PDA

View Full Version : Estimating the Value of WR Stevie Johnson

BLeonard
01-29-2012, 05:59 PM
Thought this was an interesting read: http://nyjetscap.com/2012_Articles/steviejohnsonvalue.php

Johnson should be worth somewhere between $8.45 and $8.6 million a year to a team. There is no escape from a three year total, which is essentially guaranteed. Other than Jennings, who only received 3 new years, all of the current long term extension players received around $30 million. He should not receive less than $28.5 million. In terms of firm guarantees he will be in the $18 million range. Holmes received $24 million which is far more than anyone else at the position, but nearly $8 million of that is a conditional guarantee based on being on the roster, something that he may not even be by the end of this month. That brings his real guarantee down into the $16 million range. So he will probably receive around $18 million in guaranteed money.

If the Bills can get Johnson for $7.5 million a season it’s a real steal. If the team still believes he is only worth $5.5 million a season then there is no possible way to reach a deal. Johnson is worth far more on the open market. The Bills can threaten Johnson with the franchise tag, but with an estimate of about $9.3 million I can’t see why they would do that. The franchise tag is meant for either an older player that is still playing well, such as 31 year old Wes Welker, or a one year wonder like Austin. Johnson will be 26 and has already put together 2 solid seasons. Franchising him does not benefit Buffalo in any way.

I’d be surprised if Johnson ends up under $8 million a season, unless it contains some relatively easy incentives to bump up the value of the deal. I also can’t see him reaching the $9 million threshold, but he firmly belongs somewhere in between. Buffalo should be coming down from that number not up from $5.5 million if they really want to keep him. If the $7.5 million a year still stands they should be calling up Johnson’s agent and asking him if Johnson can sign that deal right now. I guess we shall see in the next few months how this all plays out.

-Bill

jamze132
01-30-2012, 05:25 AM
We'll soon find out of Johnson is full of crap for wanting to play in Buffalo.

stuckincincy
01-30-2012, 12:02 PM
We'll soon find out of Johnson is full of crap for wanting to play in Buffalo.

With the rules as they are now, snagging 76 is pedestrian. He oft came up small when it mattered.

I think he's just another self-aggrandizing braggadocio. The NFL drips with such.

I'd let him walk.

Bill Cody
01-30-2012, 12:13 PM
I think he's just another self-aggrandizing braggadocio.

Well he is a wide receiver.

X-Era
01-30-2012, 12:20 PM
The value is right around 8 mill. If he wants 7.5 we should pay it; its a bargain.

Stewie
01-30-2012, 12:31 PM
The way we play, we don't have the luxury of keeping players at their value. Keep him on the gd roster, whatever it takes.

kingJofNYC
01-30-2012, 12:57 PM
I find it hard to believe that a deal is not done if the asking price is 7.5m. Time will tell, but I doubt that's all Steve's asking for.

stuckincincy
01-30-2012, 01:16 PM
Well he is a wide receiver.

Ah yes...diversity.

ZAZusmc03
01-30-2012, 01:50 PM
I find it hard to believe that a deal is not done if the asking price is 7.5m. Time will tell, but I doubt that's all Steve's asking for.

I agree completely. I think Stevie is probably asking for a decent amount more than that, hense the reason a deal hasn't been done yet. If his asking price was actually at 7.5, the deal would be done already.

justasportsfan
01-30-2012, 01:59 PM
Stevie make Fitz better and Fitz makes Stevie better therfore Stevie may want the same amount we are paying Fitz.

Mike
01-31-2012, 03:32 AM
Why do you guys take the FO's side? They have been wrong for 12years now. They overspend on cheap players, and run the good ones out of town.

Maybe it's the bills that don't want Johnson. At 7.5mil, he's taking a hometown discount. Bills offering 5.5 is a slap in the face. If Johnson walks, it's the Bills who yet again failed to retain a good player only to instead overpay a bad player.

jamze132
01-31-2012, 05:59 AM
Johnson is playing this right. He needs to sit back and wait to see what Buffalo does during crunch time.