PDA

View Full Version : I personally think that the Colts skip Luck & pay Manning his $

Skooby
01-27-2012, 11:34 PM
Peyton has been a superstar for them with multiple years to play, I think that they skip Luck & draft the best player outside of him.

You don't mess with a local God or talent that single-handledly leads your team to a winning season, no way.

Edit: I'm wrong, Peyton looks to be getting cut-

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/01/28/report-decision-on-peyton-mannings-future-made-weeks-ago/

SquishDaFish
01-27-2012, 11:43 PM
I think they are taking Luck no matter what.

wozrob11
01-27-2012, 11:50 PM
peyton is due 28 million on march 8 so they have to pay him or release by that date paying a player 28 million to be a waterboy is not gonna happen even though he built that franchise and is the reason they have been in the playoffs for the last 11 years and deserves the money by far. paying him the 28 million to wait and see if he gets healthy is just dumb!paying peyton and keeping him and drafting luck gives the colts a major cap hit .its luck or manning not both lets get real he will be released! if the 49ers can trade joe montana than the colts can run peyton out of town with out losing a night of sleep.BUT...... if he is 100% healthy before that then WHO THE **** KNOWS what will happen then

jamze132
01-28-2012, 02:43 AM
Peyton has been a superstar for them with multiple years to play, I think that they skip Luck & draft the best player outside of him.

You don't mess with a local God or talent that single-handledly leads your team to a winning season, no way.
That would be the most ignorant thing the Colts could do. Luck might be the next Manning or Brady. You don't pass that up, especially when the incumbent is 36 frggin' years old with a busted ass neck.

jcdavey
01-28-2012, 02:50 AM
that would be incredibly dumb IMO

the smart move is draft luck and let peyton mentor him if peyton's healthy enough to still play the game

the money is inconsequential if peyton's still healthy enough to play the sport, because he has earned it if he can still play.

now if he can't play, you cut him....simple as that

that's business........and he knew the risk

jcdavey
01-28-2012, 02:53 AM
also peyton didn't single handedly do squat

people mistaking 2-14 for him being the real mvp are neglecting the fact the colts were complete idiots who built their offense around one man without having a backup plan or a real offensive coordinator

any team who makes their qb the oc is going to fail when that qb gets injured

the pats were smarter than that , and they have a MUCH better head coach

feldspar
01-28-2012, 03:16 AM
How can they NOT draft Luck? A guy named Luck with a horseshoe on his helmet...a "lucky" horseshoe. They will draft Luck, no doubt. They would be out of their minds not to. If they really want Peyton to play (and it's not looking that way), they should draft Luck anyway. The rookie wage scale makes this much more affordable. I mean, Aaron Rodgers sat behind Brett Favre for three years.

What's still totally incredible to me is that the Colts are in this situation in the first place. Who would have thunk it?

This is THE story of the upcoming off-season. THAT'S entertainment. I just hope to God that Peyton Manning doesn't go to the Jets or Dolphins. Peyton played his first 4 years in the AFC East (before the restructure), remember. This would put him back. We'd have Manning AND Brady in the same division. That fat bastard Rex Ryan has a chubby for Manning...

Ginger Vitis
01-28-2012, 06:14 AM
Skooby you have truly gone off the rails

Night Train
01-28-2012, 06:45 AM
You put the L in Loon.

better days
01-28-2012, 07:56 AM
I think the Bills will resign the local God in Buffalo, Jim Kelly to a 50 year contract for $500 Billion Dollars.

THRILLHO
01-28-2012, 07:58 AM
Drafting Luck has zero to do with keeping Manning, and vice versa. I think the draft Luck and keep Manning.

Skooby
01-28-2012, 08:49 AM
You don't make the playoffs for a decade because of one guy & then shelve him after an injury that he's been playing through.

Forward_Lateral
01-28-2012, 08:59 AM
The 49ers let Joe Montana go.

ublinkwescore
01-28-2012, 10:29 AM

I think you would be wrong, and Peyton Manning will understand why they did. that being said, I do seriously think that the colts were due for an "off" season where they just weren't going to perform to their normal par. That team was loaded offensively, and always has been. That team has had great depth as well much like the Pats, it's a system team. I think Luck is a colt regardless, the real question is - where does Manning end up - Indy or Miami - hopefully the prior because we will have a tough decision to make if Peyton goes to Miami - do we go best pass rusher to try to complete our D, or do we go QB and try to bring the future here quicker?

better days
01-28-2012, 11:00 AM
You don't make the playoffs for a decade because of one guy & then shelve him after an injury that he's been playing through.

Even if Manning were HEALTHY which he is not, he will soon be 38 years old. You don't pass on a prospect like Luck when you have the chance to draft him.

The Packers drafted Rodgers when Favre was still playing WELL.

imbondz
01-28-2012, 11:55 AM
all they have to do is spin it Favre - Rodgers. done. everyones happy. not a chance they don't draft Luck. they'd be the dumbest franchise ever. now whether it pays off for them we'll see. better them than Miami.

Raptor
01-28-2012, 02:33 PM
The draft starts with St.Louis at #2

Luck to the Colts has been a lock since the second he declared

sdbillsfan2
01-28-2012, 03:13 PM
Why would the Colts show loyalty to Peyton when they have a history of stabbing those loyal to the Colts? They told the city of Baltimore addios, so how hard is it to say Good bye to Peyton? This is business ...23mil ? he's gone! Luck will fill the seats starting from day one and nobody expects Petyton like numbers for the first year or two from him. Save the money grab the draft choices and send him packing.

Ickybaluky
01-28-2012, 03:32 PM
Even if Manning were HEALTHY which he is not, he will soon be 38 years old. You don't pass on a prospect like Luck when you have the chance to draft him.

Manning will be 36 in a couple months. He wont' be 38 until 2014.

Ickybaluky
01-28-2012, 03:35 PM
Why would the Colts show loyalty to Peyton when they have a history of stabbing those loyal to the Colts?

Irsay is going to kick Manning to the curb 40 years after his father did the same with Johnny Unitas.

Albany,n.y.
01-28-2012, 03:37 PM

To quote Mitt Romney-Do you want to bet $10,000 on that?

Crisis
01-28-2012, 03:53 PM

http://i.imgur.com/a4hmJ.gif

Don't Panic
01-28-2012, 03:57 PM
If the neck checks out, Manning has at least 4 good years left in him. Age will not affect him like many other QBs because he doesn't rely on athleticism one bit. So if the neck checks out, you have two scenarios, IMO:

A. Cut him loose and draft Luck. Turn the page. Load up on free agents and rebuild the D. Shoot for another "dynasty" in the 10-15 year range. Best case scenario: 5+ Super Bowls. Likely scenario: 2-3 Super Bowls.

B. Trade Luck for a package of picks and players. Fortify the D. Make a run for the next four years. Best case scenario: 2 Super Bowls. Likely scenario: 1 Super Bowl.

I'd take A, but I couldn't argue with B if he checks out healthy.

I guess a case could be made for keeping Manning and drafting Luck, but I'm having a hard time seeing that one given the bonus. At the same time, some could argue that the new rookie cap saved Irsay $28 million that he would have had to give to Luck, so he can justify giving it to Manning and keeping both.

YardRat
01-28-2012, 04:19 PM
28mil is a tough nut to swallow, but best case scenario for the Colts would be to keep Manning and draft Luck.

Albany,n.y.
01-28-2012, 06:08 PM
If the neck checks out, Manning has at least 4 good years left in him. Age will not affect him like many other QBs because he doesn't rely on athleticism one bit. So if the neck checks out, you have two scenarios, IMO:

A. Cut him loose and draft Luck. Turn the page. Load up on free agents and rebuild the D. Shoot for another "dynasty" in the 10-15 year range. Best case scenario: 5+ Super Bowls. Likely scenario: 2-3 Super Bowls.

B. Trade Luck for a package of picks and players. Fortify the D. Make a run for the next four years. Best case scenario: 2 Super Bowls. Likely scenario: 1 Super Bowl.

I'd take A, but I couldn't argue with B if he checks out healthy.

I guess a case could be made for keeping Manning and drafting Luck, but I'm having a hard time seeing that one given the bonus. At the same time, some could argue that the new rookie cap saved Irsay $28 million that he would have had to give to Luck, so he can justify giving it to Manning and keeping both.
People thought the same thing about Kelly when he was Manning's age & he didn't have 4 years left. I doubt Manning has 4 years left even if he plays again-Montana didn't have 4 years in KC. Any team that trades for or signs Manning is looking at 1 or 2 years & trying to win a title in 2012 or 2013. After that Manning will be retired. In reality, he's probably already retired.

Skooby
01-28-2012, 06:19 PM
I'm wrong, Manning looks to be getting cut:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/01/28/report-decision-on-peyton-mannings-future-made-weeks-ago/

Mr. Pink
01-28-2012, 06:23 PM
I'm gonna laugh when the Colts somehow decide to take RGIII instead. lol

Skooby
01-28-2012, 06:29 PM

Coin toss as to who is better, I'd still take Luck.

better days
01-28-2012, 10:08 PM
Manning will be 36 in a couple months. He wont' be 38 until 2014.

Like I said SOON.

better days
01-28-2012, 10:14 PM

Well, this post just proves that people have their doubts about Luck, which I do as well. So MANY people had him anointed a can't miss franchise QB just a couple months ago. Now some people are saying RGIII may be better & I guarantee RGIII is NOT a CAN'T miss prospect.

DynaPaul
02-01-2012, 11:23 AM
They're not going to pay Manning. Irsay is already laying the PR moves down thick in anticipation of cutting him.

Bill Cody
02-01-2012, 12:07 PM
They're not going to pay Manning. Irsay is already laying the PR moves down thick in anticipation of cutting him.

Yeah Irsay's about as sentimental as his dad.

Skooby
02-01-2012, 12:27 PM
Yeah Irsay's about as sentimental as his dad.

He's a real gem.

justasportsfan
02-01-2012, 12:55 PM
they can build around Luck who will come cheap compared to Peyton who prevents them from building on the otherside of the ball.