X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cali512
    • Jan 2012

RBs throwing the ball away?

I watched the pro bowl yesterday and on one play Lynch went to the outside and while getting tackled tried throwing it forward to Cam Newton. It was ruled incomplete as the ball landed a few feet from him. Now my question is, when a RBs running to the outside, and they know theres defenders, can they just throw the ball out of bounds? Now think of the lynch play years back where he threw a TD to robert royal. Now he got the pitch and threw it, but what if the defenders covered Royal and there was no where to go, could he throw it away? I dont see why not, if the ball miss Royal it wouldve been incomplete. So why dont they do it? I see the risk of a fumble but if they have enough time just pitch it out of bounds. Ive never seen it done before.
    Not here to be right, just here to have interesting discussions about my impulsive opinions
  • Ickybaluky
    • Jul 2003

Re: RBs throwing the ball away?

If a lineman is more than 5 yards down-field it is a penalty. Or, if a WR is blocking before he throws it then it is offensive interference. There are rules to passing the ball that involve all players, not just the thrower.

In the pro bowl the rules are relaxed (for instance, there is no intentional grounding). They don't call the games the same way, and they let a lot of things go.

Comment

• Cali512
      • Jan 2012

Originally posted by Ickybaluky
      If a lineman is more than 5 yards down-field it is a penalty. Or, if a WR is blocking before he throws it then it is offensive interference. There are rules to passing the ball that involve all players, not just the thrower.

In the pro bowl the rules are relaxed (for instance, there is no intentional grounding). They don't call the games the same way, and they let a lot of things go.

Never even thought about this haha. Thanks, it just striked the thought in my head after seeing it. Didnt think bout the play call and what the players will be doing
      Not here to be right, just here to have interesting discussions about my impulsive opinions

Comment

• G Wolly
        • Mar 2004

I suppose they could, so long as there wasn't already a forward pass and he's behind the line of scrimmage.

Comment

• stuckincincy
          Buffalo Bills Fan
          • Sep 2003

Originally posted by G Wolly
          I suppose they could, so long as there wasn't already a forward pass and he's behind the line of scrimmage.
          Right - only 1 forward pass allowed per play. Shovel passes count.

Re Lynch - fumbles no longer advance the ball for the offense since the infamous OAK Dave Casper incident. I *guess* a ruling would say that Lynch effectively took a knee when he pitched the ball, and the ball gets spotted there.
          Last edited by stuckincincy; 01-31-2012, 02:01 PM.
          Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Comment

Working...
          X