• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BLeonard
    BoB Sabermetrician
    • Jan 2003

Super Bowl Ticket Sales Prove That Patriots Have Bandwagon Fan Base

I get chastised relentlessly for calling out frontrunning fan bases, but this time I can point to hard evidence.

Fox 25 in Boston is reporting that less than 10 percent of all Super Bowl tickets purchased through StubHub have been to New Englanders. Why? Because most of the Boston fans are outside of the city. Pats fans have popped up over the past decade and will vanish as soon as another dynasty emerges.

You don’t actually think that all of those Red Sox fans at Camden Yards are coming from Boston do you? NO. They’re coming from Virginia or Delaware.
    -Bill
  • utmhead
    • Oct 2005

Re: Super Bowl Ticket Sales Prove That Patriots Have Bandwagon Fan Base

Originally posted by BLeonard
    How does it prove band wagon fans ?
    NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS, they are not the BOSTON PATRIOTS
    How many people can afford to even go to the superbowl anyhow??
    Spend 10 k on 1 game is crazy

come on Bill, you are better than this

Comment

• BLeonard
      BoB Sabermetrician
      • Jan 2003

Originally posted by utmhead
      How does it prove band wagon fans ?
      NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS, they are not the BOSTON PATRIOTS
      How many people can afford to even go to the superbowl anyhow??
      Spend 10 k on 1 game is crazy

come on Bill, you are better than this
      Heh, I didn't write it, I simply linked it...

The rematch angle isn't catching fire yet in a large part of New England. Less than 2.5 percent of the tickets sold came from residents in Rhode Island, New Hampshire, Maine and Vermont. (Connecticut has loyalists on both sides.) New Yorkers, meanwhile, grabbed 13 percent of the tickets. New Jersey residents, where the Giants actually play, bought 8 percent. It's early, but the results seem surprising for a Patriots team that is known for its rabid following.
      Is that better...?

-Bill

Comment

• utmhead
        • Oct 2005

Better, but still you have to admit, crazy to spend that kind of money to go support your team right ??

Comment

• BLeonard
          BoB Sabermetrician
          • Jan 2003

Better, but still you have to admit, crazy to spend that kind of money to go support your team right ??
          Would I spend what some people spend in order to go the the Super Bowl? No.

But, I'm also pretty sure that a certain percentage of the tickets are held back for the fans of the two teams playing and are sold at face value. It's not a big percentage and you'd have to get lucky enough to win a lottery-type system, I'm sure, in order to be allowed to buy those tix.

But, if all of those things fell into place (the Bills playing and having a chance to buy the tix at face value) I would certainly consider going, if I had the money available.

-Bill
          Last edited by BLeonard; 01-27-2012, 11:39 AM.

Comment

• utmhead
            • Oct 2005

Originally posted by BLeonard
            Would I spend what some people spend in order to go the the Super Bowl? No.

But, I'm also pretty sure that a certain percentage of the tickets are held back for the fans of the two teams playing and are sold at face value. It's not a big percentage and you'd have to get lucky enough to win a lottery-type system, I'm sure, in order to be allowed to buy those tix.

But, if all of those things fell into place (the Bills playing and having a chance to buy the tix at face value) I would certainly consider going, if I had the money available.

-Bill
            I had the chance, $725 each ticket, does not include airfare, hotel anything else. So to me that would easily be 3-4 k, that for me is a couple of mortgage payments. Not in this lifetime

Comment

• BLeonard
              BoB Sabermetrician
              • Jan 2003

I had the chance, $725 each ticket, does not include airfare, hotel anything else. So to me that would easily be 3-4 k, that for me is a couple of mortgage payments. Not in this lifetime
              Fair enough... Don't know whwre you are from, or what year you had the chance.

But, for example, if the Bills were playing in this year's Super Bowl in Indy, I live in Indiana, so Indy is a 2 1/2 hour drive from my house.

All depends on the scenario and I certainly can see the argument against it, but can't say for certain that I wouldn't go, under any circumstances.

-Bill

Comment

• utmhead
                • Oct 2005

I live in Boston and this year, someone I know has tickets and was willing to sell them to me for $725. Flights alone were going crazy.
                If it was just tickets alone yeah, def I would go, but I can't drive to Indy.

Comment

• The King
                  Without me it's just Awe so
                  • Jun 2004

I have been to Camden Yards from Boston. What's up!?
                  I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
                  "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
                  You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
                  It was all
                  true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
                  He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
                  mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

Comment

• Mike13
                    • Aug 2005

All Boston Sports fans are Bandwagonners.

Prior to 2001 Foxborough was empty.
                    No one showed up to Celtics games for a looooooooooooong time.
                    Hel even when the beloved Swax sucked balls Fenway was empty.

Foniest fanbase in all of sports.

Comment

• EricStratton
                      • Jul 2002

Big Blue Travel in Jersey has packages with air, hotel, rental car, pre-game tailgate and game ticket for a low price of $5800.00 per person (you must buy 2).

Comment

• The King
                        Without me it's just Awe so
                        • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Mike13
                        All Boston Sports fans are Bandwagonners.

Prior to 2001 Foxborough was empty.
                        No one showed up to Celtics games for a looooooooooooong time.
                        Hel even when the beloved Swax sucked balls Fenway was empty.

Foniest fanbase in all of sports.
                        its like this in every fan base, when the team plays well people show up, when they suck they dont. Look at Bills games in Sept and Dec
                        I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
                        "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
                        You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
                        It was all
                        true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
                        He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
                        mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

Comment

• DynaPaul
                          • Sep 2003

Don't worry, all of those people will be hiding for a long time when NE loses this Sunday to the Giants AGAIN!

Comment

Working...
                          X