PDA

View Full Version : Why The Buffalo Bills' Defensive Alignment Doesn't Matter

YardRat
01-29-2012, 04:13 PM
Part 1 - http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2012/1/26/2732917/buffalo-bills-defense-dave-wannstedt
Part 2 - http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2012/1/29/2754642/why-the-buffalo-bills-defensive-alignment-doesnt-matter-part-2

The defensive alignment that the Buffalo Bills (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/teams/buffalo-bills) choose for 2012 continues as a point of debate amongst fans, sparked by the firing of George Edwards as defensive coordinator and subsequent promotion of Dave Wannstedt to the same position. Buffalo's hybrid defensive alignment over the past two seasons, where they ran both three- and four-man fronts, is the kindling for the debate. Wannstedt's experience running the 4-3, past statements by GM Buddy Nix that Buffalo will draft for a 3-4 alignment, and Nix's recent comments about Buffalo's use of both fronts add more fuel to the fire. The arrival of the off-season - where each prospect is debated by the merits of scheme fit - really gets the blaze going.

Here's the thing about the debate, though: it doesn't matter. That's a pretty bold statement. The implications of Buffalo's hybrid defense, along with observations of their use of three- and four-man fronts, indicate that stating a desired alignment doesn't really affect what the Bills are going to do. (Or, for that matter, have been doing.) After watching the Bills this season, they played variations of the Bullough-Fairbanks 3-4, over and under fronts, with the Jack and Sam linebackers acting as an elephant at times. When the Bills went 4-3, they played a 46 variation. When the two fronts are overlaid, we'll see that there's not much difference.

Night Train
01-29-2012, 05:36 PM
What matters is TALENT and the Bills need a huge increase at DE & OLB

djjimkelly
01-29-2012, 05:43 PM
thats why courtney upshaw makes the most sense very scheme diverse

dareus and upshaw for the next 10 years sounds like a nice plan!!!!!!

psubills62
01-29-2012, 11:14 PM
I haven't been around the boards much lately. Are you saying the Bills still haven't decided what they're going with?

Honestly, it's quite a dilemma. One of our best defensive players, K. Williams, is best in the 4-3. However, most of our current defensive roster is fit for a 3-4 (I know, they may not be talented, but that's where they fit). So making us a 4-3 means you need to remake a good chunk of both our starters AND our depth. Keeping the 3-4 means you need to fit K. Williams and get some more stud starters, not to mention making our current DC uncomfortable with the scheme.

Just a mess.

bosshogg21
01-30-2012, 02:32 AM
I thought you were saying it doesn't matter because they suck at both of them. I really don't think it matters what we run. Until we get pressure from the line we'll always be in the bottom third of the league defensively. We haven't really had anybody since Bruce and that is sad.

I look at the giants line and realize they have 4 or 5 guys that get to the qb better than any of ours....le sigh.

clumping platelets
01-30-2012, 03:17 AM
We need LB's with the speed to generate pass rush and cover backs out of the backfield

jamze132
01-30-2012, 05:19 AM
OLBs are what we need. And not the K. Mitchell type.