• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fitzpatrick'sbeard
    Veteran Zoner
    • Aug 2011

Sabres' Black hints at possible changes among 'core' players

"It's a tough year," the team president said.

That summed up the obvious. The Sabres are 14th in the 15-team Eastern Conference. They've won only four times in 18 games. The season is well on the way to becoming a lost one.

Black isn't quite there. After all, something good may eventually come out of the struggles. That's the hope, anyway.

"I wouldn't say that about any season [being a lost one] because you never know where the seeds of greatness are going to be planted," Black said. "So I wouldn't say it's a lost season because that would suggest somehow we're abandoning our efforts, and we're not."

Fans hoping for change at the top should abandon their efforts, though. For the umpteenth time, Black expressed his support for General Manager Darcy Regier and coach Lindy Ruff.

"If this was a court reporter, I'd ask to read back the record on prior answers," Black said regarding his support for the NHL's longest-tenured duo.

The players may not be as safe.

"Our commitment is to winning, not to any particular group of players that are labeled as a core," Black said. "Take that for what it's worth."

Black, unlike others in the organization, did not pull out the injury excuse while discussing the struggles. Plain and simple, the players are not performing.

"Guys are just on pace to have career-low years in key categories such as goals," Black said. "If you had a team that had Lemieux, Gretzky, Orr and Howe, and imported their worst statistical years, you'd probably have a team that wasn't going to make the playoffs. There's no slight to those great players, the fact is every player has a career-best year, and every player has a career-worst year.

"Unfortunately, we've got a lot of guys that are on track to have their worst year on the same team in the same year. ... If you have too many guys that have below average or worse, you're just not going to win."
    Last edited by Fitzpatrick'sbeard; 01-29-2012, 01:03 PM.
  • YardRat
    Well, lookie here...
    • Dec 2004

Re: Sabres' Black hints at possible changes among 'core' players

Good, because our 'core' players are barely good enough to be fill-ins on most other teams.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• MitchMurrayDowntown
      Skoobasaurus-Rex
      • Oct 2011

Originally posted by YardRat
      Good, because our 'core' players are barely good enough to be fill-ins on most other teams.
      Our "core" is rotten, it needs to be thrown away.

Comment

• Fitzpatrick'sbeard
        Veteran Zoner
        • Aug 2011

very interesting,

Jeremy Roenick said in the first intermission that Columbus is trying to move Jeff Carter Columbus GM says that he's 100% available.

J.R. "he's got a big contract 10 years remaining and a $5.27 million cap hit, But the Buffalo Sabres have the money and Carter has played with Leino on the Flyers so there could be chemistry there, something that the Sabres need more of, and this is the type of trade that could help Leino get his game back". Carter is also a bonafide center something that the Sabres need.
        Last edited by Fitzpatrick'sbeard; 01-29-2012, 06:54 PM.

Comment

• YardRat
          Well, lookie here...
          • Dec 2004

Originally posted by Fitzpatrick'sbeard
          very interesting,

Jeremy Roenick said in the first intermission that Columbus is trying to move Jeff Carter Columbus GM says that he's 100% available.
          Be interesting to see what moves would have to be made to fit that under the cap.
          YardRat Wall of Fame
          #56 DARRYL TALLEY
          #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• clumping platelets

I've never been a JR fan but I actually agree with him. I think bringing in Jeff Carter would be a good move.

Stafford would absolutely need to be part of that trade. Free up $4 million each of the next 3 seasons. Move out Boyes and you have the cap space needed for Carter this season.

You just need to add more to the deal with Columbus.

Stafford + for Carter

You could even move Boyes to a team that would give you a prospect that could then be included in this deal.

Comment

• Electrici
              • May 2003

Carter being available is actually kind of intriguing to me. He has some pretty nice numbers, outside of playing for Columbus this year. Production in the playoffs leaves something to be desired also. But he would be an upgrade at center, and may have a positive effect on Leino. Who knows... interesting to me, but I'm not going to hold my breath about it.

Edit: I was unaware Carter was in the midst of a 11 year contract. Jeezus. That changes things.
              Last edited by Electrici; 01-30-2012, 01:37 AM.

Comment

• MitchMurrayDowntown
                Skoobasaurus-Rex
                • Oct 2011

Originally posted by Electrici
                Carter being available is actually kind of intriguing to me. He has some pretty nice numbers, outside of playing for Columbus this year. Production in the playoffs leaves something to be desired also. But he would be an upgrade at center, and may have a positive effect on Leino. Who knows... interesting to me, but I'm not going to hold my breath about it.

Edit: I was unaware Carter was in the midst of a 11 year contract. Jeezus. That changes things.
                Eleven smeven, we need Leino to fight fight fight.

Comment

• TheGhostofJimKelly
                  • May 2003

I would pass on Jeff Carter. The fans here hate Roy and Carter is exactly the same person as Roy. There is a reason why Philadelphia got rid of him and now Columbus is ready to dump him. I know we all fall in love with names, but that is a cancer this team doesn't need.

Comment

• ddaryl
                    Everything I post is sexual inuendo
                    • Jan 2005

gut the damn team. This one is going no where. Time for a full rebuild before we waste too much of Pegula's money trying to make this band of misfits into a contender

Comment

• OpIv37
                      Acid Douching Asswipe
                      • Sep 2002

Talk is cheap. I'll believe it when I see something happen.

Originally posted by TheGhostofJimKelly
                      I would pass on Jeff Carter. The fans here hate Roy and Carter is exactly the same person as Roy. There is a reason why Philadelphia got rid of him and now Columbus is ready to dump him. I know we all fall in love with names, but that is a cancer this team doesn't need.
                      I don't know enough about Carter to respond directly, but what exactly is the team supposed to do? Contracts are guaranteed in the NHL and our ****ty players are eating up big chunks of cash. Translation: the only way we can move guys like Stafford and Roy is if we find some sort of cap-neutral trade and hope the guy we get in return just needs a change of scenery. No one is going to take a chance on their cap hit unless they can unload some cap themselves.

Again, I don't know if Carter is the right guy or not, but if we do move someone, chances are that fans of the other team involved in the trade will view the player we get in the exact same way that we currently view Roy and Stafford.
                      MiKiDo Facebook
                      MiKiDo Website

Comment

• SkateZilla
                        • Dec 2002

On June 23, 2011, the Flyers shook up the NHL world by dealing Jeff Carter—their one-time leading goal scorer and the previous November's 11-year deal signee—to the ...

Pass on Carter, we have enough of the Forwards that:
                        ut all of the flaws in his game were becoming more and more apparent:
                        *Poor in the faceoff circle,
                        *prone to coast along the ice,
                        *trouble getting back to play defense,
                        *unwilling to go into the corners.
                        Does this sound familiar?
                        His failure time and again to take the puck to the net caused him to usually skate wide and fire poorly angled shots at the net. More often than not, his shots would go high and wide, often setting up easy breakout plays for the opposition.
                        Skate Zilla
                        -----------------------
                        Skate Zilla HD Studios:
                        SKATE ZILLA HD STUDIOS

Comment

• SabreEleven
                          • Aug 2002

Originally posted by SkateZilla
                          http://bleacherreport.com/articles/9...aid-off-so-far

Pass on Carter, we have enough of the Forwards that:

Does this sound familiar?
                          He would fit PERFECTLY here.

Comment

• Electrici
                            • May 2003

Originally posted by TheGhostofJimKelly
                            Great point. I took a look at his point totals and they are good. Didn't factor in poor faceoff win% and that he was surprisingly let go by Philadelphia, now less than a year later, Columbus is willing to get rid of him.

Comment

• PTI
                              Banned
                              • Jan 2011

Sabres need to trade Miller, he is least liked player on the team by far in the locker room.

Comment

Working...
                              X