Levitre is a very good Guard, and he should STAY there...but we moved him around. Pears was fairly solid. Urbik just OK. Bell is ever improving when he isn't hurt. Hairston has shown some real potential. We just need more depth and maybe another starter. These guys weren't THAT bad mostly.

Bill Cody
01-26-2012, 09:13 AM
Yards used to matter. Now 300 yard games are routine. We all have eyeballs. We know what Fitz is and what he isn't. If the goal is 6-10 he's your man.

Bill Cody
01-26-2012, 09:18 AM

It's a QB league, more now than ever before. The days of Mark Rypien or Trent Dilfer winning a Bowl are as over as film in cameras. Yes we have plenty of other holes. But it's flat out absurd not to include Fitz high on the list of needs for upgrade, assuming your goal is a championship. Fitz will NEVER win a SB.

Philagape
01-26-2012, 09:33 AM
i remember in 2009 everyone just being like can we just have a quarterback who gets 300 yds in a game.

Not even close to everyone. Some of us know how shallow certain stats can be, especially when isolated.

JCBills
01-26-2012, 09:53 AM
The Bills allowed the fewest sacks in the NFL this year. They also were 4th in yards-per-carry in the running game, like I said. I don't care how quick your QB's release is or how good your RB is, you don't have these stats if your o-line totally sucks.

Wood was gone for half the year. Levitre is a very good Guard, and he should STAY there...but we moved him around. Pears was fairly solid. Urbik just OK. Bell is ever improving when he isn't hurt. Hairston has shown some real potential. We just need more depth and maybe another starter. These guys weren't THAT bad mostly.

When everyone was where they should be, they looked very good. Bell has steadily improved at LT. He had a hard time staying healthy this past season, but if he can get back to where he should be, LT is fine. Levitre was playing on an all pro level before the shuffle. Wood was right up there as well. Urbik, when not being moved, lived up to his billing and played very well. Pears was all around solid as well. Hairston showed promise filling in. I'm not too concerned about the OL, just more depth.

PTI
01-26-2012, 12:17 PM
I would say the average team threw for 3850 yards. 22 teams threw for 20 TDs this year.

Bills were 16th in yards passing,

This is seriously not a big deal at all. Fitzpatrick still sucks and is by far the worst unquestioned starter in the NFL, returning for the same title of worst unquestioned starter in the NFL for the 2nd year in a row.

trapezeus
01-26-2012, 12:20 PM
i'd like to welcome ryan fitzpatrick to the board from BBMB. nice to have you.

Cali512
01-26-2012, 01:40 PM
I would say the average team threw for 3850 yards. 22 teams threw for 20 TDs this year.

Bills were 16th in yards passing,

This is seriously not a big deal at all. Fitzpatrick still sucks and is by far the worst unquestioned starter in the NFL, returning for the same title of worst unquestioned starter in the NFL for the 2nd year in a row.

I love how people fail to mention the fact that Jackson, Chandler, and Wood were all injured half the year and that our defense sucked ass.

PTI
01-26-2012, 01:55 PM
I love how people fail to mention the fact that Jackson, Chandler, and Wood were all injured half the year and that our defense sucked ass.

OK, then must also take away from all those yards and TDs then, for your logic says the Bills defense sucks and they have no weapons, so they are always losing, so they had to pass the ball then, hence the 3800 yards. Not to mention your QB throws 25 picks and puts the team in a bad spot where they are losing all the time and must pass the ball. Not to mention we have a pass happy OC acting as our HC.

Fitzpatrick sucks badly and needs to go be 3rd string on some team. He is not even as good as John Kitna was.

Novacane
01-26-2012, 07:10 PM

-Bill

LOL. No kidding.

YardRat
01-26-2012, 07:47 PM
The Bills allowed the fewest sacks in the NFL this year.

That's a junk stat, just as bad as holding up the team's defensive passing yards against to 'prove' how great our secondary was supposed to be.

They also were 4th in yards-per-carry in the running game, like I said. I don't care how quick your QB's release is or how good your RB is, you don't have these stats if your o-line totally sucks.

They had their moments, but even some of the better runs were more of an indication of how good Freddie was, not the offensive line, i.e. Bell getting blown up so badly and so far into the backfield against Oakland it opened up the entire left side for Jackson to rip off a long one.

Wood was gone for half the year. Levitre is a very good Guard, and he should STAY there...but we moved him around. Pears was fairly solid. Urbik just OK. Bell is ever improving when he isn't hurt. Hairston has shown some real potential. We just need more depth and maybe another starter.

Wood is average...maybe he can still become dominant. Agree on Levitre. Pears was solid in the run game, terrible against the pass. Agree on Urbick. Bell is terrible, and even though I'm pretty high on Hairston especially at LT (contrary to some other's opinions) he actually seemed to regress as the season wore on.

These guys weren't THAT bad mostly.

'Not that bad' isn't anywhere near good enough.

BertSquirtgum
01-26-2012, 09:30 PM
In 2012 we would have a quarterback who just came off a nearly 4000 yd year, beat NE with a 380+ yd game, and had 20+ TDs without 3 major components on Offense? I mean seriously, 3 years ago we were estatic at Trent Edwards throwing for 200 yds in a game and a TD. I was apart of BBMB and i know the attitudes cant be much different here, but i remember in 2009 everyone just being like can we just have a quarterback who gets 300 yds in a game. Not to mention having no WRs aside from parrish who were drafted higher than the 7th round. So my question is, 3 years ago would u of been happy if i said we would have a QB have these stats?

Fitzpatrick sucks. What is wrong with you people?

Mike
01-26-2012, 09:56 PM
No offense but the Poll is missing a lot. If you asked me this 3 years ago I would have asked you a number of questions such as: what were total stats (TD, INT, Fub, Yards, Wins, etc), who was supporting cast (if he has a bunch of All Pros I would expect more) and most importantly how does he play the game (how does he look).

In the words of Einstein, "there are lies, damn lies, and there are stats"!

Mr. Pink
01-26-2012, 10:37 PM
Hmmm...

Don't mention he doesn't make enough plays to win games and he doesn't do a particularly good job at protecting the football.

While he's not terrible, he ain't great either. And that's before he packed it in after getting the big dollars. He simply got worse after that occurred. Regardless of how many excuses you want to give him for it, the proof is there.

Albany,n.y.
01-27-2012, 11:05 AM

The only stats I care about are wins & losses. QB stats are virtually meaningless without context. So if you told me in 2009 that our record for the next 3 years would be 6-10, 4-12 and 6-10 I would say I'd be very unhappy with the QB play. Also if you told me that in 2011 we'd give a boatload of money to the QB after 6 games and then we'd win only 2 more games the rest of the way, I'd say it sounds as bad as the Jauron extension.

ublinkwescore
01-27-2012, 09:31 PM
I don't think this is all that fair to judge fitz on. we lost two key cogs on Defense (Kyle Williams and Shawne Merriman), in addition to other contributors - (Aaron Williams) and our O line's apparent lack of depth was tragic. this front office is our best chance at righting this ship that we've seen in a while. let's let them put the roster together and clean up the Donahoe Levy mess. this front office has fielded teams that have had a knack for dismantling the patriots, I want them to continue to handle our offseason acquisitions and drafts. I say give buddy knix two more complete offseasons unless we really tank this upcoming season at less than 8-8.