PDA

View Full Version : LaFontaine sounds off on concussions

Fitzpatrick'sbeard
01-28-2012, 08:48 PM
"It's a serious, almost epidemic these days," LaFontaine said. "It's not going away. The forces are there. You have to understand what's giving is the head and the neck, and we need to continue to put in the proper rules, whatever it takes to protect the head and the neck in our game.

"I left the game with tremendous gratitude, no regrets. I was fortunate to get out and I had no residual effects. I was a lucky one. I don't have any lingering problems, but that's not the case all the time. There are guys that struggle, so whatever I can do as a former player to help out, I'm happy."

LaFontaine recently talked with the Flyers' Danny Briere, who is out with a serious concussion. He has reached out to Pittsburgh superstar Sidney Crosby, who has missed most of the past two seasons with concussions.

LaFontaine is very concerned for the future of Crosby, who is only 24.

"I'm hopeful, but I also know science," he said. "I also know what happens if you get multiple head injuries. When you're at this point and it's taken you not much of a hit to put you that far out, it's very concerning."

LaFontaine still vividly recalls the type of days Crosby and Briere are experiencing.

"A bad day is you have no enthusiasm," he said. "You have a migraine headache. You're anxious. You don't want to leave the house. You're very emotional. You just can't see the light. There's no spark. There's nothing, and you can't find it. It's a very confusing place. I wouldn't be able to sit and have a conversation."

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/bills-nfl/article716852.ece