PDA

View Full Version : Look for an All-Star Game, Draft or Winter Classic game in Buffalo very soon

Fitzpatrick'sbeard
01-30-2012, 05:05 PM
The Buffalo Sabres want in.

Team President Ted Black this weekend reiterated his desire to bring any and all of the galas to Buffalo as soon as possible. Sunday's All-Star Game in Scotiabank Place concluded a four-day run of hockey and fan-friendly festivities that had residents and visitors smiling, talking and pulling out their wallets throughout Ottawa.

"Hockey fans in Buffalo would embrace it," said Sabres forward Luke Adam, who took part in the event along with teammate Jason Pominville. "It would be special for people in the surrounding areas, so why not? It's been a fun weekend. The fans are what make these events."

It appears the earliest Buffalo could get any of the three would be a draft in June 2013. Pittsburgh is hosting this season's selection process.

The All-Star Game likely isn't available until 2015. Columbus has the 2013 game, and there probably won't be one in 2014 because it's an Olympic year.

The Detroit Red Wings are the front-runners to host the next Winter Classic in Michigan Stadium, so the outdoor game isn't free until 2014.

"I want to see what we can do to bring those to Buffalo, whether it's draft, All-Star or maybe they're thinking about creating something new," said Black, who has had conversations with NHL Chief Operating Officer John Collins. "I did tell John that anything you want to do to highlight the game and promote the game, use us a lab rat. We're willing to do it.

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/sabres-nhl/article717450.ece

Electrici
01-30-2012, 06:25 PM
I think Bettman said he wasnt interested in going back to a city that already had a Winter Classic, so Buffalo is out for that, for a long time.

I'd say the draft is the most logical to be next. Although Pegula would probably go balls to the wall in spending for an All-star game.

SabreEleven
01-30-2012, 06:33 PM
Just because they ask for it, doesn't guarantee that they'll get it. You (LW) are great at making assumptions.

OpIv37
01-31-2012, 07:23 AM
Just because they ask for it, doesn't guarantee that they'll get it. You (LW) are great at making assumptions.

also, it's a pretty loose definition of "very soon" when the article says this:

The All-Star Game likely isn't available until 2015. Columbus has the 2013 game, and there probably won't be one in 2014 because it's an Olympic year.

The Detroit Red Wings are the front-runners to host the next Winter Classic in Michigan Stadium, so the outdoor game isn't free until 2014.

SabreEleven
01-31-2012, 07:35 AM
also, it's a pretty loose definition of "very soon" when the article says this:

There might be no outdoor game in 2014 either.

G Wolly
01-31-2012, 01:39 PM
I think Bettman said he wasnt interested in going back to a city that already had a Winter Classic, so Buffalo is out for that, for a long time.

That's fine. But if Philly, Detroit, and Pittsburgh get to be in it twice already, we should be able to.

SabreEleven
01-31-2012, 01:45 PM
That's fine. But if Philly, Detroit, and Pittsburgh get to be in it twice already, we should be able to.

Not when Philly, Detroit and Pittsburgh have a NHL team and the Sabres have an AHL even when fully heathly. The ONLY way the Sabres will get another outdoor game is if they have an elite NHL player or if the Sabres win the Stanley Cup. It will probably be 10 years before either happen.

clumping platelets
01-31-2012, 01:59 PM
I want the draft

SabreEleven
01-31-2012, 02:19 PM
I want the draft

it's the only thing we will get and that will probably take years because didn't we have it not too long?

G Wolly
01-31-2012, 04:08 PM
it's the only thing we will get and that will probably take years because didn't we have it not too long?

Lecavalier was chosen first overall and we selected Dmitri Kalinin with our first round pick, as well as selecting Ales Kotalik and good ol' Andrew Peters.

Other notable picks:
Simon Gagne
Scott Gomez
Brad Richards
Pavel Datsyuk

Fitzpatrick'sbeard
01-31-2012, 04:15 PM

1991 was the last time the Sabres held the draft, 1978 was when we had an All-Star Game

Dude
01-31-2012, 04:29 PM
I asked my wife the other day if I could have a hall pass like in the movie.

I expect I will get it very soon.

SabreEleven
01-31-2012, 05:02 PM
1991 was the last time the Sabres held the draft, 1978 was when we had an All-Star Game

check your facts again.

Philagape
01-31-2012, 05:14 PM
I was at the 91 draft, had a great time. Lindros refuses to don the Nodicks jersey. Niedermayer, Forsberg in top 6. How'd you like to be the GMs who took Pat Falloon and Scott Lachance?

JD
01-31-2012, 07:31 PM

I'd say the draft is the most logical to be next. Although Pegula would probably go balls to the wall in spending for an All-star game.

A long time? I'm curious as to how many teams are left that could host such an event with a cold climate...

Also, any chance that a indoor football arena would crank the A/C if it meant it could host a winter classic? Maybe open the roof..

Mski
01-31-2012, 07:41 PM
A long time? I'm curious as to how many teams are left that could host such an event with a cold climate...
well you can probably count out the canadian cities... they have the heritage classic, so my guess, minnesota, new jersey, yankee stadium, colorodo, but denver isnt usually cold enough

G Wolly
01-31-2012, 08:00 PM

^^ Lolz

G Wolly
01-31-2012, 08:02 PM
Also, any chance that a indoor football arena would crank the A/C if it meant it could host a winter classic? Maybe open the roof..

As much as I hate to say it, Dallas would be perfect to try that one. Open the roof, and with that huge ass scoreboard, there would be prime viewing for everyone there.

So long as they pick us to play against them.

P.S.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/CgQtNJWI-RI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

G Wolly
02-01-2012, 02:41 PM
You're absolutely out of your mind if you honestly believe that. Philly, Detroit, and Pittsburgh are GOOD teams that will draw a national audience. No one cares about the Sabres....................

I'm not being a homer about it. My point is that if they get to be in it twice then we should have as much of a reason to be in it again too.

There are about 20 other teams that are allowed to be in it too. I don't wanna keep seeing the same team in it every other year.

Demon
02-01-2012, 04:31 PM
well you can probably count out the canadian cities... they have the heritage classic, so my guess, minnesota, new jersey, yankee stadium, colorodo, but denver isnt usually cold enough

From what i've read, Yankee Stadium is a guarantee in 2015. They have the Pinestripe Bowl is signed until the end of the 2013 season, so it wouldn't give the crew enough time to set the rink up before.

SabreEleven
02-02-2012, 07:39 AM
Sabres are due for the All Star games...35 years since the last one.